The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Inmate Zero.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, thanks!

3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Ex Machina (2015): Part of a course at uni. We watched this today to sort of close/finalize the course prior to handing in the papers by the end of the month. So, anyway, the movie: I liked how this has such a cold vibe and deliberate low-key atmosphere to it. The plot outline may not be that innovative, but it was very well translated into film and gets you thinking at times, too. The three main characters' portrayals were excellent. Highly recommended for science fiction fans :)

3 Days in Quiberon (2018): For reasons I can't quite make out, the stories of women going through lots of crap in their lives, suffering from the betrayal of their surroundings, hit me harder than most other tropes in storytelling. This film deals with an interview austrian-born actress Romy Schneider held with an up-and-coming journalist from the german "Stern" magazine in 1981, during a rehab somewhere in northern france. Shot in black-and-white, the images of Schneider's growing depression and borderline-like personality disorders are heartbreaking. The journalist starts to realize he has developed deep feelings for his interview subject, while maintaining his arrogant attitude towards everyone else. We get very little plot, but it's all here nonetheless, the deep drama, the incredible sadness of Schneider's life (in the movie and in reality), those short moments of pure joy before waking up with a hangover to find everything is even worse than before. Definitely an unforgettable film that really moved me while watching it.

Saintbert likes this.
  4. Michael

Upstream Color

harmonica98 likes this.
  5. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Even better than "The Manster" :D
    [​IMG]

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  6. Karnak

Karnak "81-82-83-84..."

Chilly Scenes Of Winter(aka - Head over Heels) - on Bluray, Twilight Time, 1979, 2017. First viewed on TCM years ago-when it had an intro by Robert Osborne-, still enjoy its gentle quirkiness.
    [​IMG]

7. Michael

The Color Of Money

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

Bus Stop, from 1956 with Marilyn Monroe, in HD.
    I really enjoyed it this time.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Many of the Big Lots stores currently have Bus Stop, The Misfits & How to Marry a Millionaire on blu for $5 each at the moment.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

"X-Men Dark Phoenix - Very good & it may
    be because I never read the comics so the
    story is new to me.
    [​IMG]

11. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

Downsizing.

totally bizarre! didn't seem to know what it wanted to be. thought it had great promise but went down a couple of left turns.

12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

Oh thank you, well I ordered a copy on ebay for $7 after seeing it tonight. Oh well. With shipping and tax from Big Lots stores it's maybe about the same. Thanks though!
    And thanks about the others too; I have The Misfits and How To Marry A Millionaire in the Forever Marilyn Blu-ray set which gives you a great price for 7 movies in exchange for flimsy near non-existent packaging...

13. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Harum Scarum (1965) Action hero, Johnny Tyrone (Elvis Presley), is kidnapped while on a promotional tour of the Middle East. After that nothing makes a lick of sense. Elvis sings one song while knocked out cold and another as a reflection in a pool. When the cast and crew complained about the film Col. Tom suggested a talking camel. You can't argue with logic like that!!

Raylinds and Jimmy B. like this.
  14. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Another Netflix crime indie film with a bought at a festival vibe that I liked was Shimmer Lake (2017). These two films go together in my mind.

Shimmer Lake (2017) - IMDb

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Forum Resident

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
    The Cheyenne Social Club (1970)

16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

On my list of films to see! Thanks.

17. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'1917' (2019) - outstanding, bravo Sam Mendes.

18. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

Hey, me too! Last night anyway. It's currently playing at our local indie/arthouse theatre and the sound system was ok. I did hear some surround action. Figure this one will sound awesome in Atmos.

harmonica98 likes this.
  19. Michael

Ghost Story BD

20. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

The Producers (1968) Blu-Ray

jhm, Jimmy B. and moomoomoomoo like this.
  21. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This one gets a lot of high marks (assuming you aren't talking about the older one from the 80s), but the premise sounds really weak. What did you think?

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

which one are you referring to?

23. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

The more recent one - the guy with a sheet over him.

24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

woops I thought it said Ghost World
    I read that....
    odd.

25. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

Spinout (1966) Mike McCoy (Elvis Presley) a racing car driver who sings in clubs has three woman who want to marry him, an author, an heiress and a drummer. Plus the heiress' father wants Mike to drive his prototype car in the big race. Theodore J Flicker (The President's Analyst) wrote a sendup of an Elvis film and then got Elvis to star in it. The music is pure Las Vagus grind. The title track is totally amazing and the way it's shot influenced Tarantino. (the arrangement is totally a rip off of Maria Dallas' song Ambush)

Raylinds and Jimmy B. like this.