The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Chariots Of Fire (1981)

2. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]

BABY DRIVER – 2017
    A sound track this good can usually keep me happy regardless of what's on the screen, and this one does so through the first hour. Really enjoyed the performance of Ansel Elgort in the title role, and look forward to seeing his Tony in Spielberg's remake of West Side Story. Lily James as his love interest was also engaging. But the gang, including Kevin Spacey, were cliched and cartoony and never clicked for me. The plot seemed to give out about 45 minutes short of the finish line, and limped its way to the ending. Still, some genuinely exciting car chase scenes, nice chemistry between the Elgort and James, and a killer soundtrack – an decent evening's entertainment.

ando here likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

I had no idea this had been released, thank you for the post. I am a huge fan of the Australian Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries TV series. Unfortunately, imo this film was nowhere as good as the series. 2 problems: the biggest being that the first season (& I think part of the second) were based on Kerry Greenwood's excellent stories. As they ran out of original stories, the show slowly went downhill.

This film has little to do with the series; the 2 main characters remain & the next 2 regulars in the series got about 2 minutes.

The TV series combines 20's Flappers with Murder She Wrote & a lot of humor.

This is somewhat of a spinoff of Brenden Fraser's version of the Mummy & Indiana Jones (without the silly monsters), with a small amount of the TV series for flavor. It isn't awful by any means (I really thought Fraser's remake of The Mummy was so bad Karloff was rolling in his grave!), but nowhere near as good as the sadly only 3 season long series (imo).

The other issue is while a very good actress, Eddie Davis was too old to play the role she was given even in season 1, & now she's aged several years, but the character is still supposed top be a youngish though very intelligent flapper.

Still glad I got to see it, I owe fitzysbuna a big thank you.

Mylene likes this.
  4. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"All Things Must Pass" (2015)
    Colin Hanks (Tom's son) directed this bittersweet documentary about the rise and fall of the iconic record-store chain. Man, I still miss Tower Records. :(

5. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

longdist01 and Karnak like this.
  6. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

In The Soup (1992)

Loved it .

unclefred, Jimmy B. and ries like this.
  7. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Netflix - Farmageddon
    The funniest film I've seen in years, live action or animation.
    Enough visual gags and puns and film references for three movies.
    Simply wonderful - I'll stop here.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

End Of Watch ( 2012)
    Rate this highly.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about the alternate ending?

10. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Forum Resident

you have to give them a bit of break on the film ! done on the strictest of budgets ( I think this was done for less the $20 mil maybe even less than 10 mil ) you can see where they were aiming for. if the film makes its money back there will probably be another one.

11. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

I am glad they did it at all.

fitzysbuna likes this.
  12. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Mansfield Park (1999) - I'm not a Jane Austen fan, and a lot of those who are evidently hate this adaptation, but the cast is strong, even though I'd never heard of any but Harold Pinter.

ando here likes this.
  13. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I've watched two these past couple of days.
    From 1974, Conrack, starring Jon Voight. My first viewing of this old movie, and I enjoyed it. I had no idea it was based on a Pat Conroy book.
    The Irishman on Netflix. I wasn't in a hurry to watch this one because I knew I would have the reaction I did. It was an okay movie, and worth watching, but I've seen DeNiro, Pesci, Pacino, and Keitel plays these rolls now for a few decades, and better than they did in this one. Most of the actors seemed sort of wooden. I thought the anti-aging was unconvincing.

unclefred and Slack Babbath like this.
  14. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

The Grateful Dead Movie

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Weird Science. Classic silliness. The Arrow blu-ray looks great.

SandAndGlass, longdist01 and Karnak like this.
  16. This was shown to us in the seventh grade and I've finally found it-thanx to youtube. Now, I can say I've seen it twice. The Red Kite -National Film Board Of Canada, 1965. Just a wonderful little film.

ando here likes this.
  17. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Patton (1970, Franklin J. Schaffner)

[​IMG]

"When you put your hand in a pile of goo that a moment ago was your best friends face - you'll know what to do."

Nothing like Ol Blood 'N Guts after a Cher show. :laugh:

Scriptwriter, F.F. Coppola's intro -

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

... There and Then. Two moronic brothers form a band and, in about the time it takes for a haircut, become the biggest thing on Earth. While Jagger will practically kill himself to get an audience going Liam Gallagher does as little as possible (hitting a tambourine is about the limit to his activity) because of his hatred for his own brother (this is actually a remake of East of Eden) he'll sing for a bit then wander into the space between the audience and the stage and wait o the song is over. Around this time they'd recorded two albums and a pile of singles and they basically didn't have a dud song in their armory so there's no deep cuts just classic after classic. To show the crowd they're NOT The Beatles they encore with a Slade song showing they know their place in the history of Rock /n/ Roll before Q or Record Collector did. The guy who compiles The Jam and Style Council boxsets interviews Guigsey and Bonehead. That's the kind of upside down world it was in the 90's. Unmissable!!!

Staxus, brownie61 and Karnak like this.
  19. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Ender's Game. I loved this film. Now I have to read the book.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  20. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I really enjoyed that one. It was very inspiring to me as a woman. I don't know why it did so poorly at the box office and most critics trashed it.
    I need to stop reading reviews. I wish the Starz channels would stop rating movies and let the audience decide whether they like the films or not.

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  21. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Conrack is a simply wonderful film .
    Jon Voight is superb.
    Everyone should watch it .

Borgia likes this.
  22. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Wailing (2016) - Showed it to a friend that likes to figure out endings. This one stumped her.

23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Got 5 movies in this last week. The first four were new to me.

Knives Out
    Toy Story 4
    A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Midnight Cowboy
    The Fog (1980)

longdist01 and Morpheus like this.
  24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

We watched Kubrick's The Killing. I have to say it wasn't as good as I remembered it from many years ago. I am a big Kubrick aficionado though.

longdist01 and ando here like this.
  25. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Watched Three Kings again. Still a good film even if a bit predictable.

longdist01 and ando here like this.