The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Spawn of the Slithis on Amazon Prime. Not a good film. Radiation has created a slimy fish-man creature that is eating local dogs and residents. A high school journalism teacher is on the case! With the help of his hired boat captain (who did provide me with some chuckles) they hope to capture the beast. They essentially fail. This movie was written and directed by Stephen Traxler, who went on to work on much bigger movies, though not as a writer or director. It came out in 1978 and that's perhaps its greatest charm. It's fantastically 70s, from furniture and color choices, electronics and, of course, fashion. It could have been a classic (some folks on IMDB love it) if it had been better paced and a little more off the rails. Instead, there are lots of conversations. Lots. The police chief is funny also. Just kind of a low budget mess. The transfer on Amazon is pretty fantastic looking, however. It was well shot on 35mm film and the HD tranfer really lets you take in the 70s of it all.

[​IMG]

If you grew up in Venice, California in the late 70s, it might provide an extra layer of fun.

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just saw for the first time SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON. Very very good, how one mam and a mad wife went down together. Better than I remember The Haunting for some eeriness but this was better. Great atmosphere in B&W with John Barry music.

unclefred likes this.
  3. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

4. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - truly enjoyed it, also 3 hours of not worrying or paying attention to the news or reading some of the forums here.

vapor minor, ando here and Mylene like this.
  5. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Enjoy Midnight Cowboy. The early shots of the film were shot around a town I used to live in. Big Spring Texas Midnight Cowboy Locations - Bing images

Pawnmower and longdist01 like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you do! LOL most of the time they are wrong and I never agree with them...Ignore the reviews and read the synopsis...

7. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Don't shoot me but I never heard of Edgar Wright. Thanks for the post. Apparently, the guy is steeped in film history (love that). Wright on Baby Driver:

cool streamer

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Steve Minkin likes this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

This is Spinal Tap. I haven't seen this since it came out. Almost every line of dialogue has become a cliche (much more than I remembered) and the way they've put the deleted scenes together on disc 2 is practically an alternate version of the film. Billy Crystal appears for about 5 seconds in the film and five minutes in the outtakes. The most impressive thing is the story arc (you need to see it a couple of times to fully appreciate it). Easily Rob Reiner's best film.

9. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

One of my favorite from Kubrick. The cast is perfect.

unclefred and Jazzmonkie like this.
  10. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Network
    (1976, Sidney Lumet)

The original meme movie. No one gets this mad about much any more. Watch it on your iPhone. Classic.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  11. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

A Family Thing (1996)

12. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Moonrise Kingdom (2012)

Gollum and longdist01 like this.
  13. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The Circle (2017): The book left me underwhelmed, so expectations were low. Surprisingly, the adaption work was alright, most of the cast were good fits, but the ending was unneccessarily watered down in my opinion. Meh.

14. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

"Jumanji: The Next Level"
    [​IMG]

15. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Crossing Delancey (1988)

16. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Just finished watching Rocketman
    Not what I expected but again another 2 plus hours of mindless entertainment to take me away from the state of the world today.
    need to find something for tomorrow.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Spinal Tap extras. Over an hour of deleted scenes, four music videos, 3 commercials for Rock 'n' Rolls that aired in Australia, commentary and a couple of things I haven't found yet.

Just the remedy for Cabin Fever

longdist01, Jimmy B. and Tim S like this.
  18. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Un Flic' (1972) on Mubi. Melville's last film and what a way to go out. Absolutely wonderful.

vapor minor likes this.
  19. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

some movies I watched in the past month or two

Like Crazy (2011) - nice romantic drama with Felicity Jones, Anton Yelchin and Jennifer Lawrence, I've seen it before, but watched it again recently
    A Monster Calls (2016) - another one with Felicity Jones, good movie but very sad and hard to watch
    The Wind: Demons of the Prairie (2018) - slow to develop thriller with some supernatural and feminist undertones
    Alita: Battle Angel (2019) - nice science fiction, reminded me of Blade Runner and the more recent Elysium and Ghost in the Shell
    Crawl (2019) - fun crocodile action/thriller

20. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'David Lynch: The Art Life' (2016) on DVD. Essential for fans and those with an interest in the creative process.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Oh wow we watched this on Wednesday night. That final scene on the boat was laughable. Looks good but yeah...everything you say...

We watched Demon of Paradise which is kinda similar two nights later. Hmmmm.

Last night however, we started our 30 movie marathon of the legendary Carry on Movies. We are going in date order so it was Carry On Sergeant. Good fun.

longdist01 and Pinknik like this.
  22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (2018).

longdist01 and unclefred like this.
  23. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) on BD

24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth'.

25. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark But I'm innocent! Swan stole my music & framed me!