Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

[​IMG]
    FANTASTIC!!!
    Brute Force from 1947, starring Burt Lancaster and Hume Cronyn.
    The second time I saw this (first was rental on Amazon Prime a year or so ago),
    just got used NM DVD. Great great movie.
    I think maybe some of it inspired some parts of The Shawshank Redemption - and Cronyn's part maybe influenced also the Percy character on the Green Mile as well as the warden at Shawshank - maybe.

2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

Just added to my IMDB watchlist, I like Ida Lupino, haven't seen much of her though.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

She's great, imo. She doesn't act in this one, only directs. Some of the ones worth checking out include They Drive By Night, The Bigamist, The Seawolf & any of the 4 Star Playhouse 50's TV episodes she starred in. I just also looked her up on IMDB; it looks like she's got a number of 30's films I haven't seen. She also directed 42 films & TV shows (again per IMDB) which was unheard of for a female after the silnt era & before the 60's.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Jimmy B. likes this.
  4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

Oh okay, thank you!
    Yeah I was kind of rushing before, as I wanted to see Better Call Saul, only forgetting I had to wait an hour, til it's over, to get the AMC Free (unless I'm mistaken),
    and seeing Ida Lupino's name reminded me of how I've liked her in stuff like The Twilight Zone, like the 16 Millimeter Shrine and such, and I've seen her raved about on the Blu-ray forum, the box set,
    and I saw you wrote most famous movie - it sunk in later as I started to watch a movie "wait, he gave it a 6" i.e. not a glowing one (plus she produced a lot that she wasn't actually in).
    Thanks for the recommendations though.
    One movie I've had down as wanting to see but haven't yet is one called While The City Sleeps.
    Directed 42 films and TV shows, wow....

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

I saw a movie talked about on here before, which I started to watch about a week or so ago but stopped 'cause the opening narration bothered me and I thought it would continue through the whole picture that way - The Killing.
    Great movie.
    (1956, Sterling Hayden - and with a small part by a young, skinny Timothy Carey, star of the masterpiece The World's Greatest Sinner! Always fun to see him in those beach movies, and he was in East Of Eden, etc....)

Jazzmonkie, vapor minor and Mylene like this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

He's great in Head too. He's the guy who says "Don't you ever ... ever .. laugh at no cripples"

j_rocker and Jimmy B. like this.
  7. moomoomoomoo

I'm very fond of Better Call Saul also. Saw Ep 7 tonight.

Funny, other than the TV series', I'm not sure where I developed my appreciation of Lupino. I literally own thousands of dvd's & 200-300 blu-rays; & I don't remember titles well that aren't either somewhat famous or that I haven't watched lately. I know Lupino has never disappointed me. While the City Sleeps sounds very familiar. Oh: it's a Fritz Lang. I'm sure I've seen it (I'm a huge Lang fan; especially of his early German work; but he also did some great Noir's in Hollywood). I Don't remember the plot at the moment.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  8. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016) – A genuine cops and robbers story, tightly focused on the personalities of the two bank robbers and the two cops chasing them. Fine movie, nominee for Best Picture Oscar, great bleak west Texas look, strong soundtrack by Nick Cave and others. And although the film contains the long silences that the flat, treeless landscape evokes, the script is peppered with many clever, laugh-out-loud lines.

A poor family is about to lose their farm, the older brother just got out of jail again, the younger brother is divorced from the mother of his children, and the brothers' mother is dying. Oil has recently been discovered on the property, so the younger brother is desperate to keep it for his boys. So he enlists his criminally out-of-control brother in his scheme to rob several local banks and buy the family farm.

Chasing them is a grizzled Jeff Bridges as a Texas Ranger a few months from retirement, and his Comanche/ Mexican Ranger sidekick.

Beautifully done, character-centric movie, great visuals and script, stays strong by staying small.

j_rocker, Karnak, longdist01 and 6 others like this.
  9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

Three very different movies I enjoyed a lot over the last two days: "War Room" (Great story & Miss Clara
    is wonderful!) / "On The Waterfront" (A great classic!) / "Ghost World" (Enjoyed every minute of this!)
    [​IMG]

Mylene, longdist01 and Jimmy B. like this.
  10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Miller's Crossing' (1990) on DVD. I don't think I have watched this again since buying the DVD way back when. What a great screenplay.

DPM, longdist01, EddieMann and 3 others like this.
  11. Caught Citizen Kane the other night, again. Enh. Not the world's greatest film, even in its time. I prefer Touch Of Evil. I like Welles' acting better in The Third Man. Still haven't seen most of OW's creations. None of his Shakespeare films.

12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I watched The Fearless Vampire Killers just to check out the blu. Really great cinematography and worth picking up even if you have the DVD.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Double Indemnity (1944) Blu-Ray

14. moomoomoomoo

Great film! Though with Stanwyck, Robinson & Wilder could it have been anything but great?!

For those who grew up in the early 60'sas I did, it was quite an awakening to learn that Fred McMurray was more than just the dufus dad on Bringing up Father!

Jimmy B. and longdist01 like this.
  15. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

My Three Sons.
    (I had to look on IMDB and see what Bringing Up Father was now)
    The first time I saw him play a bad guy was in The Apartment.
    This of course is a different kind of level.

longdist01 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

Crumb (1994) via you tube.

DPM likes this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

Oops, my bad! I really hated that show, lol!

18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Not Safe for Work. Low budget thriller on Netflix. Only 1 hour and 14 minutes. Wasn't expecting much but it turned out to be very good.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

There Will be Blood.
    Had never seen it before. It was pretty good.

DPM and longdist01 like this.
  20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

CLUE on Amazon Prime. From 1985, I think, and starring everyone. Clue is a comedy whodunnit based on the board game of the same name. It’s silly, but pretty funny here and there throughout. Also, there’s Yvette and Leslie Ann Warren to see. Not my favorite comedy whodunnit, which would be MURDER BY DEATH. Still, fun light entertainment.

longdist01 likes this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Gaslight (1944) Blu-Ray

SandAndGlass and Jimmy B. like this.
  22. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I'm a Shakespeare freak, seen them all. The pick of the litter is Chimes At Midnight, with Welles as Falstaff. I'm including a review I did for another music board:

CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT, 1966

Orson Welles' "Fallstaff" film, which I had never seen before, understandable since it was unavailable for most of the decades of my life.

This is a masterpiece, one of the greatest of all the Shakespeare productions on film, and one of Welles' very best. [He said Chimes at Midnight was his favorite film, Citizen Kane notwithstanding. "If I wanted to get into heaven on the basis of one movie, that's the one I would offer up. I think it's because it is to me the least flawed; let me put it that way. It is the most successful for what I tried to do. I succeeded more completely in my view with that than with anything else."] It is as quirky as his Macbeth and Othello, but much more fully realized than either of those. I've only seen it once, but it reminds me of nothing less than the Brooks/ Scofield "Lear," my favorite of all Shakespeares on film – stark, visually gorgeous, powerful, idiosyncratic, and brilliantly acted.

Here is Roger Ebert's appreciation of the film: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great ... night-1965

This is retelling of Henry IV parts 1 & 2 (plus tiny bits of Richard II, Merry Wives, and Henry V), with Falstaff in the foreground and the political drama as the landscape. John Gielguld as Prince Hal's father, Henry IV, is magisterial in the role. His gravitas is weighty enough to move the historical plot single-handedly, although it doesn't fall entirely on him. Some of King Henry's key speeches are left more or less intact – 'uneasy lies the head that wears a crown' and his dying to advice to Harry to start a foreign war to take the heat off his domestic problems (even as we do today). Margaret Rutherford and Jeanne Moreau give life to the tavern/ bawdy house, and other accomplished actors fill out the cast. And Welles was born to play Falstaff.

Considering Welles never had more than 180 extras working for him at any one time, the big scenes are extraordinary illusions as well as masterpieces of film and visual art. The Battle of Shrewsbury (you'll swear there are thousands of soldiers) and the brothel dance scene both sizzle with life and seem immense.

Hal's rejection of Falstaff (after his coronation) still stings, but there is a wonderful moment in this production where we can see Hal's view of Fallstaff sink before our eyes. Following Hal's killing of Hotspur ("O Harry, thou hadst robbed me of my youth"), Falstaff makes the outrageous claim that Hotspur rose again after the Prince thought he killed him, and it was actually Falstaff who killed the rebel. It's a comic scene, everybody knows Falstaff always lies about these things, but in this production it is also clear that Hal sees it as disrespectful to Percy and to the seriousness of the implications for England, and he looks at Falstaff with obvious contempt.

I love this film! If you're into Welles or Shakespeare, it's a must see. If you're not, you still might want to check it out.

23. thanks for this. I was hoping for some help along that line.

24. moomoomoomoo

You Never Know Women (1926) Kino blu-ray 5/10

Very nice print, but the newly recorded HD audio track has some irritating distortion.

I've been really into silent films for about 10 years. I don't know if I'm burning out on them, or if I've just already seen most of the good ones, but this & a few others I've seen the last few months have bored me to tears.

Not much of a plot here; not enough to carry it for the whopping 71 minutes.

25. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

GREAT movie!

SandAndGlass and longdist01 like this.