Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien. I don't belong on here.

[​IMG]
    Sayonara (1957) starring Marlon Brando, with Red Buttons and Miko Taka.
    My third time seeing this (saw on Amazon Prime free there in HD).
    It was okay. Has its moments, some good scenes in there.
    I wish I could find where I read, maybe a year or so ago,
    how Brando didn't get along with the director (or producer?) at all
    so he basically "sleepwalked" sort of, through the movie,
    created a southern accent (of SOME kind! - ?!?) that didn't work with someone from West Point,
    and also throwing away tons of dialogue or changing it because he just didn't care about the film, he had too much contempt for, whoever was in charge.
    A pretty good movie, an anti-racist one.

2. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

The Numbers Station (2013)

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fata Morgana (1971)

longdist01 likes this.
  4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Pharos of Chaos' (1983) on Mubi. Rather extraordinary documentary based on a series of interviews with actor Sterling Hayden. Alternatively funny, rambling, touching and tragic. Very much recommended.

Plinko likes this.
  5. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

The Servant directed by Joseph Losey on MUBI. Amazing film and imo Dirk Bogarde's best role. Very menacing character.

[​IMG]

harmonica98, Plinko and Mylene like this.
  6. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Dreamcatcher

7. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - Very pre-code Lubitsch comedy with Maurice Chevalier, Claudette Colbert and Miriam Hopkins.

Arthur Pewty and moomoomoomoo like this.
  8. Plinko

Plinko Forum Resident

Drive

Albert Brooks plays an enjoyable, rather nasty villain. Stylish noir starring Ryan Gosling as “Driver”. Loved the mask.

vapor minor and longdist01 like this.
  9. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Seven Samurai, on TCM.

Jimmy B., ando here and Jazzmonkie like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Gaslight (1940) British version

harmonica98 likes this.
  11. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Teen Wolf (1985). Another silly slice of the 1980s. Not without its charms.

13. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE DAWN WALL (2017) – It took them nineteen days to do it, but this is story of Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgenson completing the first free climb up the Dawn Wall of El Capitan. It took a week for Kevin to complete Pitch 15 after Tommy had done it, but Tommy waited for him to catch up.

Tommy had been a pro climber since his teenaged years. On a sponsored climbing trip to Kyrgyzstan, he and his two fellow climbers were kidnapped by rebels and held hostage for six days. At one point, when they were only guarded by a single rebel, Tommy pushed him off a cliff, and they escaped.

The thought of having killed somebody plunged him into a depression. (He later learned the rebel survived the fall.) Tommy then cut off an index finger in a power saw accident, which everybody thought would end his climbing career.

Yosemite and El Capitan in particular had been central in Tommy's life growing up and through his climbing years. He had climbed every existing trail up El Capitan and was blazing new ones. The Dawn Wall had always been considered impossible, and became his obsession.

The scenes of Tommy and Kevin climbing or camped on a tiny portaledge overhanging nothing are hard to take your eyes from. Having acrophobia, as I do, enhances the thrill of a movie like this. But I think most folks with a pulse will enjoy this tough and exhilarating sports story.

14. Jimmy B.

The Days of Wine and Roses from 1962 starring Jack Lemmon and the beautiful Lee Remick.
    It wasn't as great as I remembered.
    Great acting though.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

The Revenant is a movie I seen before. Even with everything uncertain today I am glad not to live in those times.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Ride The High Country' (1962) on DVD.

I had a great need to watch Randolph Scott today. Great film.

17. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"The Avengers" (1998)
    No, not the Marvel ones. This update of the campy '60s British spy TV series stars Ralph Fiennes as the prim-and-proper Agent Steed and Uma Thurman as the foxy Mrs. Peel, battling a mad scientist (Sean Connery) who has figured out how to control and weaponize the world's weather.
    Connery looks like he's having fun playing a Bond style super villain and Uma fills out Mrs. Peel's trademark catsuit nicely, but the movie is a muddle of scenes that mostly go nowhere, till stuff starts exploding towards the end.
    Legend has it that the failure of this film (and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" two years later) hastened Sir Connery's decision to retire from acting. I can't say I blame him.

18. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

19. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Early Hitchcock (1927) - I really appreciated his ability to tell a story visually as there are very few intertitles for a silent film. Made right after "The Lodger."
    [​IMG]

20. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

The Panic in Needle Park

21. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

bohemian rhapsody

i was a HUGE queen fan growing up in the late 70's and 80's .... and the only other musical bio pic i actually liked was 'walk the line' ...

so i was pleasantly surprised ....

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Golden (2019) Kylie Minogue's tour to promote her latest album. Kylie loves her audience and the audience gives it back ten times over. The show starts in a bus depot and ends in Studio 54. Lots of deep cuts and lots of newer songs she'll keep on the backburner for the next couple of tours. Highlight? She mashes up Slow with Fade to Grey.

23. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

2 films today:
    Three Amigos (1986)
    Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987)

vastly different (understatement). Loved them both

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Pretty In Pink on Amazon Prime. I hadn't seen this since it came out in theaters, where it didn't really do much for me. It fared a little better this time around, but I would say it's probably my least favorite of the John Hughes teen comedies. Something about everyone at this high school being either a quirky preppy or a quirky hipster punk didn't seem relatable to my teenage self, unlike The Breakfast Club. Harry Dean Stanton plays a good broken man, though he might have been a little heavy for this film. Though that could be because I saw Paris,Texas last week. :) Interesting to see a handful of people that I didn't remember being in it including Dweezil Zappa, Andrew Dice Clay and Gina Gershon. It had also been long enough ago, that I forgot that Annie Potts was her friend from the record store.

Karnak likes this.
  25. Jimmy B.

[​IMG]
    Lost Angel (1943). Just wonderful. Heartwarming movie.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020