Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

The Freddie/Queen bio pic 'Bohemian Rhapsody' last night on cable.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  2. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Floriduh Project

Ghostworld and longdist01 like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Frances Ha (2012) if John Casavettes and QuentinTarantino were girls and they wrote and directed a film respectively it might look something like this. Sparkling, quotable dialogue, laugh out loud situations and an unexpected trip to Paris. If you haven't seen it you're missing out big time. Great use of songs by Bolan, Bowie and Hot Chocolate. STREAM IT NOW!!!!

vapor minor likes this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Trouble No More (DVD included in the Bob Dylan box) Michael Shannon plays a preacher man telling us we're all going to Hell interspersed with Dylan singing about a similar subject. Between Rolling Thunder and this Dylan has aged about 150 years.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

If you like movies heavy on metaphor (although most of what you need to know about this movie can be learnt from its title along with the opening scene with a birds nest) that doesn't offer an explanation for events, and makes its 98 minute run time feel like 144 minutes......... then this is for you. I can't help thinking they wasted a lot of potential here. But then if they had pursued the threads I'd of liked, it would have been a very different movie, with less (much less) nuance.

I wanted to love this, but by the end I was getting a little bored. At another time, in a different frame of mind, it might feel like a classic. Other times, tedious.

6. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I watched the original Wicker Man from 1973

it disturbed me, and I was surprised in a good way at its effectiveness.

Was NOT expecting what I saw, went into it knowing nothing about remake or anything

Karnak, Ghostworld, jhm and 2 others like this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Knowing Rod Stewart tried to buy the negative and destroy it makes it even better.

8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lovely Creatures (DVD that came with the Nick Cave box) 2 hours plus of non chronological footage of Nick and the bad seeds taken from old video, YouTube, feature films, documentaries, mobile phones etc. Really tells a story.

9. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Cul De Sac (1966)
    Dir .Roman Polanski

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Queen Live at the Rainbow '74. There's a bit in the middle where Freddie sits down at the piano after singing two verses of White Queen (As it Began) and what he plays is completely mind-blowing, all of a sudden the band sounds bigger and much more powerful. Apart from that there's more Brian songs than Freddie songs and the encore Hey Big Spender/Jailhouse Rock actually seems to work. Bonus material: two songs from the same venue earlier in the year (the rest of the footage is lost and Queen wants it back!!!)

11. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Spy Kids

12. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'The Ballad of Cable Hogue' (1970) on DVD. Undemanding fun.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The Furious 7

14. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Johnny Guitar

I'm watching Dr Zhivago on bluray. I'd love to see this on 4k, blu ray. My player does a good job of up scaling but a when remaster with proper hdr would be brilliant.
    This movie is made for 4k bluray.

Karnak and longdist01 like this.
  15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Werewolves on Wheels on Amazon Prime (I think via Shout)

From the early 1970s comes a tale of a motorcycle gang that runs afoul of some Satanic monks. Yeah, that’s right. And the monks perform a ritual that turns the hottest biker chick into a werewolf. Yup. Then she infects the lead biker with lycanthropy and things get bloody from there. I must admit I was surfing the web as I watched, so I didn’t devote my full attention to it. My take away, however, is that this is . . . meh. Some the acting is not the worst, some of the characters are kinda interesting, some of the cinematography is nicely done. There’s gotdang werewolf bikers! And yet.

Tim S likes this.
  16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Probably no film could live up to that title. It's sorta ok, but there's not near enough werewolves or motorcycles. Unsatisfying, despite the fantastic premise.

Pinknik likes this.
  17. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Action Point.

18. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Exonctly!

19. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

X-Men: Apocalypse--big extravaganza, but I was in the mood and enjoyed it.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail--rewatch

longdist01 and Mylene like this.
  20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

In The Mouth of Madness (1994) on Shudder

I first saw this film on VHS sometime in the 90s and liked it quite a bit. Just watched again tonight and I think it holds up. Sam Neill plays an insurance claim investigator who has to track down a missing author in order to refute or prove a claim issued by the publishing company (headed up by Charlton Heston). As he begins to investigate, it becomes apparent that the author's books are having an odd effect on some of his readers. They're beginning to show signs of schizophrenia and losing their grip on reality. The further Neill's character gets in his investigation, the further his grip on reality loosens. Like a horror STRANGER THAN FICTION (w/ Will Ferrell) it has fun with what is the truth, what is real, what is madness? I like it.

Karnak likes this.
  21. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

The Violent Men, staring Glen Ford, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson and Brian Keith. A western I'd never seen or heard of before and really liked it.

22. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

I need to check that out. No idea how I missed a Robinson/Stanwyck collaboration!

Edit: Oops, I have it. & based on where it's filed, it appears I have watched it. My 62 yo brain seems to have forgotten it exists.

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978)
    Criterion Blu-Ray, ...watch Supplements...

*interviews w/ Bob Gale, Bob Zemeckis & Steven Spielberg...Amazing what you learn on Mentoring and "Making of"!

24. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Joker. Joaquin Phoenix is superb. One of the best actors of his generation. Very disturbing movie but you actually feel empathy for the main character regardless of his brutal acts.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  25. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

The Road to Perdition - Pretty dark for a Tom Hanks movie.

BrokenByAudio and longdist01 like this.