The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

I agree Cruise's Charlie Babbitt character is a deeply flawed, a selfish, detestable ---hole with no redeeming qualities, I just found it really tiresome over 133 minutes. In the movie Collateral he plays a character that's even worse "Vincent" the assassin for hire, I really enjoyed that movie.

2. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Contagion (free with free trial of HBO) .. this movie is quite amazing as if it predicted the events of this year -- it even shows that outdoor meat market in China, bats infecting livestock, social distancing of 10ft, hoarding of groceries, etc.

3. Marc 74

Marc 74 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Want a balloon ?

jhm and Chrome_Head like this.
  4. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Part two of my Jim Henson memorial double feature is The Dark Crystal.

[​IMG]

5. Rne

Rne Sufferin' succotash!

[​IMG]
    The Devils. Ken Russell, 1971.

The first hour is quite good and then it gets ridiculous (a 17th century witch-hunter wearing Teashades can't be taken seriously no matter how brutal he gets). We all know the Inquisition was abject, but some scenes seem to be aiming only for shock value. Subtlety was not Russell's strength.

mBen989 likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

John Henry
    [​IMG]

I really love Terry Crews...longtime fan. : )

7. Django

Django Forum Resident

I watched carry on matron for about the 80th time.

8. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Moving Violations" (1985)
    A crew of misfits must graduate from city traffic school in order to regain their driver's licenses, but the hard-ass police officer in charge of the course has no intentions of letting them back on the road. Wacky hijinks ensue.
    A mostly forgotten "Police Academy" variant starring Bill Murray's younger brother John (in his first and only leading role) and a supporting cast that includes Jennifer Tilly, Wendy Jo Sperber, Fred Willlard, and even Clara "Where's the Beef?" Peller. It's dumb as hell but this one has been a guilty pleasure for me since I first saw it on HBO as a teenager.

9. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Started to watch a Hammer Horror blu-ray box set & realized I already had them on a dvd box! I got the blu dirt cheap so it's all good; but I don't feel like re-watching those films tonight.

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Temptress (1926) Greta Garbo plays the type of girl who inspires suicide, murder(s), bankruptcy and sabotage. The ending was too strong for the mid west and Canada so they shot an alternative ending where her character is slightly redeemed.

Greta was way sick of playing vamps so went into hiding for a year after reshooting the ending.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Donnie Darko: 4/5 - Excellent

[​IMG]

12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Never heard of this movie until I looked it up and then I saw the ratings, now I know why. 0% on Rotten Tomatoes is hard to achieve, really hard, how bad is this movie?

13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident

Prisoners (2013) - my first time viewing this very heavy drama / thriller. Two families in a small rural town are torn apart after their young daughters go missing. Strong performances throughout from the cast, which includes Hugh Jackman as one of the fathers pushed to the edge, and Jake Gyllenahl as the quietly intense detective on the case.

The last third gets a bit ludicrous, but it's a movie so I guess they had to do something not mundane. Also a bit long at 2 and 1/2 hours, but the editing keeps it moving, and it's certainly never boring.

Denis Villeneuve sure makes a great-looking film, I will watch anything the guy does.

9/10

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    LilacTeardrop likes this.
  14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Death Train.
    What a 'Brummie', waste of time....
    [​IMG]

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Dazed and Confused

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I like this one. I have to confess, it made little sense until I sought out some online explanations for the plot.

SandAndGlass, Jimmy B. and Deuce66 like this.
  17. Andy Smith

Andy Smith Forum Resident

I enjoyed it too. A shade different to your usual Guy Ritchie film. I like how he and the writers portrayed Solo, but I think they slightly missed capturing the essence of Illya Kuryakin.
    The wife, however, kept drifting. It didn't hold her attention. I think she was expecting more of his 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels'/'Rocknrolla approach.

Lightworker likes this.
  18. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

"Midsommar" preceded by "The Lighthouse" ( 2018, NOT the Eggars film )
    preceded by "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" ( 1931 ) preceded by "Les Miserables"
    ( 1935 ) preceded by "The Lighthouse" ( 2019 ) preceded by "Dr Jekyll and
    Mr Hyde ( 1920 ) which was preceded by I have NO kloo.

All very well worth the time.

19. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Blu-Ray (2018)

[​IMG]

harmonica98 likes this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Yes.

21. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Ad Astra--enjoyed it quite a bit.

22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Best campaign slogan ever

[​IMG]

23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Diary of a Country Priest' (1951) on Mubi. There's nothing quite like a Bresson film.

24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Vote for Pedro!

longdist01 and Tim S like this.
  25. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Bad Channels" (1992)
    Aliens invade a radio station and use its signal to miniaturize Earth women for transport back to their home planet. Our only hope is a DJ trapped inside the studio with the critters, and an intrepid TV reporter (MTV's Martha Quinn!) on the outside.
    Silly sci-fi junk from Full Moon Studios, notable for the soundtrack, which was composed by Blue Oyster Cult and also features a few forgotten hair bands like Joker and Ron Keel's Fair Game.

SandAndGlass and Derek Slazenger like this.