The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Oh...my...god...YES! My favorite line in the movie:

"Hit 'im again, Smitty!"

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I used to be the manager of a Vespa store. All the store build out was designed and equipped by the Italians.

There were these giant photo reproductions on sheets of cloth.

One of them was Audrey & Gregory riding a Vespa though Rome, from the movie.

Jimmy B. and Jerry like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Torrent (1926) Garbo's first American film. Here she plays a Spanish peasant girl who fleas to Paris and becomes an opera star. Ricardo Cortez plays the man who continually lets her down. The title torrent appears halfway through the film and only lasts ten minutes.

The Mysterious Lady (1928) After refusing to play anymore vamps Greta went into hiding for a year and came back with editorial control of her films. This starts out like her vamp films (a solider on leave goes to the opera and meets a woman who is already involved with another man) but turns it on it's head after the first ten minutes. Garbo's most frenetic silent. Lots of action.

Scratchiest silent film in the box except The Divine Woman of which only nine minutes exist.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Mary Poppins Returns (2018). Not a bad effort. Emily Blunt is really good actually. But the songs are nondescript and workaday, the plot is even more of an afterthought than was the case in the original. In short, one more totally unnecessary remake.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

Space Jam

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

8. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

"Yesterday". 2nd time this week. First time using a free HBO trial, but then I bought the movie on Vudu since it's sale priced $7.99 for UHD and I had a $2 promotional credit to use.

Sound quality was a huge improvement on the Vudu streaming compared to HBO through Amazon. Amazon sound must be MP3 at the lowest bit rate.

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The Greasy Strangler on Amazon

Well, that was . . . something. A comedy, with some funny bits, but mostly just very strange. A father and son give disco tours in Hollywood. One day, they meet Janet, who is fun loving, and they vie for her attention. Also, someone covered in a thick layer of grease is murdering the locals. It’s a film where every scene is possibly something you’ve never seen before. Possibly something you didn’t wanna see. So, there’s that.

Mylene likes this.
  10. Gladiator 4K.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) " "A single crash of cymbals and how it rocked the lives of an American family."

So many great "build up scenes" - the Ambrose Chapel scene, the Albert Hall orchestra/symphony assassination scene, the ending stairway scene with Doris Day singing loudly in the background. Just a great film overall. And the classic Hitchock humorous ending scene of Doris Day's friends still waiting for them to come back in their hotel room. The Albert Scene is masterful Hitchcok at his best. As one critic noticed, "We don't hear anything but the music. The choir singing dramatically. We see Stewart talk to the police, we don't need to know his exact words, we understand the meaning. Hitch cuts to Doris frequently, keeping the focus on her for her payoff later in the scene. He also cuts to the choir, the women dressed in white, the men in black. It's so simple but so effective, White - life, Black - death. Look at the man holding the cymbal in the first screenshot, the man who holds life and death in his hands, dressed in white and black." The power without any dialogue. As the music builds, so does the tension. Que Sera, Sera... Such a great film.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Hotel Transylvania 3 - 6 of 10

13. MikaelaArsenault

Addams Family Values

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Johnny Guitar

The devil and miss jones. This movie just cuts me up. The chemistry and interplay between Jean Arthur and Charles Coburn is nothing short of pure genius. I bought a multiregion bluray player just for movies like this. Theres such a limited amount of classics like this out here in the UK.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  15. hyntsonsvmse

Arsenic and old lace now. CG is reported as saying he hated this movie due to the overacting forced on him.
    Maybe he just didn't like being forced rather than the overacting
    For me, its an absolute riot of movie that starts at a pace that's never been matched.
    Everyone in the movie is totally insane. Not to overact would be incongruous
    Surely?

16. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I thought it was just right for the material. It must not have bothered him too much. Just look at his performance in "Monkey Business" a few years later. Maybe CG liked being directed by Hawks better than by Capra.:D

Jimmy B. and carrick doone like this.
  17. hyntsonsvmse

Absolutely.
    There's not a lot of room in the script for CG legendary improvising
    Personally I think he's absolutely brilliant in this
    I've been crying with laughter at some of the lines.
    Of course the movie was delayed for release for three years as it was actually made in 41. Maybe that irked CG. Screwball was dead by 44.

carrick doone likes this.
  18. Jazzmonkie

I've read that it was delayed because the material was considered too dark for wartime audiences and I believe it was still playing on Broadway at the time with Boris Karloff as Jonathan Brewser.

19. hyntsonsvmse

Yes the running BK gag is brilliant.
    CG has just made his first exit after nearly 40 mins. In that time there are enough gags to fill 10 lesser films. Comedy is incredibly different to write. To cram so much into almost two hours is a phenomenonal achievement.
    Raymond massy is brilliant as he goes against type.
    I've actually got the script and it makes brilliant reading

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

My Best Friend's Wedding

21. Jazzmonkie

When I was in Junior High School one of our faculty shows was "Arsenic and Old Lace." My social studies teacher played Cousin Teddy.

22. hyntsonsvmse

That's brilliant. How did it go down with the audience?
    Ive been reading the stage play script and there are extra scenes in the movie. Otherwise it seems pretty much the same word for word. Apart from grants adlibs

23. Jazzmonkie

It was a big hit. I think we kids were more appreciative of the classics back in the 1960's. ;)

hyntsonsvmse likes this.
  24. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

No Direction Home - Bob Dylan

This may be blasphemy, but i think i liked Don't Look Back better and would have preferred a more focused on the 1966 tour movie (and a separate movie dealing with Dylan's early years).

25. hyntsonsvmse

I suspect you are correct.
    Many won't watch black and white movies anymore as they can't show their fancy panels off with them
    Many people don't have a clue about the classic films from years ago. More to the point. They don't want to know
    So sad as they are missing out on so much aren't they. Plus the top movies in colour from back then look better than anything shot digitally.

Jazzmonkie likes this.