The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Superman (1978): 4/5 - charming, fun, goofy. The special effects have not aged well at all but who cares.

[​IMG]

Born on the Fourth of July: 3.5/5 - the transformation of Ron Kovic (Tom Cruise) from naive teen with big ideas to anti war veteran is worth watching.

[​IMG]

2. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Professor and the Madman (2019) Mel Gibson, Sean Penn

A pretty good movie, partially ruined for me by having read the much better book. The true story on which it is based is extraordinary – an ambitious autodidact played by Gibson convinces Oxford University that he's the man to put in charge of the new project, to create a definitive English dictionary, the OED. Gibson's character farms out the work to the whole country, asking for contributions of derivations and usages of words through the centuries. He received over 10,000 contributions from a doctor in mental institution, high quality work. He visits the man, assuming he runs the institution, and discovers his brilliant contributor is an American physician with extreme PTSD from the American Civil War, serving a life sentence for murder.

It's a great story and a great book, 'The Surgeon of Crowthorne' by Simon Winchester, later retitled The Professor and the Madman. What the movie does that pissed me off was hugely increase the roles of the widow of the man the doctor killed while delusional, as well as the roles of her family and of Gibson's wife. It may be that they felt they had to do this because the book and its main subject is intellectual and geeky, which I'm sure works better in a book than on the big screen. But it moved the story into an area that wasn't part of it.

It's a great story, and if you don't want to read the book this is an acceptable second best. But there was probably a great movie in here that didn't get made.

longdist01, jlocke08 and hyntsonsvmse like this.
  3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN. This movie looked good, was performed and produced to a polish, but in the end wasn't convincing or even particularly suspenseful. I honestly wasn't sure what had happened.

4. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Johnny Guitar

I am a fugitive from a chain gang
    This is yet another film that I cannot work out why it's not out on bluray.
    It's ya groundbreaking movie that many states in the USA banned.
    It's a terrifying story of ritual and institutional abuse.
    The worst part is that its a true story.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  5. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Eraserhead (1977)--I had not seen David Lynch's experimental, midnight movie, Eraserhead in probably thirty years. It's just as surreal and bizarre now as it ever was. It's an art film about a guy, his wife, and their malformed child in an alienating, oppressive environment--or something like that. It's better to experience it yourself.

Speak--is easy to write off as one of those teen angst movies, which is not typically something I care to watch, however, Speak is a cut above most of them. About a teen who appears to be rejected from most of the cliques and students in that school, but is dealing with past trauma that happened to her as she goes about her daily life. It's somewhat an understated film, and recommended.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  6. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Johnny Guitar

Next up is Blood on the Moon with Robert Mitchum. A noir set it the very wild west.
    Great fun

7. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Liberal Arts with Elizabeth Olson and Josh Radnor. reasonably enjoyable but ultimately disappointing film about and potential romance between a college student and an older friend of the family who went to the same college. Radnor wrote and directed also. hated the ending.

Love, Wedding, Repeat-Netflix-rom com mashup of 4 Weddings and Death at a Funeral. enjoyable cast and the first 2/3 were fun but the gimmick/twist that occurred fell flat in my opinion. wife liked it. could have been worse.

The Duchess-with Kiera Knightley and Ralph Fiennes-based on the true story english duchess Georgiana Cavendish who is a distant relative of Princess Diana. movie was pretty slow IMO. but Knightley gave a commendable performance. Fienees was very one note-maybe the man he played was also. if you enjoy english historical dramas you may like it.

8. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

on Amazon Prime-The Primary Instinct-filmed stage performance by Stephen Toblowsky, an actor you will probably recognize but may not know by name(Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day,etc) this man has seen a lot in his career and lived a very interesting life. and is also a MASTER storyteller. this film is just a great example of a man who can craft a story and present it in a powerful way. if that type of thing interests you, search this out. here is the trailer:

hoping to find/see more of him performing more of this type of thing somewhere soon. highly recommended.

9. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Great soundtrack as well.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Is this the New 4k that was released this week.
    If so Is it any better than the Blu-Ray?

longdist01 likes this.
  11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Reefer Madness and Sex Madness on Something Weird / Kino Lorber blu-ray.

These oldies but sillies are in rough shape, but they probably look as good as they ever will on this new blu-ray. Marihuana will make you laugh, fight and, eventually, go completely insane. So, careful kids. Oh, yeah, this ends with a suicide. Damn Mary Jane.

Sex Madness is all about the scourge that is syphilis. You will be ashamed, you will consult quacks, you will cause the death of your newborn child, and, finally, you will consider murder/suicide. Alas, you will find the will to live, thus proving that marijuana is deadlier than social diseases. I guess.

12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Shaft (2019): Overly chauvinistic and sexist at times, this still managed to entertain me very well. Not as good as the fantastic "Shaft's Big Score" from 1972, but I liked the idea of having all three Shaft actors reunite as grandpa, dad and son. Great for some mindless fun before going to sleep.

13. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Crimson Peak. Not Del Toro's best.

Michael likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Kill Bill: Volume 1

(My 10,000th post!)

Nice Marmot likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

do not reply to my future postings...I will do likewise...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Michael

incredible movie and being based on truth made it even better...

18. Michael

I liked it...I really don't rate movies...If it works that's great if not...no second viewing. : )

19. Michael

The Immortals...

footlooseman likes this.
  20. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

From Criterion's BD set. Love the giant spider and mantises.
    [​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  21. xdawg

xdawg Dys Mymbyr

My wife had recorded it from some movie channel. Cinemax or something like that.

Michael likes this.
  22. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

First time I saw it I thought it was disappointing. On second viewing I felt the same. Great style but so-so storywise. My favorite Del Toro's are the Spanish language movies.

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

I gotcha.

24. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

[1954] on Blu-Ray
    [​IMG]

25. Michael

gotcha. : )