The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of my favorite Stewart movies...classic for me.

Jimmy B., footlooseman and longdist01 like this.
  2. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Avengers - Infinity War

longdist01 likes this.
  3. The Young Philadelphians. From 1959, starring Paul Newman as an ambitious young lawyer (caring about stupid social standings among the rich), who falls in love with Joan, played by Barbara Rush.
    Diane Brewster, 6 years younger than Newman (and 4 years younger than Rush), plays Newman's mother. (The first time he says "Mom" to her, like the first time I saw this,
    I did a semi-double take, then remembered about this strange casting).
    Basically a real soap opera kind of movie, I really liked this the first time I saw it; this time, I lowered my vote of it from an 8 to a 6 out of ten, maybe it's even a five.
    Pretty boring at times. I wish the earlier romance part had been kept instead of the uninteresting courtroom drama it winds up being.
    It also has Robert Vaughn in it.
    It's not a terrible movie by any means, but not a really great one either to me.
    Glad I caught it for free now on TCM On Demand on the last day I could. I doubt I'll watch this again. The early parts of the movie are good, that's about it for me.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

The Fallen Sparrow (1943) 6/10

Noir with Maureen O'Hara as the only real "name actor". Ok, but not great; it took me 3 days to finish it.

Funny story: The other day I walked up to one of my racks of unwatched films, closed my eyes, & randomly picked this one.
    I've been noticing there are a number of interesting looking titles in those racks, many of which I don't have a clue about, so was hoping I'd grab something cool. I think I'm going to continue doing that from time to time. Though I do have 3 piles I pulled of unwatched films that I hope to watch within a month or so also.

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Sheik Madeir

Quite an unpleasant but gripping watch until it descends into silliness. The performances were very good but overall I'd give it 5/10.

GMfan87' and Chrome_Head like this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

That's quite an accomplishment. I think I've been here longer than you and haven't reached that milestone yet.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. You Were Never Really Here (2017). A crime, mystery story with no detective work, only a hired private detective that seems to stumble around with delusions and flashbacks but finds missing girls somehow. Apparently a highly regarded movie, with disturbing imagery and I managed to make it all the way through, although it wasn't worth the effort for me.

8. Borgia

Borgia Forum Resident

Schindler's List was on tv this morning. It still brings tears to my eyes.

longdist01 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  9. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Blind Date ( Stanley Tucci, Patricia Clarkson), interesting concept but thought it wasn't good at all.
    Both actors are terrific though in general.

10. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Johnny Guitar

Thomas Crown affair. Proper version
    This movie is the very personification of style and cool.
    SM is at the top of his game in this gem. FD is always playing catch up but you can't be sure right until the last scene.
    Whh would anyone want to remake this it's beyond me.
    The original is an impossible act to follow so why bother?
    And then there's that song.

longdist01 and GMfan87' like this.
  11. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'The Past' (2013) on Mubi. Came close to melodrama at times but overall a very good drama.

12. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Johnny Guitar

Next up is Shutter Island 4k blu-ray. A really good movie that holds you all the way.
    PQ is superb. As movie the the production values could not be better. Its one of those movies that you never forget the big hit at the end. A bit like seven.
    Think I'll watch seven tomorrow. I'd love to see that one given a 4k bluray release.

Pinknik likes this.
  13. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I’ve loved every Trip film these two have made. This one is another winner. Funny, poignant, gorgeous scenery.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  14. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Parasite (2019): One hell of a movie. My heart is racing right now. Incredibly intense and so many things at the same time.

Dear 23, longdist01 and Tim S like this.
  15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

network.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  16. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

A Bridge Too Far (1977)

Maranatha5585 and Borgia like this.
  17. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

State of Play (2009)

[​IMG]

18. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (Criterion DVD)

[​IMG]

Mylene and brownie61 like this.
  19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

On The Last Drive-In with Joe Bob Briggs on Shudder:

The Exorcist III, written and directed by William Peter Blatty. I liked this one. Blatty wanted to call it Legion, as it’s about a person possessed by multiple powers, but the movie producers insisted on an Exorcist connection, and also insisted on the original Father Karras being in it, and finally insisted on a special effects laden conclusion. Still, despite its muddled story, I enjoyed the dialogue, the weird cameos (Larry King, Fabio, etc.), the performances, especially by George C. Scott and Brad Dourif. I still have yet to see The Exorcist 2: The Heretic, which is famously bad.

Deadbeat at Dawn by Jim Van Bebber. Two rival Dayton, Ohio gangs go at it. Goose, played by Van Bebber, quits his gang to please his girlfriend. She is then murdered by the rival gang. The two gangs have done joined forces since he left, in order to pull off an armored truck heist. Goose gets the money and single handedly picks off the other gang one by one. Very low budget and violent, but fun in its own way, especially the actors doing their own stunts ending. It can be rough making cheap movies.

20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Spontaneous rewatch:

The Big Lebowski (1998): I've seen this countless times when I was 15. Now five years have passed, I've gone through a lot and this time it felt different. Much better. It's a very lyrical, deep, beautiful movie that truly lives from its wonderfully fleshed-out characters. The laughs in this movie come straight from the amazing writing, not some cheap comedic effects. What's more, all the actresses, actors and the soundtrack are amazing. This is now officially my favorite Coen Brothers movie of those I've seen so far.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Avengers - End Game
    Damn, that was a long movie.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

23. Incredible movie.

24. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Ready Or Not (2019)

Nice Marmot likes this.
  25. xdawg

xdawg Dys Mymbyr

"Men In Black International" this afternoon. It was entertaining for sure.

Michael likes this.