The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

"Bundling" Is A terrible rip off. If I say anymore of my feelings, I'll probably be breaking a rule about politics.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It’s okay.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  3. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Crazy Knights (1944) - An odd title since there are no knights in it, but I wil wach anything with Shemp Howard. I hope a better print emerges some day. My favorite Shemp line: "I'm gonna take a cold shower. I hope they have hot water."

4. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

5. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

A movie I always recommend.

davebush and Tim S like this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I liked The Limey a lot - probably time for a rewatch.

Jazzmonkie and davebush like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Hunt

8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Anna Christie must be the first film to break the forth wall. Both Garbo and Marie Dressler talk directly into the camera at some point.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  9. Shoehorn with Teeth

Shoehorn with Teeth Romans 6:23

Stargate (1994)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Inside Daisy Clover (1965) on Blu-ray. Just got it this day.

Mylene likes this.
  11. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Foreman
    Documentary on two time heavyweight champ George Foreman.
    What a really fascinating person. This was a great and introspective look at his life with wonderful interviews from him and people close to him through his career.

12. moomoomoomoo

Shooting Stars (1928) BFI Restoration Kino blu-ray

Film 6.5/10 Restoration 8.5/10 Musical Score (both music bu John Altman and audiophile 24 bit sound quality) 10/10

I don't think I've ever heard SQ this good from a silent (or any for that matter) film. Mostly 20's style jazz, with other stylings as needed. I would be tempted to play this as a cd with the TV turned off; the music is that good!

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Anaconda (1997)

14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Anna Christie (German version) (1930) Basically the same script but with tighter editing (the film starts in the bar rather than in the barge) and a camera that actually moves. It's on the flip side of the English version which makes it easy to make a comparison.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  15. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Harriet Craig/ The Damned Don't Cry (1950, Vincent Sherman)

This Joan Crawford (movie star)/ Vincent Sherman (director) double bill from the same year is admittedly for Crawford fans, primarily. To be blunt, she carries herself as a man with... curves in these flicks (imo). She might have been a transvestite in either, quite frankly; just as capable of going five rounds with the men she loves as seduce them. The Damned is the best of the (three) collaborations the two made; a seedy, glossy, fast-paced, noir-soap opera that works perfectly with the sexual ambiguity of Crawford's allure. She's a manipulating OCD housewife in the first and a gangster moll paid to pose as a widow-heiress in the second. A fun, have-your-fill-of-Crawford time for a while. :cool:

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    moomoomoomoo likes this.
  16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident

Did a David Cronenberg double header the last few nights, first time seeing both films:

The Brood (1979)

A doctor's fringe therapy treatment on a woman patient called "psychoplasmics" results in killer humanoid creatures that resemble children. Several creepy, eerie scenes, and effective for the most part, though Cronenberg presents it with such a detached, clinical style that it's almost absurd to watch in parts.

Scanners (1981)

Cronenberg seems to have had a far higher budget for this film (more than for his earlier films Rabid or The Brood), and there is far more dynamic camera work here as well as a high-concept story. The plot involves a man with special abilities called a "scanner" being tasked to track down others with similar abilities. Remarkably gooey gore at times, and a visceral amount of ultraviolence. I can only imagine how shocking this film was back in 1981.

To bring it back to the music forum, I spotted the cover of Robert Fripp's solo record Exposure when
    the bus crashes into the record store.

Pinknik and ando here like this.
  17. The Pinhead

The Pinhead SUDACA ROÑOSO

Henry Rollins' ¨He Never Died¨. Bizarre.

18. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

Duel At Diablo- Western staring James Garner and Sidney Poitier. Never seen it before and loved it. The movie has multipal story lines, all of which intrested me, some great scenery and good acting. The soundtrack by Neal Hefti (Batman and The Odd Couple) was a little different than most westerns but seemed to enhance some of the tense scenes in the movie. Duel At Diablo also has some very nice battle/fight scenes for an older (1966) western. Highly recomended.

ando here likes this.
  19. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Johnny Guitar

Salem's Lot blu-ray arrived today from amazon. I read the book in my early teens and always liked the film.
    PQ is really good of the bluray.
    It's a pretty accurate adaptation of an excellent, if not too long, novel

Chrome_Head likes this.
  20. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

jojo rabbit. 10/10

Scope J likes this.
  21. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Definitely a real favorite of these guys:

[​IMG]

22. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Some Girls Do" (1969)
    In the sequel to "Deadlier Than The Male," swinging investigator Hugh "Bulldog" Drummond is assigned to track down the sabuoteur of Britain's newest supersonic aircraft. It ends on the bad guy's private island, where the villain is protected by an army of scantily clad female androids. Shag-a-Delic, baby!
    Much more tongue in cheek than the first Drummond adventure, this one plays more like a spoof, but it's still enjoyably silly stuff with lots of outstanding female eye candy.

ando here likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident

My favorite King book probably, and I thought the made-for-TV film by Tobe Hooper has some great atmosphere. I only wish they could have somehow converted the picture to widescreen (opposed to native, box-y 4:3) for the blu-ray release.

24. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Johnny Guitar

I agree about the wide-screen. Although many purists object to the screen size being reformatted. I'd forgotten its a tobe hooper job
    I vividly remember it being savaged by the UK critics when first shown in TV here
    I can't work out the indifference to it.
    I struggle to read books now due to memory and concentration problems but it's a book I could read again.
    I remember the black cover with the red bloody dots.
    I tried reading the stand after this but struggled to finish.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

Are you discovering Garbo for the first time, or re-watching? Either way, great stuff?