The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Greg Gee

Greg Gee Forum Resident

The Dark Knight Rises; I watched TDK last week.

Deuce66 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

Apollo 13 (1995)

First time I rewatched this since it first came out in theaters in 1995. The first hour kind of dragged on and took a while to build up, but the last 90 minutes make up for it. There wasn’t as much character development as I remembered of the astronauts. This film had so much expectation following Tom Hanks’ Oscar run, Ron Howard directing, and the all star supporting cast. I remember the hype surrounding this movie in anticipation of its release during my early high school years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"The Tin Star"

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The Blue Express (1929): Sowjet film about a train that uses the different class wagons as a metaphor for society in general. The 3rd class, after learning that a year's harvest of rice is lost and realizing their hopeless situation, starts a revolution against 1st and 2nd class.

The metaphor is a bit clumsy, but the cinematography is stunning - filmed like a spaghetti western, only almost 40 years prior. Not essential, but good enough for silent film buffs.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

His birthday was on May 31st. :)

Karnak likes this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Back to the Future Part 2. I'd never seen this, though I'd seen the first film maybe 10 times since it's release. The future looks pretty bleak even without Biff getting the almanac.

Studio 17. The Lost Reggae Tapes. This Chinese guy started a record shop in Kingston Jamaica (Randy's Records) and did so well he bought the whole building a built a recording studio on the 1st floor. He took Peter Tosh to the USA and Tosh smoked reefer all the way on the plane got arrested and told the judge President Carter had appointed him Special Minister for Marijuana but the judge couldn't understand his patios so decided he was a lunatic and threw the case out of court. After The Harder They Come the Chinese dude was convinced the Communists were going to take over the country so shifted the entire operation to NYC. When the BBC decided to film a documentary everyone in the family lawyered up. Just when it couldn't get any weirder the guy from the Eurythmics turns up with his teenage protégée.

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Terminator 2 (Directors cut): 5/5

[​IMG]

The Dark Knight Rises: 4.5/5 - a solid wrap up to the trilogy

[​IMG]

8. MikaelaArsenault

9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Support Your Local Sheriff! - Not my choice, but James Garner carries an extremely silly exercise in Western drollery.

Grand_Ennui, Jimmy B., Mylene and 2 others like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Bad Boys For Life (2020). Surprisingly solid.
    3.75/5

11. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

The Stalking Moon on TCMHD (1968)

12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

Tokyo Drifter (1966): Does such a thing as the existentialist gangster film exist? If so, this must be one of its pioneering works. This movie switches between surreal comedy and moments of larger-than-life beauty by the minute and develops a weirdly immersive charm while doing so. A Yakuza boss decides it's time to become a serious businessman without the violent business of the underworld while his foster son drifts through Tokyo and beyond without realizing what his father (and some of the other mobsters) have planned for him.

Amazing film. Totally sucks you in. 60s beat culture meets the traditional values of the Yakuza - honor and loyalty.

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

14. MikaelaArsenault

At Close Range (1986)

Mylene likes this.
  15. keef00

keef00 Forum Resident

Last 2 weekends...

Oldboy (original)
    Da 5 Bloods
    BlacKkKlansman
    The Dead Don't Die

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. xdawg

xdawg Dis Member

"The Last Lovecraft: Relic Of Cthulhu"
    [​IMG]

18. MikaelaArsenault

19. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Treated myself for my birthday with a movie I had wanted to see a long time now:

[​IMG]

The Crowd (1928): A.K.A. the gritty brother of Murnau's "Sunrise". Here, the danger lies not with a strange, seductive woman, but within the protagonists instead. John means well and is ambitious, but not exactly disciplined. Mary tries to keep everything together at home, but can't cope with John being rude and even mean to her. We don't know for sure what happens after the ending, but finally it really looks promising for the two and their son.

Okay, I loved the atmosphere here. The scenes portraying the big, unprecedictable, never-sleeping city reminded me of John Dos Passos and James Joyce. It's of course quite melodramatic, but for a change it's a very relatable, fleshed-out kind of drama. I greatly enjoyed this masterpiece and I think it's a real shame you have to record it off TV because there is no physical release of this (except an old VHS tape and a Laserdisc, both not exactly easy to find).

20. MikaelaArsenault

Happy Birthday!

LeBon Bush likes this.
  21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Thanks! :wave:

22. MikaelaArsenault

You're welcome! :wave:

LeBon Bush likes this.
  23. xdawg

xdawg Dis Member

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler (using a telescope)

Planet of the Apes (original)

Watched it with my 23 yr old son, his first viewing of it. He liked it and will eventually watch the sequels, but he has so many other good movies to watch for the first time.

Doug

jhm and MikaelaArsenault like this.