The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over, My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

The Greatest Showman
    :):):):D:D:D:love::love::love:
    [​IMG]
    "The Greatest Showman is a 2017 American musical biographical drama film directed by Michael Gracey in his directorial debut, written by Jenny Bicks and Bill Condon and starring Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Michelle Williams, Rebecca Ferguson, and Zendaya. Featuring nine original songs from Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, the film is inspired by the story of P. T. Barnum's creation of Barnum's American Museum and the lives of its star attractions."

Spectacular!!! Oddly, just this last w/e after getting a pop-up ad w/Zendaya about a mascara, I was somewhat aware of her & googled, finding this flick - watched the trailer & thought it looked VG, so hmmm...let me look "On Demand" - which wasn't working. So, I thought, maybe I'll pick it up on DVD. Last night, I searched On Demand (it was working) & it was 10 minutes before it was starting on FXM!!! Liked it so much I may still purchase the DVD, for myself & 1 as gift. I enjoyed it that much! I do vaguely recall seeing Hugh Jackman promoting this @ the time on talk shows, but I don't really remember it having a great deal of media push - it should have. All the performances are top-notch. :righton:

Staxus and HorseyAnn like this.
  2. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving rhyme-artist

My Sister went to the cinema with friends to see this & loved it so much she bought it on D.V.D. When I used to sleep over at her house we used to watch this a few times. It really made us feel better. It's a good film based on a true story. My favourite song on it is "This is me".

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    LilacTeardrop likes this.
  3. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

The Old Guard with Charlize Theron

I don't watch this type of film much but I enjoyed it. It's a great combination of character and blow em'up violence. It reminded me a bit of the character exposition in Terminator 2. It's clear the movie is formulaic in structure but it just touches these formulas and uses character to bring depth.

Michael likes this.
  4. razerx

razerx Who me?

Scream and Scream Again.

Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price are top billed but they are barely in it.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

6. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Enter Laughing, the first movie directed by Carl Reiner. That was really enjoyable with some hilarious situational comedy and subtle humor that reminds of Seinfeld.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I went to the drive-in for the first time in about 50 years the other night to see "Smokey and the Bandit".

RogerB, Grand_Ennui and carrick doone like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we enjoyed this very much!

carrick doone likes this.
  9. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE TOWN (2010) -- Ben Affleck starring and directing, unusually successful merging of robbery and love plots. A career criminal falls for a woman he briefly took hostage during a robbery, and decides to get out of the neighborhood trades. Strong sense of place, the Boston neighborhood of Charleston, winning performances by Jeremy Renner as a friend and partner in crime and Rebecca Hall as the love interest.

10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind (2019)

I’ve always loved his music and this is a great documentary with lots of old performance clips.

[​IMG]

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Godfather Part II

Jimmy B., moomoomoomoo and jhm like this.
  12. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last Night....
    [​IMG]

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Braveheart

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  14. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident

The Birdman of Alcatraz .... on TCM (now)

[​IMG]

Jimmy B. and Grand_Ennui like this.
  15. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Chase (1946) - Nice twisted noir starring Robert Cummings and Peter Lorre. The blu-ray from Kino is a nice restoration by UCLA of a previously dark and muddy looking movie.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Absolute Beginners (1986) on blu-ray

A musical set in London in the late 1950s, when the dreary post war days are giving way to the youth culture. Julien Temple directs this colorful, good looking movie. I actually enjoyed it reasonably well, though it gets pretty heavy toward the end. Colin is an aspiring photographer in love with Suzette (Patsy Kensit, adorable) an aspiring fashion designer. They both succumb to "selling out" to achieve fame and or fortune, only to see it all crumble. The youth culture is open to new experiences and new people, but there is a fascist movement in town looking to drive out the undesirables and Keep Britain White (see, I told you it gets heavy). Musical numbers are done by David Bowie, Sade and Ray Davies, among others. It's all quite something and it was a big flop at the time, though it has apparently been gaining a cult following. The first half is pretty upbeat and funny.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I was very surprised how the movie takes such a sharp turn, but still went with it and enjoyed the film. Bowie was having the time of his life, and so was Ray. Any film that uses teh Style Council so well gets at least some points with me.

Pinknik likes this.
  18. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Harriet Craig (1950) 6/10

Joan Crawford played a number of total beaches in her middle age, but this one takes the cake. Her character was so evil, I almost couldn't make it through the film. I guess the ONLY good thing about the Breen code is evil always loses. I wish it were that way in the real world............

19. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

Alita Battle Angel

Morpheus likes this.
  20. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway (2008)

[​IMG]

(also watched both of the Kissing Booth movies on netflix for a good dose of cringe)

Steve Minkin likes this.
  21. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last Night....
    [​IMG]

22. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Charlie on the trail of a serial killer. 7/10

That's Mr. Foghat likes this.
  23. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I have decided to watch all the movies that I own but haven't watched yet, before I buy anymore. Thankfully there aren't really that many, but I've already waffled a bit, as there are two pre-orders in my future. Still, I proceed in roughly alphabetical order. Today:

The Battle of Britain (1969)

I didn't think it was bad, per se, but it is a bit stodgy and seemed to leave a lot of drama out. Characters are only roughly drawn and so when the big dramatic things happen, there isn't much pull. The effects are dated, but that's to be expected and not necessarily a deal breaker. The music doesn't seem to support the action on screen at times. I was a bit surprised to see that Roger Ebert gave it 1 star, yet his criticisms aren't far off. The IMDB rating is 7/10. So, I guess that means I give a 4.

Next up is Beat the Devil.

24. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

That's a very good idea. Problem is, if I tried that I would never buy another film in this lifetime.

That's Mr. Foghat and Pinknik like this.
  25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I kinda feel that way, even though I'll probably make it. Perhaps I just intervened on myself in time. :D