The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Wicked Woman

2. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

full metal jacket

3. Plinko

Plinko Forum Resident

You should definitely read the book. The book is a more disturbing experience.

This film, however, seems to have been completely underrated. Loved it.

I am not sure how Trump could not be mentioned when the topic of this book is raised.

MikaelaArsenault and AlphabetMan like this.
  4. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Kubrick had a difficult enough time meeting production code standards with Sue Lyon, who was 16 when the film was released. Of course it would have been much easier to cast an actual, er, nubile, today.

5. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Source Code (2011): First of all, a big shoutout to @Tree of Life who, in response to @LilacTeardrop, argued that this movie topped "Inception" in their opinion.

Okay, it starts with Jake Gyllenhaal's character Colter Stevens who is a helicopter pilot for the US Air Force. He finds himself in a simulation called "Source Code" with the mission to track down a terrorist who is about to destroy Chicago with a nuclear bomb. The first warning sign was the explosion of a morning train - the very train Stevens finds himself on in the simulation. He has eight minutes to find out who plants bombs all over Chicago.

So, at first it seems like a rather typical SciFi thriller (giving nods to Edward Dmytryk's 1965 movie "Mirage") but eventually it develops into a work that reflects upon human reality and asks us what "real life" even means. I can't quite go into detail for the sake of not spoiling it, but those who have seen the film will (hopefully) understand when I say that it reminded me more and more of Tarkovsky's "Solaris" as the plot progressed.

And those who have not seen it: please do yourself a favor and look this up at your local library or streaming service of choice. It's a great film that stays with you after the credits roll and gets you thinking. Plus, it's quite suspenseful - so it offers something for everyone! :)

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Good or bad absolute nonsense?:D

MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (1971) Blu-Ray​

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  8. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

::: Just finished 'Saving Private Ryan' again... considering to put 'Platoon' #2 on my top 5 war films

9. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

10. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

American Werewolf In London - Arrow version .. played it in mono 1.0

11. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

About Time (2013)
    "Big lesson number one... All the time travel in the world can't make someone love you."
    [​IMG]

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

started Doctor Murder...was delayed.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's on mine! excellent movie.

MikaelaArsenault and aravel like this.
  14. _David_

_David_ Forum Resident

The Mourning Forest (2007)

One of the most beautiful films I've seen in a long while; very slow, with the occasional emotional punch. Now streaming on Mubi.

[​IMG]

15. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Drums along the Mohawk"

17. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

18. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

19. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I Am Not a Serial Killer

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Sudden Fear by David Miller

Joan Crawford, Gloria Graham and Jack Palance at full tilt. What's not to like?
    Great thriller.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

I need to find this!

Purple Jim likes this.
  22. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

Last night: Pickup On South Street (1953, DVD, starring Richard Widmark, with Jean Peters and Thelma Ritter).
    Since my previous computer broke down last Weds. morning and I lost internet access til now, I watched the following (besides that):
    Weds: A Place In The Sun (new Australian Blu-ray, limited to 1,000 copies);
    [​IMG]
    Psycho ("uncut" version; a ripoff) (worse quality though! Grainier.)

Thurs: It's A Wonderful Life (2019 Blu-ray; didn't make me depressed like it usually does esp. at the end there); The Magnificent Seven
    Friday: Roman Holiday (new Blu-Ray, a definite improvement, poor packaging but who cares)
    Saturday: Birdman Of Alcatraz
    Sunday: Touch Of Evil (first time seeing this, not an easy watch); Young At Heart

By far the movie I enjoyed the most/found the best was Birdman Of Alcatraz, T.Time BR, forgot how incredible this movie is. Captures isolation like nothing else I can recall. Also touches on being a victim of emotional incest. Just an incredible, amazing movie (I don't give a damn about it re: to the guy's real story, and don't want to know; I know what I got out of it).
    [​IMG]

moomoomoomoo likes this.