The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I rather enjoyed this. Solid performances from Pacino and Depp.

longdist01, Jimmy B. and moomoomoomoo like this.
  2. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Cure (directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 1997). A psychological crime mystery in a series of unsettling, disturbing scenes. It's hard not to think of Tarkovsky, with all the images of water, and the way a sense of time becomes part of the narrative. The visuals, the sounds, and the editing are all just amazing.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  3. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Bullets Don't Argue"

5. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Fargo S04 E01 (& part of E02)

While I really liked it, this had NOTHING to do with the other seasons. Like they created a new show & put an old show's name on it........

6. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Detour. I had never seen it before and I'll never forget it. A "B" movie for sure, but it will stay with me.

7. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

a 2008 Short from Wallace & Gromit

"A Matter of Loaf and Death"

8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Terminator

longdist01, Grand_Ennui, jhm and 2 others like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Richard Jewel.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019)
    [​IMG]

Scope J, Mylene and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. I saw " NEW MUTANTS " in a, as it turned out, temporarily open Regal theater a few weeks back.

13. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last Night........
    [​IMG]

14. David Fischer

Splash (1984)
    [​IMG]

longdist01 and Karnak like this.
  15. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Near Dark

Tim S and Karnak like this.
  16. Kaskade10729

17. Kaskade10729

18. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Beetlejuice (1988)

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Against a Crooked Sky"

jhm likes this.
  20. David Fischer

Everyone Says I Love You (1996)

I really enjoyed this film a lot, and have seen a few times now. I get it won't be for everybody, since it was a bit different for Allen, not your typical Woody film. I was entertained by the different vignettes and for me, one of the more humorous Woody films. especially the scenes with Woody Allen and Julia Roberts (the blowing behind the shoulder blades was hilarious). Alan Alda is great as always. Letting the actors sing for themselves adds to the enjoyment for me. I thought most of his 90s films were strong - Manhattan Murder Mystery, Bullets Over Broadway, Everyone Says I Love You, Mighty Aphrodite. Don't hear much about this film anymore or a lot of those 90s Woody films.

Interesting to read Elbert's glowing review of this film and feel is deserves a rewatch for me again, which I'm glad I did. It's been a few years since I last saw it.

"Sometimes, when I am very happy, I sing to myself. Sometimes, when they are very happy, so do the characters in ''Everyone Says I Love You,'' Woody Allen's magical new musical comedy. I can't sing. Neither can some of Allen's characters. Why should that stop them? Who wants to go through life not ever singing? Here is a movie that had me with a goofy grin plastered on my face for most of its length. A movie that remembers the innocence of the old Hollywood musicals and combines it with one of Allen's funniest and most labyrinthine plots, in which complicated New Yorkers try to recapture the simplicity of first love. It would take a heart of stone to resist this movie.

...Not many musicals are made these days. They're hard to do, and the fashion for them has passed. This one remembers the musicals of the 1930s, the innocent ones starring Astaire and Rogers, or Powell and Keeler, and to that freshness it adds a sharper, contemporary wit. Allen knows that what modern musicals are missing is not the overkill of multimillion-dollar production numbers, or the weight of hit songs from the charts, but the feeling that some things simply cannot be said in words, and require songs to say them. He is right. Attempt this experiment. Try to say ''Cuddle up a little closer, baby mine'' without singing. Can't be done. Should rarely be attempted."

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    moomoomoomoo likes this.
  21. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of KK. A couple of my favorites (other than Cure) are Before We Vanish and Penance.

Saintbert likes this.
  22. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Laura (1944) - I've been watching a lot of Vincent Price lately and I was overdue for a revisit of Laura.

23. David Fischer

Forgot to add the beautiful cities and architecture, as well as the scenic 4 seasons throughout the film are also part of its charm - NY, Paris, and Venice. The struggles of love, regardless of age (teenager, young adult, older adult) are comedically handled throughout the movie with the typical Woody style.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Superfly (2018).

Scope J likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Super

That's Mr. Foghat likes this.