The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Platterpus

Platterpus Forum Resident

The 4th Floor

2. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The TV show was "My Three Sons." It was Fred's retirement money. He only worked a few days per season, filming the majority of his scenes solo so they could be edited into shows.

That's Mr. Foghat likes this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

As a child - my mid 50's that show was all I knew of FM. Than I saw Double Indemnity & a few more of the Noirs & was shocked.. Even as a little kid, I despised that show; but in those days there wasn't much to watch. The script writers really screwed FM with that show.

And sorry, I can never remember which was MTS & which was FKB. They were both God Awful.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  4. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

5. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2020
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Day After Tomorrow...

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Michael

a perfect Holiday movie!

8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The Last Man On Earth (1964)

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

10. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

Carnival Of Souls (1962), first time in ages, first time in HD (wish I could afford the Blu-ray now)
    [​IMG]

11. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The Mortuary Collection

12. Watched Road House in full for the first time last night. Entertaining crap. :)

jhm and harmonica98 like this.
  13. Love and Monsters. Wow, this was a very enjoyable film! It really surprised me. I don’t want to say too much regarding the plot but if you enjoyed the scenes with the giant bugs in the Peter Jackson version of King Kong, along with action and a well-written and heartfelt story it’s definitely worth checking out. It’s on some of the streaming services.

14. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Rooster Cogburn' (1975) on TV - pretty thin stuff but just about worth watching for the interplay between the leads.

15. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving rhyme-artist

Brassed off

Kundera the joke. likes this.
  16. moomoomoomoo

Fargo S04 E02-04

17. SirCandy

SirCandy Well-Known Member

I've watched this one quite a bit- great for this time of year.

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Music Man

Jimmy B., longdist01 and brownie61 like this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Coco (2017)

Jazzmonkie and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Martha" (1974, Fassbinder) (Netflix Streaming):

For anyone who thinks Fassbinder's films were only dry, artsy explorations, "Martha" will set you straight.
    The closest to pure horror RWF ever did, the film plays like "Gaslight" if it had been written by Stephen King ('Martha' was based on a short story by Cornell Woolrich.)

31-year-old virgin librarian (Margit Carstensen) winds up being "courted" by Helmut (Carlheinz Bohm, our old camera-toting friend from 'Peeping Tom') and that neither begins nor ends well.
    Martha is very much a ready target, emotionally crushed, with the implication that for her, any attention is better than none at all, even if it is nasty. Because that's what 'she deserves'...

Fassbinder brings the full force of interpersonal horror to bear on the characters, and it makes for a film that is, a lot of times, very painful to watch.
    Much has been made of this being 'black comedy" to a point, but even with that observation, and the theatricality of some elements, the core of the film is one ugly ride, superbly done.

C.

22. Michael

The Santa Claus

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

A great slice of 80s cheese. I own the Blu Ray (that comes in a red case for some reason). Brad Wesley has to be the worst name for a bad guy in history. Brad Wesley? Doesn't exactly leave you quaking in your boots. Sounds more like an 80s James Spader character. Also, the guy was tiny, older and not physically imposing. Why was everyone so afraid of him? Still, the actor did a great job as the character was loathsome.

24. moomoomoomoo

The Last Warning (1929 silent version) Flicker Alley blu-ray 5.5 /10

I've seen a collector's print of this once before, but didn't really remember it. It's a follow up to The Cat & The Canary with the same director & lead actress. The whopping 10 minutes of extras said there was both a silent only version & a partially talky version. This one is the silent.

Disappointing, especially for the price ($40 list, I paid $30). At the end they say it is a restoration from one 35 mm print & 1 16. I don't see any restoration on the 16mm parts; for this price, they could have at least done some digital scratch removal. Another irritating thing is that the 10 minute extra said it was similar to Cat, but Cat had comedy & this didn't. Well someone should have told the music soundtrack composer. The music is so inappropriate that in places it feels like a farce. If I'd paid $8 for this (what it's worth, I wouldn't be so upset; ut the list price is the same as a Criterion. Meh.

I sure hope they do a better job with the upcoming Waxworks restoration. That is an important film, imo. With this order, I also bought The Man Who Laughs. Fine film, I hope the restoration is better than this one.

MikaelaArsenault and Claus LH like this.
  25. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident