The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I like the sequels as well. A young Clint Eastwood can be spotted briefly in Revenge of the Creature.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  2. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

I haven't had any direct complaints about these images of horror films -- for this time of year -- specifically bothering anyone until now; they are, after all, just special effects and not real images.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  3. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

The Matrix (1999)

[​IMG]

Staxus likes this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Searching (2018).

5. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

Russian Sci-fi flicks Moscow-Cassiopeia and its other half Teens In the Universe (1974 and 5, respectively)

[​IMG]

6. ziggytvs

ziggytvs What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?

Followed by Basic Instinct (1992) this morning

[​IMG]

7. "I think it’s tragic that this is the kind of junk that is passing for art these days..." The Eyes Of Laura Mars (1978). Did not know that John Carpenter was involved in this. :righton:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A bird that can't fly.

[​IMG]
    A Patch Of Blue (1965). Starring Elizabeth Hartman, who should be top billed, and it's a crime that she's not.
    [​IMG]

I've always loved this movie.

j_rocker and Crimson Witch like this.
  10. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

My Science Project (directed by Jonathan R. Betuel, 1985). I've been watching not-quite-A-grade 80's science fiction, such as Night of the Comet and Chopping Mall, trying to find a film I remember watching on VHS in my childhood. I am now certain that that film is 80 per cent My Science Project. Since my recollection is not perfect, elements of other films may have seeped in, and some shots may have expanded in my mind to scenes and storylines not found in the actual films. As for the real My Science Project, it is a well produced piece of entertainment, nothing like the kind of schlock I might have expected. Of course it's the first time I see it in widescreen too and in colours not washed out by several runs through the video recorder. I just feel like every fifth or so page of the script was thrown out while filming this thing because the narrative still feels as inconsistent as some childhood memory.

11. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last night on Sci-Fi Sunday......
    [​IMG]

12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A bird that can't fly.

Great movie!

13. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Kill List-- was a British film sort of mixture of hitman and horror. It was okay, sort of suited for the season, and the less said about it probably the better. I went into it blind and for what it was, it was an okay watch.

Wee Geordie--a film unknown to me takes place in Scotland, and as a young lad, Geordie is small in stature, and ridiculed for it, hence the title. He sees one of those Charles Atlas type ads in the newspaper and starts working out. He grows up to be strong enough and encouraged to be in the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne, Australia. There's romance, and a look at his family home, which is rather warm in its depiction. Some might say this is an old fashion family film, if so I'd like to see more like it.

The Finest Hours--is taken from a true story of a ship that needs rescuing during a bad storm off the coast of Cape Cod. It stars Chris Pine as a green recruit to the Coast Guard. I enjoyed the era of the early 50s in which it was shot, but it was a bit too paint-by-the-numbers for me. Many have enjoyed it, but I got rather bored with it.

Swallow--is about a newly married housewife with a compulsion to swallow things once she gets pregnant. I went into the movie blind thinking maybe it was a body horror, and couldn't help but think this is a dumb premise for a film, and why is this woman doing this when her life is so affluent.? Although slow I kept watching and it starts to reveal all of the answers towards the third act, but it was a bit of a slog. It was okay. Not a high recommendation but more something like three stars.

Blurred Lines: Inside the Art World on Tubi last night, which gave an inside look at the current world of art. It was interesting, answered some questions, but also a bit nauseating as it seems to be some insular industry that sells to the super rich (top 1,2,3%), and also a house of cards and a pyramid scheme somewhat. To me it seemed like there's an overabundance of art, who is buying it, and who can afford a 60 million dollar painting? That said, it was somewhat interesting and an eye-opener.

Her--didn't rent this one for a long time, but I knew about two minutes into it I'd probably like it. Pretty arty all the way thru, most of it involves relationships. It's a SF film taking place in the not too far in the future.

Under the Skin--I re-watched this one and enjoyed it better the second time around. Pretty atmospheric in places.
    But still not something I'd re-watch much. Good atmosphere, but slight story.

Welcome to the Dollhouse--bittersweet drama, comedy, or dramedey about a young girl in the 7th grade, growing up in suburban New Jersey. Pretty well done although I may have missed the point of the film, if there was one. Worth a watch however.

Immortal Beloved--biopic about the mighty Beethoven. He was a bit of a bastard at least shown in this movie. The movie is acted, shot, and done well however.

14. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Eternal Shine of the Spotless Mind
    2004 Movie- about a couple that has an experimental medical procedure to purge all memories
    of each other... Netflix day

vapor minor, Gollum, ziggytvs and 5 others like this.
  15. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

Excellent review- Martha is one of my Fassbinder favorites. After watching this film several times, I have to admit I find it much funnier than when I first saw it. A " black comedy ", indeed.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  16. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Titfield Thunderbolt (1952) on BD - The first Ealing comedy in Technicolor and it was directed by Charles Crichton (The Lavender Hill Mob, A Fish Called Wanda). I love the Ealing's frequent theme of the little man battling the money men, plus this had some awesome trains. Starring Stanley Holloway, Naunton Wayne and Hugh Griffiths.

17. Michael

18. Michael

at the time I enjoyed this movie...now carey sickens me with his total mental dysfunction...looooser.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  19. Michael

great movie...I have a "Robby" toy in my collection...great movie...great Robot...

Jimmy B., Staxus and moomoomoomoo like this.
  20. MAYBEIMAMAZED

So funny you should say that I am not a Jim Carey fan never have been I didn't even realize it was him until I started the movie, I never even heard of the movie lol he was ok nothing deep a novel thought scattered story with a message several other stars, kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Elija Wood, Mark Ruffalo
    who went on to star in many hits. I just had this conversation the other day about Carey never thought he was funny, never liked his humor...

Michael likes this.
  21. MAYBEIMAMAZED

Horror of Dracula- Hammer Films! one of my favorite movies, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee I have been waiting for this movie TCM I love these Hammer films so totally Cool! Excited to watch it's started have to go!!:-popcorn:

Jazzmonkie and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

I lost any movie love for that nutbar...

23. Michael

funny story; My Mother loved Hammer Films especially The Dracula movies...she'd call me up to tell me there was a scary movie on TV...bless her...It was always a Hammer Film...miss you Mom. : (

24. MAYBEIMAMAZED

:love:

MikaelaArsenault and Michael like this.
  25. Michael

Indeed. : )