Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark But I'm innocent! Swan stole my music & framed me!

My favorite George A. Romero movie:

[​IMG]

2. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

3. Kaskade10729

4. Kaskade10729

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Karnak likes this.
  5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

6. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

7. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

I'll be Back
    [​IMG]

8. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Dune" (2000) (Harrison, Director's Cut)

Right at the half-way point now, which is plenty to get a sense of it.

I am not a hard-core Dune-head, but I have enjoyed the novels, liked some things about Lynch's film and I am looking forward to the 'new one.'

Director/writer John Harrison tries. He really wants to do justice to the book, so hats off to that, but the end result is...lacking, badly.
    The writing goes between good and interesting in patches to hammy and Star Wars-like in others. So does the acting. So does the directing.
    Young Paul Atreides feels like another Mark Hamill/Skywalker plunked down to get his "education", and he's acted with a minimum of skill and a maximum of attitude.
    William Hurt, as the father, is good, and Ian McNeice, as Baron Harkonnen, brings the movie to life with his flaming, gloating ways.

It's a TV mega-film from 2000, and it shows.
    The physical production is a strange mix of would-be great and awful.
    Vittorio Storaro as the DP...can't complain there.
    This helps the interior scenes. Rich production design, admittedly rather "Flash Gordon", but fun to look at, plus VS's lighting, show where the money went.

The real problem is as soon as anyone has to go outside..."Dune" is about massive deserts, worms and worlds and at least up to the halfway point where I am, everything is shot inside. INSIDE.
    You are treated to cycloramas with wrinkles, cartoonish backdrops and matte paintings, and horrid early-CGI work.
    The digital effects combine the worst of everything: lack of textures and resolution on objects, awful color matching between elements, and bleeding matte lines. Given what these scenes must have cost then, a desert area and some forced perspective physical model work would have felt more real and would have looked a lot more timeless. Plus, the characters would actually have been seen outside.

I'll finish this just for the hell of it, but I don't have much in the way of expectations for improvement...

And I still wonder how they got Storaro for this...

C.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

[​IMG]Texas Chainsaw III

10. Michael

love this!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Me too. John Astin is hilarious.

The entire movie is on YouTube.

I watched it there on my laptop a couple of days ago . I hadn’t seen it in years . A couple of things still made me laugh out loud.:D

Michael likes this.
  12. Michael

I have the DVD...going to watch it tomorrow!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

14. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Victoria In Dover (1954) 7/10

Very well done German "Chick Flick" from 1954. From the Sissi Collection Box I mentioned a couple pages back. Stars Romy Schneider in her 3rd film.

[​IMG]

15. Dear 23

Dear 23 Senior Member

The Painted Bird (2019) :thumbsup:

16. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

17. Borgia

Borgia Forum Resident

What the hell was I thinking?

[​IMG]

18. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

Best evil kid movie ever made.

19. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

20. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

Good question.

Staxus likes this.
  21. Borgia

Borgia Forum Resident

I knew it was a stinker, I just wanted to watch it all the way through for some inexplicable reason.

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  22. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

I understand what you mean. Sometimes you just got tah to slow down when you pass a traffic accident.

Borgia likes this.
  23. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

What did you think? I have this one in my to watch pile.

24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

On Joe Bob Briggs’ The Last Drive-In Halloween Hideaway I’m Shudder:

Haunt (2019) From the two guys who wrote A QUIET PLACE, I thought this one was pretty solid entertainment. Not much to it: A woman in an abusive relationship reluctantly goes with her friends to a Halloween party and later they all get the bright idea to go to an “extreme” haunted house attraction. They have to sign wavers and hand over their cell phones. Things start out creepy and gradually get worse. Are they seeing tricks or murders? Will they escape? Will they survive? Good atmosphere, pace and performances.

Hack-o-lantern (1988)

That title. That era. What could go wrong? Plenty. I sometimes like when a foreign director (Indian in this case) takes on an outsider’s interpretation of American culture and gets things entertainingly wrong. Well in this case, things are just a little too silly and slow, though it does have entertainment sprinkled here and there. Bad music video? Yes. Jeanna Fine naked? Yes! 40 year old teenagers? Yes. The guy that played Taffey Lewis in Blade Runner as a Satanic cult leader with a salacious eye towards his own daughter and granddaughter? Yes. But it doesn’t add up to much. Or at least it didn’t to me as sleep approached.

25. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving rhyme-artist

Because of Winn-Dixie