Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Staxus likes this.
  2. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

Casper (1995)

[​IMG]

ziggytvs and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

4. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark But I'm innocent! Swan stole my music & framed me!

5. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark But I'm innocent! Swan stole my music & framed me!

A second night, a second werewolf flick, maybe, just maybe, the best werewolf movie ever...

[​IMG]

Vaughan and C4rl like this.
  6. Borgia

Borgia Forum Resident

Jack Nicholson in Wolf. I saw this one many years ago, so I'd forgotten lots of it. It was a good movie, and well played by Jack, but it was an odd roll for him I think. Still glad he did it.

Max_Renn83 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  7. Kaskade10729

8. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

last two both in theaters-
    The Personal History of David Copperfield-Dev Patel was good but the films structure is a little off-putting.

Yellow Rose-quiet little film that's got a compelling performance in the lead by Eva Noblezada, a two time Tony nominee. better than I expected.

9. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The first Clint Eastwood western I ever saw on the big screen, Two Mules for Sister Sarah (1969), New BD looks great.
    [​IMG]

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Ipcress File. Pretty dated, but still suspenseful

longdist01 likes this.
  12. Platterpus

Platterpus Forum Resident

Alien Code (2018)
    John Wick (2014)

13. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Poltergeist [2015]. Pointless and forgettable, despite Sam Raimi and Sam Rockwell. If the original films hadn't existed, and this had come out as a standard kids' horror, I wonder if they'd have put more effort in? It's not awful - it's just not a good film! Difficult to understand how it's so bland when they had all the tension and brilliance of the original to draw from?

14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Last night we watched Radioactive on Prime- the biography of Marie Curie. Very nicely photographed, but I think they took a lot of artistic liberties with the facts.

15. TheSixthBeatle

TheSixthBeatle Dragged through the garden

Someone should make a movie about the "radium girls". Painting their teeth with radium, to impress their friends ?!

16. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship, and Video Tape" (2010)
    Documentary about Britain's hysteria over "Video Nasties" during the early '80s home-video boom, when various politicians and moral guardians were convinced that access to gory low budget horror films like "I Spit on Your Grave" and "Evil Dead" was going to turn their children into murdering delinquents. The battle is illustrated via interviews with prominent figures on both sides of the argument, some unintentionally hilarious vintage news footage, and lots of gory clips from so-called "Nasty" films.
    I'm not British so I didn't witness this fight first hand, though I guess it was sort of their equivalent of the PMRC controversy in the U.S. around the same time, when Tipper Gore was trying to get Motley Crue records out of K-Marts...

Vaughan and Max_Renn83 like this.
  17. David Fischer

Waiting To Exhale (1995)

"This is a Fox selection, doubtless for its female, African-American cast (you can tick two PC boxes with this one). But it was also a pretty eagerly awaited Christmas release in ’95, and it made money, not to mention giving us the smash Whitney Houston single Shoop, Shoop.... The film Waiting To Exhale was based on the bestselling book by Terry McMillian, and it was one of those books that so connected with a demographic – African-America females – that it pretty much became their bible for a good ten-year stretch. It was so thunderingly resonative because it depicted, in great, emotional detail, the conundrum of the modern black relationship: how can you find a good man when they’re either deadbeats or married? And why do affairs with the married ones always lead to heartbreak in the end? Ultimately, you turn to each other, and it’s this sisterhood, this unique social bond that you’re apt to find in beauty salons or sleepover parties, that dulls the pain, ant least for awhile. Exhale gave the rest of America a taste of this culture – in essence affirming, “We are here, and we got man problems like the rest of you!”

Several of the performances are noteworthy... Bassett has the showiest part – her Bernadette gets to storm and sneer and sniffle, often within the same scene. But she also excels at the quiet stuff too – notably during her scenes with Snipes where she often just stares at him, letting her reacting do the acting. And newcomer Rochon isn’t bad as a sexy single who starts out blithely content wiih her lifestyle, before it dawns on her that all those beddings fail to provide the peace in her life that she so desperately requires. Her funniest scene – a not-so-erotic tryst with a Ton-Loc wannabe, which starts out comic and then turns to a quiet, revealing moment. She becomes instantly likeable after this.

But despite its general success as entertainment there seems to be something missing from this work, particularly when you consider it as feminist tract. We’re just not getting the significance here, or, for that matter, a purpose. Individually, these women have stories to tell, and they each offer a tale about their woes in dealing with the opposite sex, but together they drift off into the ether, and it doesn’t help that none really has any sort of conclusion. (The last scene is a shot of all four gazing at New Years fireworks, just after commenting about a Roberta Flack song in the car.) Two of the stories are nearly identical in plot – Savannah and Robin’s respective not-leaving-my-wife love interests – and so neither comes off as strikingly important. Only the Bassett/Snipes story seems like it has something to say, but it lacks a third act – we don’t really know where they’re going, nor do they tell us.

This most likely wasn’t the case with the book, as literature is a medium in which the author, as a direct storyteller, is better able to impart a message. But with movies it’s the characters, and their speech and actions, which must do that. And despite a lot of soul-searching talks between the women and some fiery arguments between the men and women, the film version just simply fails to rise much above an ensemble chick-flick. Oh, it’s a well-done chick-flick, but a chick flick nonetheless. And I’m sure that was not their intention. But if you go in with moderate expectations you’re likely not to be disappointed. And you’ll get to see at least a couple of fine performances. Oh, and don’t forget that soundtrack." The Retro Rocket: Waiting To Exhale (1995)

[​IMG]

18. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

4K restoration of 'The Killers' (1946) on the big screen. What a great picture.

"If there's one thing I hate in the world, it's a double-crossing dame."

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  19. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

The documentary Class Action Park on HBO+. I'd give it a 6/10. They play fast and loose with facts to amp up a story that doesn't need amping up. It relies heavily on the recollections of staff and guests, while superimposing archival video that doesn't back up what they are saying. For instance, when a lifeguard is talking about how dangerous a tube ride was as he was worried people would drown, they showed video of a tube ride (unclear if it was the same one) where the chutes were only a foot or two deep. The most annoying part came toward the end where they covered the owner's legal troubles. They would blur out pictures of his associates in newspaper articles, and redact chunks of the copy. If you have to redact stuff because it is untrue for some reason, you don't use the article in your documentary. If it is true and accurate, you don't redact it. There is a *lot* of reliance on hearsay and second-hand horror stories about injuries and other shenanigans. The most interesting part to me, the web of off-shore companies the owner set up to fake insurance coverage, was skimmed over in a couple of minutes.

In contrast, a Youtube channel called Defunctland (ran by the trustworthy sounding Kevin Perjurer) did an excellent half-hour mini-documentary of the park. He only covered stories covered in newspaper articles, and included unredacted primary sources. I'm guessing the producers of Class Action Park had the same amount of material to work with, and stretched it out to an hour and a half.

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  20. Kaskade10729

Re-Watch; Original Black-and-White Cut of

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vaughan, harmonica98 and Max_Renn83 like this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

The Man Who Laughs (1928) Flicker Alley blu-ray 6.5/10

Very nice restoration of possibly the most Expressionistic film ever made in America.

That said, I think I've seen this too many times; my enjoyment level was lower than on previous viewings. Stars Conrad Veidt in his last semi horror role (afaik)

[​IMG]

Vaughan and Jazzmonkie like this.
  22. David Fischer

Soul Food (1997)

Really enjoyed this film... Ebert gave it 3.5/4 stars, and have to agree.

"Soul Food'' tells the story of a big African-American family from Chicago with warm-hearted good cheer; in the way it cuts between stories of romance and trouble, it's like "Waiting to Exhale," but more down to earth and believable--and funnier. It knows about how black families stay in constant communication down three or four generations and out to third cousins--how when a matriarch like the movie's Big Mama (Irma P. Hall) hosts a holiday dinner, there are going to be a lot of people in the house, and a lot of stories to catch up with...

Watching "Soul Food,'' I reflected that in many ways it depicts a world which white audiences will find unfamiliar. Oh, Big Mama's family shares the same kinds of values, problems, worries, successes and failures as whites. But movies and TV often focus only on a narrow wedge of black America, showing pimps and junkies, outlaw teenagers and con men, but ignoring the vast and substantial African-American middle and working classes. George Tillman says "Soul Food'' is based in part on his own family, and I believe him, because he seems to know the characters so well; by the film's end, so do we." Soul Food movie review & film summary (1997) | Roger Ebert

[​IMG] [​IMG]

jhm likes this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

24. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

How are the films? I ordered the blu box on ebay & got ripped off by a scam seller. Is it worth seeking out the box when I finally get a refund from ebay? I've never seen any of the films.