Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. The Giant Claw is laughably bad. The fact that the puppet looks so awful...I don’t know how anyone didn’t laugh at it back in the 1950’s. One of the worst from Columbia.

2. Scopitone

Scopitone Inveterate Skipper

Midway - both the 70's one with Heston and the 2019 one.

The 70's one was better IMO. Plus the new one left out too many of my favorite bits about the battle - only barely touching on Torpedo 8's role/fate, and not even mentioning the fact that the Japanese pilots basically sank Yorktown twice. (as they understood it) Also, it missed the excitement of "Here it comes! Dick Best and Bomber 6 bout to mess up some carriers!" It was there, and we followed Best throughout the whole film. But it just didn't grab me the way it should have done.

The new one was better than Pearl Harbor, though I missed Alec Baldwin as Doolittle.

3. Scopitone

Scopitone Inveterate Skipper

Sounds like it needed more of the kinds off wacky characters in the delightful two documentaries about VHS collectors from 7 or 8 years ago: Adjust Your Tracking and another one whose name escapes me.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There's one where a guy travels across America visiting 8 Track collectors. The best bit is after the end credits about a guy playing Metal Machine Music in his car.

Scopitone likes this.
  5. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Underwater (2020)
    Belushi (2020)

6. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Boght this at the Amazon price match B&N sale per @Jimmy B. 's recommendation. I agree, it's a well done film. Kind of like Dragnet, if it had been made without the talent less Jack Webb.

Another film it reminded me of (though in a totally different genre) that's also on Criterion was Carnival Of Souls. Sounds like a reach; but both are indies, & both had no known actors. The only actor I recognized in Naked City was Howard Duff; who is known for once having been Mr. Ida Lupino; NOT for any talent (which he didn't have!). But both films totally transcended their casts.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  7. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

Are you referring to that god-awful Director's Cut he put out some time back? If so, I don't blame you for feeling that way -- they purposefully inserted comic book-esque panels between some sequences that announced "Oh no! It's the Baseball Furies!" and some other such ********...completely ruined that film.

The original theatrical cut doesn't include that.

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  8. Kaskade10729

Thanks for the heads up; I think I'll skip it.

You were a screen writer? I am a freelance writer with a plethora of experience contributing to various niche-centric magazines around the U.S.; now, I handle a bunch of clients from home.

9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Cape Fear (1991).
    Can't compare to the original - too over the top, to the point of cartoonish (esp. the further it went on) - but still highly entertaining.

(I saw this once before, many, many years ago)

Ilusndweller, Max_Renn83 and Mylene like this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Allied (2016)
    I lasted an hour, before it bored me to tears....
    Brad Pitt n' all that....
    I can't believe imdb rated this highly.
    Rubbish.
    3/10
    [​IMG]

11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yeah, just a little mindless fun pretty much. I don't regret watching it but it was still something new for the year's sake.

This Belushi documentary looks interesting. Need Showtime in Oz though...

12. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

13. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

Yep, that’s the one. However, this is the version Hill himself prefers:

“To be very frank, I’ve always kind of resisted these special editions of films where the director explains things. I am temperamentally against that. I think that the movies should speak for themselves and not demand special explanations and long apologias. But I always felt, with The Warriors, that the intentions of the film, the comic book origins, the historical connections to the Greeks, and the slightly futuristic quality to what I was trying to do had never really been stated and never been presented to a large audience. So I very much appreciate the change to… I won’t even say, get it right. There may be the argument that other people will say they liked the other version better, that’s fine. I understand that. I only say this, this will represent my intentions when I was making it and trying to put the thing together better than the original version. And I very much appreciate the opportunity that has presented itself to do that.”

Source: Introduction by Walter Hill to Ultimate Director’s Cut

Grand_Ennui and Kaskade10729 like this.
  14. Kaskade10729

Yeah -- I know how he feels about it; indeed, in basing it on that Greek mythology (which Clash of the Titans was kind of based on), he felt he could better tell the story of this band of "warriors" surviving a night of mayhem pitted against them by way of inserted comic panels. The majority of fans of the original film do NOT feel this way, I can tell you.

I had bought the Director's Cut DVD to replace the barebones Paramount disc of the theatrical cut I had owned for awhile, and immediately sold it to someone on an online forum who was disabled and who wanted to see for himself what the hoopla was all about. The ONLY definitive cut of this title, to fans anyway, is the theatrical version.

Ironically, I think the only Blu-ray available is of the stupid Director's Cut...:crazy:

Just watched my DVD last night because we were talking about it.....:goodie:

15. Kaskade10729

16. Kaskade10729

17. Kaskade10729

18. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Gretel And Hansel........weird but interesting movie.

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  19. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

Only The Lonely (1991)

One of my favorite John Candy films from John Hughes and Chris Columbus, and one of the often forgotten films of the early 90s.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Karnak and That's Mr. Foghat like this.
  20. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

A Bay of Blood (1971) on Shudder

From director Mario Bava (I had previously only seen Black Sunday) comes the tale of a woman who owns a bay that others want for various reasons. She gets knocked off in the opening scene. Then the person responsible for knocking her off is also knocked off. At some point it seems as if everyone is going to get knocked off or knock someone else off. I'm becoming an Italian horror / giallo fan. They have an artsy style even as they baffle with story ( or not story in some cases). Pretty scenery, cool 70s interior decoration, pretty ladies that may or may not remain clothed. So this one starts killing off victims like a regular ol' 80s slasher a few years before those really got going. Some 20 somethings that just end up at the wrong place at the wrong time? Dead. Who is trying desperately to inherit the bay? For money? Or just to preserve it as is? Who will double cross who? Or is it whom? It's convoluted, but it kept me tuned in and it all ends with a "what the what?" shot (literally) that made me laugh out loud. Which I'm not sure Bava was going for, but there it is. I don't know if I'd call it great, but I was entertained. Several Bava films are now streaming on Shudder and I'll check them all out.

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special (2020)

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

23. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I got to watch that in health class back in about 86 or 87. Then in college I got to watch "Born in East L.A." for Spanish. :edthumbs:

24. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last Night.....
    [​IMG]

25. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member