Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

well....after watching a movie for near 100 minutes out of.....163 minutes and the movie just got worse and boring I couldn't watch anymore and gave up, then I decided to watch this movie, instead (could've watched a whole other movie instead of near 2/3rds of that one)

[​IMG]
    MYSTERY TRAIN.
    Fine entertainment, starring Screamin' Jay Hawkins and some other people.
    Got this at B & N with their half off list sale, this Monday.
    The supplements have a small bit of the movie I Put A Spell On Me on it;
    wish the whole thing could have been on this! Or a separate disc.
    I have the DVD but it's not all regions and my DVD player ain't hooked up to it the Blu-ray needs it and etc etc
    anyway a fine movie man I'm tired
    7.5/10

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Jazzmonkie likes this.
  2. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

The Getaway (1972)

Max_Renn83 and LeBon Bush like this.
  3. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Variety Lights (1950) - Federico Fellini's first movie as a director. Many scenes and themes in this occur throughout his career. I'm just getting started on Criterion's Essential Fellini set. Giulietta Masina shines brightly as usual.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  4. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

This set arrived today after I snagged it in a Powerhouse sale :edthumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mylene and moomoomoomoo like this.
  5. Borgia

Borgia Forum Resident

First Reformed.....hmmm. I liked it, but I'm still wondering about the ending.

6. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

7. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

All Quiet On The Western Front (1930)

Mylene and moomoomoomoo like this.
  8. Kaskade10729

9. Kaskade10729

10. Kaskade10729

11. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

War Of The Worlds (1953) 7/10

Another of the type I've been watching lately: Classic I've never seen that's well done despite the lack of any actors known to me. George Pal produced, & the special effects were pretty advanced for 1953. I did dock it .5 of a point for a bit more of a Christian theme in places than I am comfortable with.

[​IMG]

12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

I finished watching the first movie I....the movie I watched 98 minutes of last night -
    Martin Scorsese's New York, New York.
    From 1977, starring Liza Minnelli and Robert De Niro.
    This was a seriously problematic movie for me and a very hard watch.
    I don't know if I can comment on it without giving away some spoilers (not sure if they ARE spoilers, however)
    so I'll use the button now:
    Anyway what starts out as a promising movie with a seemingly romantic theme as well as a "nod" to the big band era, becomes a tale of a really abusive husband to a wife who takes it all like a doormat, sadly. I mean it did get boring after around an hour or maybe less, but the main problem - besides the damn length of this thing, was how horrible he treated her. Their "romance" - he's a sax player, she's a singer - turned into hell, with his behavior making him seem much less like a distinctively different character than he's played and more like part of Travis Bickle or his version of Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull - it became too hard to bear. As one review of this put it, perhaps this deserved an even more downbeat ending. I would have been happier with his character killed off in the end, somehow. He was such an *******
    And what made me watch this, interested in it, was that I absolutely loved the movie The Man I Love (1946), starring Ida Lupino, with Robert Alda (the first time I saw it). So did Scorsese, as this inspired this movie to be made.
    But this can't hold a candle in my opinion to The Man I Love (too bad that one was not titled its original title, Why Was I Born? - I think that's a much better title for it).
    No. This was too long, very boring in a lot of it, as it went on, and the
    abuse by De Niro as Jimmy to Liza's innocent Francine, often seemingly for no reason, was too much to take, for me.
    Also included a small role by Clarence Clemons in it. Who cares.
    Whatever flaws I found in the movie Cape Fear, at least that was a riveting movie to watch (and I forgot to mention, had some great dialogue in a scene with De Niro and Juliette Lewis, which actually felt out of place in that movie).
    Some people love this movie, New York, New York, and Liza's a riveting presence (and quite beautiful to me, which I never noticed in the past), but as much as she is the highlight of it (esp. one song, But The World Goes 'Round), she just can't save the picture. And she was the only good thing about it.
    Christ, I should have posted this on IMDB! ha. ah why bother....
    I'd give this around a 4.5 or something at best, and that's because of Liza. I - nah, a 4. I don't know what Scorsese was doing with this one. The Man I love was a really great film; he rescued that one and paid for its restoration from what I gather, so I'm glad he liked that movie. De Niro's character is just too messed up in this one.

I really did want to like this movie. I thought I would probably wind up loving it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Life Is Beautiful on Blu-ray.
    My second time seeing it, first time in Italian.
    It's much better in Italian.
    Unfortunately I found this way too depressing tonight.
    The early scenes' comic values shine through, but ultimately, this is SUCH a grim movie. Very depressing; in no way uplifting, to me now.
    I think I would rather see Schindler's List - not mix up comedy into such a serious topic.
    I found the movie very effective the first time I watched - as it went on, and got past the awful dubbing (what's the point of watching an English dubbed movie when their lips not meeting the words make you want to focus on subtitles or captions anyway? But it was the only choice offered to rent, on Xfinity - and Amazon's advertising of their rental as being in Italian is false. It's English dubbed too.)

David Fischer likes this.
  14. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

*wow.
    I just was reading about the movie on wikipedia, after seeing a review on IMDB,
    and I can't believe it, but I misunderstood what exactly happened at the end.
    well I guess it's more appropriate what did happen......

15. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last Night.....
    [​IMG]

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

33 minutes...
    3 too late
    today SUCKS.

17. vapor minor

vapor minor Amuse douche

Road to Perdition (2002)

Munich (2005)

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Inheritance (2019)
    [​IMG]

Good, but not great.
    The trailer was better than the film.

19. geoffr

geoffr Forum Resident

“The Man Who Would be King” (1975)
    Still great.

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  20. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

I realize it’s a broad field but for gonzo Nic Cage performances, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is hard to beat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

A Matter of Loaf and Death, plus a bonus Shaun the Sheep ep

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It was like he started out wanting to do some sort of homage to the MGM musicals (did you see the uncut version with the movie within a movie?), then just got lost in the weeds and made a drama with DeNiro as the unlikable 'hero' from the other films. And the rush to close it--DeNiro has a hit jazz single and all of a sudden he has enough cash to buy a large club in NYC? Huh?
    I admit to gasping back in 77 when I saw "Tommy Dorsey" on the screen playing 'sentimental'.
    I never saw the 'other' ending, but supposedly there are versions of it with that.

23. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

Jackie Brown (1997)
    [​IMG]

24. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

A Matter... is a great movie more people should discover. Shaun is pretty awesome too.

25. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I watched “Der Hauptmann ( The Captain)” on Amazon Prime the other day.

Based on a true story, a strange but utterly engrossing film:

The Captain (2017 film) - Wikipedia

LeBon Bush and Borgia like this.