Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Der Frosch mit der Maske (directed by Harald Reinl, 1959), Der rote Kreis (Jürgen Roland, 1960), Bande des Schreckens (Reinl, 1960). A masked criminal mastermind spreads fear among the upper crust of London society for their lives and money, yet an enterprising, handsome hero unravels the devious plot, and finds romance with a damsel in distress. Formulaic and clichéd though they may be, the first three films in a series of German Edgar Wallace filmatisations are shot in beautifully lit black and white and chock full of big characters and general eerieness. The semi ensemble cast is fun to watch as they take on mostly new roles in each entry. Klaus Kinski was a big presence in some of the later ones. I have been reading the informative articles (in German) at die-medienhuren.de to accompany my viewing of the films.

2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

yes I saw the long version; I rented it BTW HD stream and the quality was pretty damn awful for a rental (soft focus at times is putting it mildly)
    Yeah he started out quite different than the movie became
    I haven't seen the other ending, it was pretty confusing the way this movie was, the way it was thrown together and with the great changes in it.
    There's a good article on it I found:
    DREAMS ARE WHAT LE CINEMA IS FOR...: NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1977

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember an interview at the time........MS didn't like the clothes chosen for the title song sequence. Liza went out on the prowl for something quick and came back with the red top.
    She tried it on and someone whispered to MS 'OMG, she looks just like Ju-" and MS said 'shhhh.' "That looks great Liza, let's go.'

Jimmy B. likes this.
  4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The Sterile Cuckoo (1969) starring Liza Minnelli and Wendell Burton.
    I can't put it into words but this movie just moved me to tears.
    Incredible performance by Minnelli. Really something else. She won a very well-deserved Oscar for it.
    [​IMG]
    From the same blogspot that reviewed New York, New York, above (and I apologize for my comment about "today," I was feeling embarrassed last night, not today)
    comes this review of it, with spoilers galore: DREAMS ARE WHAT LE CINEMA IS FOR...: THE STERILE CUCKOO 1969

Mylene and Dear 23 like this.
  5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

American Utopia (2020)
    [​IMG]

LeBon Bush and Mylene like this.
  6. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Raging Bull

Max_Renn83, Jimmy B. and Pinknik like this.
  7. Karnak

Karnak "81-82-83-84..."

Rear Window - on TCM tonight. Love that rebuke of Stewart to his buddy(Corey) -"How's your Wife?!!":laugh: Though not quite as funny as Stewart's "What's this doo-hickey?" in Vertigo. Liked Corey here as well, better than that thankless role in the Christmas movie(with that damned train) opposite Robert Mitchum.

LeBon Bush, Jimmy B. and Jazzmonkie like this.
  8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Planes, Trains and Automobiles on blu-ray.

A classic.

Max_Renn83, jhm and Karnak like this.
  9. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The Mystery Of D.B. Cooper (2020)

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Arthur (1981) on DVD (cropped to FS - oh well).
    The caption (if that's the right word) on the top of this poster image from Wikipedia shows the problematic issues with this movie - if you analyze them. This movie's not meant to be.
    (Incidentally, 750 million dollars, a disgusting amount for one individual to have, is equal to 2 billion, 223 million dollars now)

Anyway,
    I hadn't seen this DVD in ages,
    and found the first half of it extremely funny,
    I laughed harder at this than any movie in ages.
    I think overall it's a very good escapist comedy.
    (Oh yeah, and I had rented Cabaret but could not get very far - I have a couple of days still to watch it - wanted a comedy instead.
    This happens to have Liza Minnelli - looking at what movies she did simply reminded me of it recently - but I could have watched, oh Coming To America just as well [wow, another movie involving truly obscene wealth - but not alcoholism, and the chemistry of the love story/romance in that is better, more believable])
    Well anyway I quite enjoyed this.
    Good for some serious laughs.
    Sir John Gielgud is very good in it too.

I needed a laugh. This delivered, in spades.

Max_Renn83 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Forum Resident

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Watched The Croods 2 today in the theater.

Much better than the first movie.

14. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    My third of three Liza Minnelli movies this past 12 hours app., and 4th in the last 2 days. I'm done for now.
    This....had its moments for sure, though the Nazis and....all the bigotry and hatred was hard to take.
    I know I'm supposed to revel in the decadence or something, but I can't.
    I liked Liza Minnelli's acting and beauty. And her singing, with the song Maybe This Time being the best one for me in this.

15. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

What a fantastic movie. I return to this more than any other Tarantino film.

Jazzmonkie and David Fischer like this.
  16. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

It is definitely my favorite Tarantino film. Couldn’t agree more.

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  17. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Ironic, that is the only Minnelli film I like!

18. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Watching 7 Faces of Dr. Lao

Max_Renn83, Jimmy B. and Jazzmonkie like this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Twilight Zone recent reboot Season 1. Much better than Season 2, but not even close to the original.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Rambo III in 4K

21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
    [​IMG]

Jimmy B. and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  22. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I saw it a few different times at Saturday matinees in the '60's. It's one of the first DVDs I ever bought.

Max_Renn83 and Jimmy B. like this.
  23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

CLASSIC!

brownie61 likes this.
  24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Blue Velvet, Criterion Collection upgrade (I wish I had not trusted in that reviewer on Blu-ray.com who said the MGM one was perfect looking too; it's fine, but a good deal softer than this.)
    This was a massive upgrade, with such great depth at times, from the 4k transfer.
    The movie itself, I've seen this too many times recently for it to have full impact. Third time now in...the past....five weeks, I guess?

The outtake of the dog onstage at the Slow Club is still the great missing moment in this movie to me!

I liked Isabella Rossellini in the main feature the most, this time, I think.

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Watched Doctor Strange tonight.

Solid Marvel movie. I hear Doctor Strange is going to be big in the Spiderman movies taking over Ironmans job.