Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Logan (2017)

Have you heard of (director) James Mangold? The guy is very good. He recently did Ford vs. Ferrari. Among other films he's done: Leopold and Kate, Copland, 3:10 to Yuma, and Walk the Line the Johnny Cash movie. I've seen and enjoyed all of them. He's a multi-talented director, and these are all quite different types of films.

Personally I dislike and avoid the Marvel comics / DC superhero movies. It's popular ($$) for comix nerds, of which I definitely am not one. But I recently saw an interview that Mangold did for Logan in 2017. I had no idea he made this movie . Three years after it came out I finally watched it.

I was puzzled. Why on Earth would he do a comix superhero movie? Short answer: He tries a wide range of film genres and tries to not be pigeon-holed into one type of movie. I think he succeeds.

In my opinion he turned what could have been a dumb (but profitable) genre film into dare I say, if not a work of art, an excellent film about a father / daughter relationship that was secondarily about a guy / mutant with fading super powerz. I'd never heard of Dafne Keen, she's 12 in this movie (2017) Dafne Keen - IMDb) I guess she inherited some acting genes from her father and mother, British actor Will Keen and Spanish actress / author / theater director Maria Fernandez. She has a very expressive face.

The scene where she finally speaks to Logan in the truck and erupts in a non-stop blur of fast Spanish is so funny. Hugh Jackman as Logan plays it perfectly too. The timing, the surprise, it's classic. And she's got a great "don't mess with me" mean-mug ;-)

The scene where Logan dies and his daughter calls him Daddy is a tear-jerker. I mean that in the best possible way. I cried. A *****ng Marvel comics superhero movie and I was actually crying! Ms. Keen has some acting skills, it was very well done. Also, the scenes with Patrick Stewart as Logan's ailing Father are also perfect. If you've ever dealt with an ailing parent it's heart wrenching to watch those scenes.

It's not a spoiler that Logan dies, everyone knew this was Jackman's last go 'round as Wolverine in these comix spinoff movies.

Mangold did it right, this is a film that's way more than what it's advertised as. The hardcore comix nerds got their movie but people who like human interest stories also got a movie too. Which I think is why it was so incredibly popular.

This is a director who if I hear he's done a movie, I'll go see it just based on that. I think he's that good.

Chaz sez: Logan is HIGHLY recommended!
    5 / 5

Here's some interviews:
    ‘Be Inspired to Try Things, Miracles Happen When Someone Takes a Chance': A Conversation with James Mangold • Cinephilia & Beyond

‘Walk the Line’: How James Mangold Uncovered the Emotional History of Johnny Cash • Cinephilia & Beyond

You’re Gonna Be Redeemed: The Jersey Noir and Western Fable of James Mangold’s ‘Cop Land’ • Cinephilia & Beyond

vapor minor, MartyTem and jhm like this.
  2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

Latest update: Blue Velvet / Ace In The Hole / All About Eve / Badlands / Breaking Point / The Cameraman / Circus / Do The Right Thing /
    Endless Night / Flywheel / The Gunfighter / I Wanna Hold Your Hand / Night & The City / Now, Voyager / We Dive At Dawn. Great movies!

[​IMG]

3. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Early Don Seigal road movie. Good fun.

5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Movie Trailers - A Love Story

YouTuber John Campea directed and produced a documentary about how movie trailers were introduced along with the impact it has made throughout the past 110 years. Very interesting feature.

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Way up in the middle of the air.

Animal Crackers (1930). Just in case you want to know where Alan Alda got his M*A*S*H schtick. :D

Comedy hasn't changed much. I watched Anchorman with Will Farrell a few weeks ago, and it's a bunch of random comedy scenes, most work, some don't, superimposed on a half-baked story, just like Animal Crackers. I find both movies pretty funny.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  7. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

The Irishman on Criterion BD (all 3.5 hours of it).

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  8. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

I just got through the first 20 minutes of Rocket Man, I have seen enough.

Rigoberto and moomoomoomoo like this.
  9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The Manchurian Candidate (1962).
    I got this on DVD early 2017, saw it recently on DVD, found it absolutely incredible, an outstanding movie.
    Upped to Blu-ray last week, but it was the DVD viewing.....
    A masterpiece.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    ChazFromCali and Max_Renn83 like this.
  10. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

House Of Frankenstein from the Dracula Legacy blu-ray set 5.75/10

While an adequate character actor, John Carradine may very well be the worst Dracula ever. Even Boris Karloff couldn't save this turkey.

[​IMG]

11. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

12. Kaskade10729

13. Kaskade10729

14. Kaskade10729

15. Kaskade10729

Just received in the mail:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Kaskade10729

Just arrived in the mail:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Witness For The Prosecution (1957)

This movie is never the same later as it was the first time you saw it. It cannot be.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hillbilly Elegy

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  19. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

House Of Dracula from the Dracula Legacy blu-ray set 5/10

Another turkey with John Carradine as Dracula.

I've seen these before, but it's dawning on my at my ripe old age, they were made for 12-15 year olds.

I am NOT going to watch Abbot & Costello meets Dracula for the 3rd time. I despise slapstick, even if Lugosi is in that one.

[​IMG]

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  20. Kaskade10729

21. Shoehorn with Teeth

Shoehorn with Teeth Romans 6:23

Kill Bill: Volume 2

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Margin Call
    Fantastic. Spacey and Irons were great and their scenes together were perfect
    I really dislike Demi Moore but she was perfect here

felipezorro and brownie61 like this.
  23. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Indiscreet - Cary Grant & Ingrid Bergman
    Love this movie such a classic fun movie no one like either one of these stars

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  24. Kaskade10729

Just Received in the Mail:

[​IMG]

To Replace:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The Man From UNCLE - Surprising...that Guy Ritchie could make such a truly boring movie.