The last movie you watched was...? (take four)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal. At least one hour too long.

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

4. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Chaplin's The Kid. My least favorite of his films I've seen so far but still brilliant, which says a lot about him.

5. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

Annie Hall

6. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

American Graffiti (1973) - repertory showing of one of the worst-condition prints I have ever seen. I love seeing film on film, but sometimes, digital projection is better.

Gavinyl likes this.
  7. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Cactus Flower

Cute old film. The opening credits actually say "introducing" Goldie Hawn - makes me feel a little old!

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Kick Ass 2...

Humbuster and winojunko76 like this.
  9. Kuzronk

Kuzronk Well-Known Member

Mind Game

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Godzilla (2014)

11. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Star Wars. Hadn't seen it in a few years. Family Guy has made it hard to watch in places!:)

12. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

The Grand Budapest Hotel.

13. Michael

Immortal...strange, very strange.

14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

THERE WILL BE BLOOD!
    I can't think of a better performance than DDL in the last ten yrs

Gavinyl likes this.
  15. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1973 Dan Curtis version - new MPI Blu-ray) - Nicely done take on the book, with Jack Palance as the count. Has a bit of a Hammer vibe to it, and
    the location shooting adds a touch of authenticity. Curtis cribs freely from his earlier HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, but I didn't mind.

THE SWIMMER (new Grindhouse Blu-ray) - I love this flick. Looks great in the new HD transfer. Can't wait to dig into the voluminous extrees.

CARBON COPY - Rich executive George Segal is visited by the son he never knew he had, an inner-city African American played by a young Denzel Washington (in his screen debut).
    Not terribly funny, and the social commentary doesn't amount to much. Good people in it (it's always nice to see Dick Martin), but ultimately not that great. Would've been better
    done a few years later with Eddie Murphy in the son role, or as a straight drama.

MILLION DOLLAR ARM - OK, but a bit too long and not a whole lot of baseball in this baseball movie.

GODZILLA - Should it really take an hour for the titular character to show up in the film that bears his name? Frustrating as well is that most of the monster action is partially obscured,
    viewed through windshields, rubble, or other obstructions. Too often we cut away from monster action to the uninteresting human characters, who take up way too much time in this 2-hour
    tale. I realize that you can't have the runtime made up entirely of non-verbal monster mayhem, but if you're plunking down two bills to see a giant monster movie, there really should be a bit
    more giant monster action than was offered here. It's a mostly well-made film, gloriously free of shaky BS, but why does it go out of its way most of the time to NOT show us the monsters? I saw
    this in 3D, which didn't add much, and if anything made most of the night-time monster melees (which is most of them) even darker and harder to see than they already were. There were some
    nice moments here and there, but only one or two moments where I felt like I was watching a real Godzilla movie. Hoping that the success of this leads to a sequel that's more about monsters
    than estranged fathers and sons.

16. dustybooks

2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time in a couple years. I try to watch it every year but hadn't had time. Still glorious, never gets old.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Number 23
    Best viewed
    Score
    +
    3 times. :)

18. Mark Nelson

THREE DAYS TO KILL - New Kevin Costner action/comedy co-written by Luc Besson and directed by McG. Really liked it a lot. Funny, badass, with
    well-done (and visually comprehensible!) action and a surprising amount of heart.

GODZILLA VS. THE THING (US version of GODZILLA VS MOTHRA) - Fun and light, a nice way to spend 88 minutes on a Sunday afternoon.

19. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Restoration of 'An Autumn Afternoon' (1962). Beautifully melancholic.

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Anchorman 2 , loved it!!

21. Michael

House On Haunted Hill-Colorized.

22. Michael

Jack was a great Dracula! he most def has the face for it...great actor! one of my favs.

Larry Mc likes this.
  23. Mark Nelson

Very tortured and animalistic performance by Palance at times in that flick. A goodie.

Larry Mc likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

War Horse - Great !!!

25. dustybooks

Darling (the John Schlesinger movie with Julie Christie). Good heavens. Stunning. And it seems like almost everyone who's ever reviewed the film had a wholly different take on it than me, but oh well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.