The last Neil Young album you really cared about

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Psychedelic Pill (2012) was great, and Le Noise (2010) was interesting and different (a bit on the short side for that sort of thing, though). But I'm not sure if he's done anything really, truly great (I mean masterpiece type great) for a while now....

2. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

Weld. Albums since then have had a few tracks of interest, but no one album I really care about. His shows are a different story - they seem in many ways to be getting stronger as he moves through life.

BDC likes this.
  3. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yup

bonus and Stone Turntable like this.
  4. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

The Monsanto Years :)

5. Sleeps With Angels for me. Throw in the Complex Sessions promo/video but it's all been downhill since.

6. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

"Harvest".

tvstrategies likes this.
  7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Silver and Gold

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Rust Never Sleeps

DrZhivago, Jim G., CMcGeek and 2 others like this.
  9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Lucky 13

Unplugged

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  10. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

The Monsanto Years

Clanceman likes this.
  11. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

If I considered "really cared about" to be the same as "which albums would I re-purchase if my house burnt down" then I would say Rust Never Sleeps. But that's only if I stick to what I consider absolutely essential albums. Eventually I'd probably end up re-purchasing Freedom, Ragged Glory, and Sleeps With Angels.

Joti Cover likes this.
  12. jaxpads

jaxpads Friendly Listener

I'm probably in minority, but I really liked Greendale in all its manifestations.

Wmcmanus, kBear, fmfxray373 and 10 others like this.
  13. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I guess "Le Noise". I liked everything I heard from "Americana" but I didn't buy it. My wife bought "Letter Home" but I haven't heard it or "Storytone". Didn't like "Pill", listened to "Monsanto" once online and feel that's enough for now.

Me too, but I've liked other stuff since. I even thought "Fork in the Road" was a lot of fun.

14. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

Acoustic Storytone Psychedelic Pill

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Greendale. Someone mentioned Bandit the other day and I put the album on while painting the house. The time, and paint, flew as I listened intently. A fantastic album and story.

I haven't heard Monsanto yet. I guess I should.

bonus likes this.
  16. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Since the question is in the past tense, I'll say Greendale. I haven't listened to it in years though. Otherwise, either Ragged Glory or Harvest Moon.

17. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Prairie Wind for me,love the Heart Of Gold DVD too.

John Grimes and Mr-Beagle like this.
  18. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

By release date: Neil Young & The International Harvesters - A Treasure (2011, recorded 1985)
    By recording date: Mirror Ball (1995)

mattright likes this.
  19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Landing on Water.
    The weirder Neil is the more I like his work.

20. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

Live Rust is the last thing I listen to regularly. Every couple of years I'll play the Trans era dvd.

CMcGeek likes this.
  21. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Live Rust

CMcGeek likes this.
  22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Much of his recent work has done very little for me, but I do really like Psychedelic Pill. The Le Noise album was OK, although I really loved how he performed the material in concert. Very visceral. Before these releases, Chrome Dreams II was pretty good (the show I saw during this time remains my favorite Neil concert) and I think Sleeps with Angels might be one of his last great works.

23. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Ya man, there's always at least one classic on every album. And Monsanto Years has a lot more than that, love it.

highway likes this.
  24. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I have been meaning to check out Psychedelic Pill and Le Noise.

The last album I liked anything from was Chrome Dreams II (Ordinary People)... The last one I really loved was Ragged Glory.

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The Monsanto Years

I’ve learned it’s a mistake to write off anything Neil Young does, and I’m in it for the duration. Even when an album is fatally flawed for various reasons (and both A Letter Home and Monsanto qualify in spades), there’s almost always something to redeem it — often an incredible series of live performance , like the ones that NY & the Promise of the Real have been delivering. The most astounding example to me was the International Harvesters tour that followed the stiff, tepid Old Ways. Unflippingbelievable.

BTW, to the extent that these “When Did You Stop Caring About or Paying Attention To or Giving a S*%t About” threads have a built-in assumption that the artist in question is washed-up and generally understood to have become a big horrible sad disappointment to us fat-ass lazy bastard listeners. I really resent them. There’s way too many disillusionment prOn threads lately.

DanG, jy3iix, fmfxray373 and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.