"The Last Of Us" TV series. WARNING: Spoilers within..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

But wait, there's more...

2. Why the 25+ people in the cage just didn’t rush the unarmed leader and the single, one armed gunman stretches credulity. All the writers needed to do was to have her speak to them from outside the cage to avoid this but no.

Rufus McDufus and timind like this.
  3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I think Jerry could have taken them all out before they got to him.

4. Grab the leader and use her as a shield. Regardless, he didn’t even have his gun ‘at the ready’, so yeah he might have taken out a few but not all.

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

If they had seen what happened to the FEDRA peeps on the street, they may have been too scared to move.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

It (bloater) didn't do much for me. I guess that's where the original source material comes into play? The "humanization" of the fungi I understand is needed as an interactive game but as a nonparticipation TV series I would have liked the fungi to be presented without that humanization and be more of a mysterious riddle. In other words less of a monster. Just my preference.

Rufus McDufus and timind like this.
  7. lazydawg58

It was a little confusing to me but it seems the plan was to release it on HBO MAX and On Demand for streaming on Friday. But on the HBO channels it will still show at it's regular Sunday night slot. How many actually watch that way? I sometimes do, but often just pull it up on On Demand so it fits my schedule.

timind and Pete Puma like this.
  8. Smith

Smith I'm cyanide over you.

Just watched E05.

Beautiful handling of one of my favourite storylines from the game - wasn't entirely sure that they'd go through with it all, happy they didn't shy away.

And yeah, Bella Ramsey 100 times better than I thought she could be - amazing job by both leads.

Liked also that they filled in some of Kathleen's backstory - still not 100% sold on her being able to command all those followers but better understanding her role in the 'revolution' helped a lot.

Calgary making for a great post-apocalyptic wasteland, too.

timind likes this.
  9. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

I can buy the resolution to Episode 5, and it seems like the writers really want to keep Joel and Ellie moving on their own, but I think it would have been more interesting to have
    Henry not kill himself, and have to work through his guilt, and find some purpose in life, while travelling with Joel and Ellie.

Aggie87 and cleandan like this.
  10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Man, just watched ep 5, don't become to close to the characters, quite a death toll in this episode. Finally we get to see the damage the creatures of the deep can do!

11. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Episode 5 was great! Really well done.

Holler Wanderer likes this.
  12. JohnG

Nothing worse than a child “zombie”. Yikes!

Interesting that the big bad Soccer Mom Warrior who defeated the FEDRA army (and can just wave her arm and say “kill them all” gets so quickly waylayed but it makes sense as Joel and Abby have to move on and the story isn’t about Kansas City. Liked the characters of Henry and Sam and do wish they could have continued on for a while longer.

timind likes this.
  13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Worth considering that she never had to deal with the infected as FEDRA had already dealt with them before she dealt with FEDRA. Perhaps she did not fully appreciate the dangerous situation she was in. . . But I am glad they wrapped this interlude up quickly. I had a major issue with Walking Dead because it kept getting bogged down with lengthy multi episode confrontations with annoying villains. I eventually lost patience with Negan (was that his name?) and quit watching.

14. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

You completely took the words out of my mouth. As soon as she appeared I must admit my spirits sunk a bit, as I also got so sick of the villain storylines in TWD dragging on and on for entire seasons, and that's exactly what she reminded me of. It was quite refreshing that she was so swiftly despatched!

15. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

I don't know the game at all. Just watched it as a TV show. And after two episodes it started doing The Walking Dead thing of 'we need to string this out for ages yet so here are some digressions...' It happens in so many shows these days and I really cannot stand it.

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Last episode closed with a song by Agnes Obel, I'm sure I've gushed over her more than anyone else on the forum. Much better than the previous episode IMO.

kouzie and timind like this.
  17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I’ve got a hunch that this will be the only Last of Us thread pretty soon.

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

I finished watching episode 5 last night at about 8:30, went downstairs immediately for a listen to Agnes.

Synthfreek and lazydawg58 like this.
  19. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

What do you mean by digressions? The premise of the show is a road trip, which means our protagonists will run into different situations along the way.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  20. lazydawg58

It's like Oh Brother Where Art Thou but 100 years later and after the apocalypse! :tiphat:

JohnG, pocketcalculator and Phil Tate like this.
  21. JohnG

Same here, the minute I saw the character and her demeanor, the show dropped a few pegs for me but some people think she was alright. But we been here many times before with other shows especially Fear The Walking Dead and Virginia, man I hated that character.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  22. lazydawg58

I'm somewhat confused regarding what group is what.

Can someone offer a brief overview?

Here's what I think I know. The government went full on Totalitarian when the infection started. Is that what is now referred to as Fedra?

Joel was a part of a loose knit underground society that was just trying to survive.

Then there is a group called the Fireflies that are an antigovernment revolutionary group trying to overthrow Fedra?

Then there is the Kansas City group led by Kathleen. They were kind of the good guys right, but were very ruthless against Fedra and kind of became what they were fighting against?

So clear white hats and black hats aren't in the picture? Everyone is wearing a gray hat because in order to survive everyone has done some pretty ****ty things.

How far off am I on this?

23. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Last episode also mentioned the collaberators, I'm not clear on all this either.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  24. lazydawg58

Yes they said Henry and those people Kathleen was interrogating were "collaborators" didn't they? I took that to mean they were working with the government (Fedra?) secretly, informants I guess?

25. GregM

GregM The expanding man

These questions could be answered based on the game, which I understand is verboten in this thread. Less easily answered based on the show, but you pieced it together pretty well.

lazydawg58 likes this.