"The Last Of Us" TV series. WARNING: Spoilers within..

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Feb 3, 2023.

1. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

We started this a few weeks ago; and picked it up again yesterday to continue it. Too much like the Walking Dead in my mind which is why I was resistant to continuing with it. The acting is superb, so that made it worthwhile for me anyway, to agree to watch a few more episodes. Watched the episode Long, Long Time last night and it was very emotional and the acting was fantastic, so we watched the next one today just before the Super Bowl. I am curious now to see what is going to happen; the performances more than compensate for a story I am not as into.

timind and lazydawg58 like this.
  2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Thanks, I definitely don't want to get into what we would know if we played the game, just what I might not have caught or understood in the episodes seen so far. For instance in KC there was some protesting / rioting that was seen setting up the Henry / Sam introduction. I was confused as too who was who there? Were Kathreen's group the one's putting down the riot or leading the riot? Who were the groups on each side? Was Fedra one of them or were these just KC residents fighting one another, some supporters of Kathreen's group, others seeing that they had gone bad and fighting against them as they had fedra?

3. This

From what I gathered, Kathreen's group were leading the riots, the collaborators were informing to Fedra.
    Definitely don't require any perspective from the game to make these conclusions and hopefully the drama will continue to add to the world building through story and exposition

lazydawg58 likes this.
  4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It seems like FEDRA was being met with resistance by Kath's brother, who the collaborators like Henry turned in. This was the last straw for the resistance. They apparently overpowered and liquidated FEDRA and then started rounding up and murdering the collaborators before Joel came to town. E5 opens with Henry and Sam trying to elude the rebels who have taken control of the city. I thought it was the strongest episode yet
    but Kath just doesn't seem charismatic or shrewd enough to be a leader. I don't get why they keep focusing on characters like that who seem unconvincing in their roles and end up dead anyway, ultimately inconsequential and taking screen time away from more important characters or plot dev.

5. lazydawg58

Thanks, that makes sense. I had assumed that Kath's group had been in charge for a long time, but they had just taken control. So Joel and Ellie just drove in at exactly the wrong time, as the transition from Fedra to Kath's group (did we ever get a name for them?) was taking place.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never heard of this show, but I want to...thanks for the thread. something new!

Crack To The Egg likes this.
  7. My reaction? (I've never played the video game nor do I have any knowledge of that stuff outside what has been argued in the other failed thread)
    Well now, what is this??!!!
    It's huge. It's strong. It's aggressive....but it is still formed from what used to be human.
    How can it be bullet proof?
    Unloading about 30 rounds into it had zero effect, as well as assuming other non-viewed attackers were also shooting at the beast.
    Ohhh, it just ripped his head right off.

That just did not work for me because they have not written immunity to harm into the infected characters.
    I would be okay with the Bloater being hard to take down and kill....If a regular infected can be killed with one well placed shot maybe the bloater needs ten well placed shots, but it is still harmed in the process.
    Apparently not in episode 5 because the Bloater comes out of the hole and begins rampaging around with what seemed like total immunity to any form of attack mounted against it at that time.
    How does a fungus mutated human become impervious to fire and bullet holes?

ABBDutchFan and timind like this.
  8. She is armed because she carries a pistol on her hip.
    She was also protected with her right hand rifleman (can't remeber his name, and he lost his head in the battle anyway)

But, with that said, my first thought was to group ambush her and the rifleman from the get go. They will likely shoot one or two of us but we WILL over take them.

Yes, keeping her outside the cage would be one way to approach this but then it would not showcase how mentally unstable she actually has become.

She was, and has been, driven by hate and revenge...at all costs.
    She has reached, at least in her mind, a state of self righteous power that she no longer interprets anyone or anything as a threat to her perceived power anymore.
    Her choices, orders, thought process, and risk taking for all involved have proven she is not making clear choices beyond that which serves her lust for revenge.
    Even when faced with a literal groundswell of infected, including one giant monster of an infected, she simply focuses on enacting her revenge on Henry without much care for the firestorm that surrounds her.
    Only at the point of her being literally attacked does she acknowledge that potential, at which point it is far too late.

In the end her revenge driven choices become her, and most of her tribes, demise.

I was asking myself, since we met her in episode 4, what is driving you this hard?
    Once we find out it centers on her brothers death and is focused on a single person who turned her brother over to FEDRA, it becomes clear she is no longer thinking clearly.
    She literally risks everyone, and everything, to seek her revenge.

JohnG and lazydawg58 like this.
  9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

The shots all missed? Did they show any landing?

cleandan likes this.
  10. If I had witnessed what was done to the FEDRA people in the street, at the hands of this KC tribe, it would specifically drive me to take strong action because I know I am doomed anyway so why not at least try to fight my way out.
    There is ZERO safety, or mercy, within the realm of the KC tribe if the leader deems you unworthy...and those people were all unworthy in her mind.
    If you are deemed worthy by her, you are a mere mental thought away from being killed too because she is unstable.

In a survival situation her type of mentality is one that should be removed for the betterment of all other survivors.

11. Oooohhhh, I was unaware the KC tribe had attended Storm Trooper firearms training.......That explains a LOT.

The Bloater was approaching in a straight line, without variation, and not too quickly either.
    The rifleman was solely focued on shooting the Bloater.....I think it was implied he was hitting his mark, but his mark was unaffected by the shots.

If the Bloater had wreaked havoc, been shot many times, but still overcame the KC tribe....and died at the end too, that would have worked for me.
    But the Bloater simply stepped out of the hole, took no apparent damage, killed everything in sight, and seemed to make its way back to the hole.....Not so plausible to me.

Have it lose an arm, maybe even half its head, fall down a couple times but get back up to continue its rampage...but to be immune? No.

ABBDutchFan, timind and lazydawg58 like this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

You just have to roll with the sketchy premise.
    Because that's all it is.
    I heard a piece on NPR the other day where they addressed this show and the potential of fungal as opposed to viral infections/potential epidemics and there is practically nil chances of a fungal 'epidemic' of any size or type.

Apparently fungal infections are pretty rare and easy to deal with (IDK about the flesh eating bacteria deal in the south though...), and they move ridiculously slow.
    In other words the science behind this particular zombie fiction is hilariously exaggerated and basically non existent.

So they can do whatever they want with these zombie characters, just don't look to reality for any back up.

timind likes this.
  13. Oh I think "worse" is the part where it is your child who has become a zombie and you are the one who must kill your own child in order to survive.......................

14. Part of the storyline needs this chaos in order to proceed......Basically there is no real order, no real safety, no real future for that matter. There are only regional perceptions about what is right and wrong based completely on that particular groups ideals.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Damn straight.

Yeah, there's a lot to scratch your head about here, for me it was why is it just like a giant human?
    There is no human that size to take over so the only conclusion that can be is that the 'fungi' are tapping into dna or some such and morphing into larger adaptations of the human form, -which would take awhile so maybe the big boy has been growing for many years...

16. You could also infer the "collaborators" are pretty much anyone who is not following Kathleens orders and ideals, or the ways of FEDRA.
    Based on the small picture painted it sounds like the "collaborators" might be people who were once involved with a certain, more established group, who became disenfranchised with said group for some reason, and they went their seperate way as best they could.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  17. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Bloaters have thick skin that scales to act like body armor. Which is why it was so big and hard to kill.

Rob6899 likes this.
  18. Yeah, that big picture stuff I can let go in order to make for an interesting story.
    If a fungus infection is plausible, even if highly unlikely, it is good enough for me as the main premise.
    But when the main baddies were human before the fungus infected them then they should remain largely human in ability and vulnerability....maybe faster, stronger, quicker healing, and single mindedly focused on harm...but still human at the core.

This means I can shoot them, burn them, explode them, freeze them, trap them, outsmart/trick them, and damage them in ways that would also damage a human....even if they are tougher by a wide margin.

Up until the Bloater I think the show has done a pretty good job sticking to human core realities, even to the point of the infected hurting themself in the process of their 100% focused attacks.

19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So you're saying it started out regular human size and can now puff up to super size via exterior armor/skin?

IDK it seemed a LOT bigger than a normal sized human.
    My take on this is that the creature is mostly bio organic material that for the most part is expendable and regenerative -that with some kind of armor like exterior would make it fairly resilient -which would be the idea behind an organism struggling for dominance in the food chain.
    I guess...

20. lazydawg58

One of my wife's cousins, a really nice man now pass away from cancer was shot on 3 different occasions, a total of 7 times. Once by a female bootlegger (2 bullet wounds), once by a guy he got in a fight with (2 bullet wounds), and once by his bother (3 bullet wounds) and he never hit the ground. He did, unlike the Bloater, decide to retreat. It is amazing sometimes what the human and fungi body can withstand.

timind likes this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

As opposed to the rigidly science-based zombie stories that came before?

22. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I would think it goes without saying.

What happened to the good ol' days when zombies were created by Haitian voodoo priests?

Dirty Bertie, Shawn and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We certainly have seen, don’t become to close to a character on this show except Joel and Abby.

It’s interesting that Kathleen after all the work of besting FEDRA and finally taking control of the city makes such a tactical error in the hunt for Henry (and Joel and Abby) though she never actually met them.

24. Smith

Smith I'm cyanide over you.

God I wish it were Abby.

You mean Ellie.

FourFingerWilly4 and ubiknik like this.
  25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yes Ellie, I’m terrible with names.

timind likes this.