The last TV shows(s) you watched...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by progrocker71, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
    Last night I saw an episode of Burns and Allen and wondered who the cute girl was (late 20s I now see, 27); I knew I had seen her; it was this actress, Ruta Lee. She starred in the awful movie Hootennany Hoot (which had a few good songs, but...). And I looked her up on IMDB and saw I'd see her in more shows then I remembered at the time - Andy Griffith, etc.
    I have only season 1 of Gomer Pyle. The one where Ruta Lee is in it was okay I guess,
    but this one, with special guest star Ellen Corby (later famous as Grandma Walton)
    this one was very good - The Case Of The Marine Bandit.
    "Gomer Pyle: USMC" The Case of the Marine Bandit (TV Episode 1964) - IMDb

I don't care what critics think.

2. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

The New Detectives and The Monkees

Currently watching The Pioneer Woman on Food Network.

3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Shrill, starring SNL's Aidy Bryant, on Hulu.
    Only 6 episodes (my attention span is really SQUIRREL!), this smartly written dramedy features an SNLer who shows up occasionally on other shows, and in movies, and usually shines. It bares a small resemblance to Girls, in that it features an actor who is not the ideal body type for Hollywood, but who also isn't afraid to show skin. It's not so much feminist as it is..bodyist? I know, not a word.
    Anyway I enjoyed it, and it also features a very snarky (ok-mean) John Cameron Mitchell as Aidy's boss, so there's that. A very nice, very non network-like show.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I also just finished Catastrophe's fourth and final season, now on Prime, and they wrapped it up beautifully. I've written about this show earlier in the thread, and it's such a refreshing change from the usual relationship sitcoms. The two leads, Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan, write all of the episodes, and their prickly chemistry (which apparently was something they really had to work on) makes for some hilarious and cringey dialogue. They also addressed the death of Carrie Fischer, who played Rob's mom on the show, in a touching way. In fact the series finale as a whole was pretty emotional. As I said previously this is a must watch show.

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Ireland's Wild Coast (2017) documentary

jlocke08 likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Walking Dead...

7. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I'm halfway through Season 7.

jlocke08 likes this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Started watching Cleaning Up. Sheridan Smith (Cilla Black, Ronnie Bigg's wife) plays a gambling addicted cleaner who starts bugging her stockbroker employer's office and begins insider trading. It's a mixture of gritty reality and unbelievable fantasy. Lots of Northern Soul on the soundtrack.

9. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Speechless

jlocke08 likes this.
  10. Michael

The Walking Dead..how many more seasons? I'd say it's OVER!

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Dice - Season One

jlocke08 likes this.
  12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The Sopranos - Pine Barrens.

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Friday Night Lights. The show's being broadcast mon.-fri. and I've set my DVR. Currently in the 1st season, I seriously couldn't tell you how many times I've seen this remarkable series. Unique and compelling. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!!!;)

14. Django

Django Forum Resident

I recorded loads of episodes of land of the giants & the invaders, from the horror channel. I'm working my way through them slowly. I remember watching reruns of LOTG as a kid in the 80s. There was a lot of old 60s & 70s TV shows repeated in the 80's. I grew up watching a lot of stuff that was made before I was born. Most of the cartoons shown were old as well. But they were new to me. It probably explains my fascination with all things 60s & 70s. I must say LOTG looks great for a TV show made 50 years ago. The invaders is okay. The acting is a bit stagey & wooden & there's lots of clunky dialogue, but it's got that cosy feel.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Trust Me (season 1). Jodie Whitaker (Doctor Who, Broadchurch) plays a nurse put on suspension for whistleblowing who takes the identity of a doctor and moves with her daughter to Edinburgh. The whole thing is setup in the first fifteen minutes, including all the things that could (and do) go wrong. Unlike most British drama series this moves at a breakneck pace and is over in four episodes. Whitaker makes the unbelievable believable so top marks to her.

16. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Finished the last season of The Man In The High Castle tonight. No drop off in quality from the previous 2 seasons, acting, suspense, and direction wise. I see very conflicted bad guys.

17. Michael

WALKING DEAD

18. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Science Channel's Unearthed

19. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Dollhouse. Season 1. Starring Eliza Dushku.

20. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Just finished The First with Sean Penn on Amazon. Brooding. I described it as an Ingmarr Bergmann film with a trip to Mars as the backdrop. Eventually the relationships are worth hanging out for the whole series. Not sure if they will do a second season. I can't see it finding a North American audience. Sean is very good at emotinal acting in this series.

21. Michael

The Walking Dead...

22. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

Great episode. Though, most of them are. Pine Barrens is one of a handful that is a perfect self contained story. Where one need not have any familiarity with The Sopranos to really enjoy it.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  23. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

The OA season 2 on netflix. Very cool interdimensional travel drama.

24. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I watched the first season last year. A very unique series, and one that I kept flip flopping between thinking it was brilliant and absurd. I'll probably give season 2 a try at some point.

25. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Season 2 is really different and faster paced...worth a watch no doubt.

Hawkeye likes this.