The Late, Late, Late Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ando here, Feb 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of my favorite shows...saw many, many, many movies that I still love till this day.

ando here likes this.
  2. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

Guess they gave producers more creative leeway after a certain hour in the night/morning.

[​IMG]

There were a whole lot o' clunkers during the early morning hours, too!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

but there was always something good on as well...it was choice.

ando here likes this.
  4. ando here

It's still my favorite Kurosawa joint:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Throne of Blood (1957, Akira Kurosawa)

the film (Internet Archive)

5. ando here

[​IMG]
    Shame (1968, Ingmar Bergman)

It's my favorite from the director. Not his "best" in terms of form or content, but the one I keep returning to most.

"Liv Ullmann and Max von Sydow play Eva and Jan, a politically uninvolved couple and former violinists whose home comes under threat by civil war. They are accused by one side of sympathy for the enemy, and their relationship deteriorates while the couple flees. The story explores themes of shame, moral decline, self-loathing and violence." - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  6. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I was travelling on business last October and found myself in Northern Ireland. I noted that at any given time there seemed to be not one, but two channels showing old school westerns whenever I clicked on the TV. I miss the days when I was a kid and could watch something like the Great Escape or a Godzilla movie on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

ando here likes this.
  7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Directed by John Brahm
    Screenplay by Barre Lyndon, from the novel by Patrick Hamilton
    Photographed by Joseph LaShelle
    Music by Bernard Herrmann

In Edwardian London a classical composer goes a little funny in the head and starts killing people.

You can pretty much ignore all that stuff. In the original novel by Hamilton (Rope) the protagonist is a used car salesman who gets involved with group of heavy drinkers in pre-war London. The film's plot was almost totally changed, to more closely resemble the previous year's success The Lodger, with the same star and director.

So director Brahm and cinematographer LaShelle give the film the same Germanic horror ambiance as The Lodger, and that's why it's of interest today. Two brilliant sequences stand out, both involving fire: the climax (for which Herrmann wrote an original concerto) as Cregar plays while the concert hall burns around him, and the bonfire scene where Cregar must dispose of a corpse amidst Guy Fawkes Day celebrations. The imagery inescapably reminds us of Nazi book burnings.

A sad footnote: Star Laird Cregar, desperate to be considered a matinee idol, went on a crash diet to slim down to conventional leading man proportions. The resulting strain on his heart led to his death in late 1944 at age 31, two months before Hangover Square opened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ando here likes this.
  8. ando here

Thanks. George Sanders is the draw for me though he didn't think much of what he did outside of All About Eve was worth watching.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  9. ando here

Here's another version of it without the burned in captions (but w/optional English/Portugese caps):

10. ando here

Just came across this. First viewing tonight.

[​IMG]
    The Gunfighter (1950, Henry King)

From what I gather, gunfighter, Gregory Peck comes into town looking for his woman, which will be more trouble than he anticipated. Karl Marlden stars as well.

11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Directed by Irving Lerner
    Written by Ben Simcoe and (uncredited) Ben Maddow
    Photographed by Lucien Ballard
    Music by Perry Botkin

A detached, unemotionally cool hit man is just a bit unnerved when he learns that the eyewitness he has to kill is a woman.

Just as much as Detour, Murder By Contract is a second feature masterpiece. Shot in seven days on a shoestring budget, MbC has an overriding sense of spare style, from the camerawork of Lucien Ballard (The Killing and several Peckinpah films) to Perry Botkin's electric guitar score (some of which would later turn up on The Beverly Hillbillies). Director Lerner was a veteran of documentaries, low budget B's and all sorts of other jobs. He would later direct for TV, produce spaghetti westerns, work as an assistant director and help edit New York, New York. Speaking of Martin Scorsese, he supposedly said MbC was the film that most influenced his own style as a director.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scorsese on MbC:

Martin Scorsese on Murder by Contract (1958)

NickySee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.