"The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" thread.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I agree. The show went by too fast.

Mr. H and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Why didn't Steve show up?

3. They said he was making a movie.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Makes sense as in why he couldn't come.

5. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Good monologue last night. LOL at "rehydrated Kelly Ann Conway".

6. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I was so hoping for an Even Stevphen.

8. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

Good monologue tonight (Thursday) - but I can't say why due to forum rules.

9. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Arcade Fire was on tonight. I'm not a fan but watched them perform Everything Now. Reminded me of a disco song but its name escapes me. Had the lyrics Touch Me Baby in it and was a big hit. Anyone know?

MikaelaArsenault and seaisletim like this.
  10. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It sounded like "If I Can't Have You" by Yvonne Elliman (written by the brothers Gibb)

Electric and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Kinda sounds like this. :laugh:

Electric likes this.
  12. Electric

Funny! Both the Elliman and KC tracks are interchangeable in my mind, so could easily be those as well. No love of Disco here. The song I was thinking of had the lyrics C'mon and touch me me baby, or C'mon now touch me baby.

Here's the video (skip along past the fake infomercial, about a minute and a half to where it gets going.)
    Watch Arcade Fire Play “Everything Now” and “Creature Comfort” on “Colbert” | Pitchfork

See the hilarious fax listing Arcade Fire's demands for performing.

13. Electric

Found it. It's Rock Your Baby:

14. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Greetings!

Please remember to keep ALL conversations civil and in accordance with the forum rules.

Should you need a refresher you can review them HERE

Also, should you have any issues with a post, please use the report function (rather than replying) and the staff will handle it.

Remember: We're watching...

[​IMG]

Thanks!

15. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Anyone catch Kevin Smith last night? His story regarding his heart attack was amazingly funny and personal.

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Glad I stuck with this show, even if it was rocky for a while.

I don't watch the interviews, but the monologues and skits are a great way to wind down at night. I guess it helps that the subject matter is, uhhh, fertile.

Batiste is a fine musician with a fine band (though the theme music is kinda weak). He's a horrible sidekick (probably network insistence on formula), but that's easily solved: Colbert doesn't need a sidekick at all.

And why did I stick with the show in the first place? Because Colbert had the stones to book Babymetal. :bone:

forthlin likes this.
  17. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Wonder if he's ever considered that in 3 or 7 years his subject matter will be gone. Then what?

18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I dunno. Maybe he goes away. Maybe 3-7 yrs gives him time to develop alternative commentary/entertainment.

No doubt he's enjoying a perfect storm: rich resource material, smart responses, receptive audience.

And oh yeah, Youtube replays.

Late night talk shows aren't precious. A long career doing one isn't very likely going forward. The genre is almost an anachronism. If you can draw attention for a few years, that's a win.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I find the monologue to be the best part of the broadcast. The comedy is awkward at best. The sketch that opens each show is often creepy and the standing bits are so nerdy and lame. There is nothing funny about midnight confessions or when he talks to god.

The interviews are not good. He has a hard time relating to people and it just comes off like he’s talking down to people. He’s comes off as being above pop culture unless it’s lord of the rings or sci-fi. This is a real problem when most of his guests are actors promoting movies. The musical guest are often enjoyable.

I think overall Fallon puts on the better show. Better band, better comedy, better interviews and just more fun. I do get annoyed at how he laughs at all of his own jokes, it’s a bit of a fake put on. But... I prefer the monologue on the late show and whatch much more of that.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

A focus on political humor seems to be what got people to take a second look at his show (at the beginning of 2017, when his ratings started to climb). But I doubt that's the only reason people are watching at this point. His viewers must like something about him aside from the fact that he makes political jokes.

Besides which, it's not like politics and partisanship are going to suddenly disappear when the current President leaves office.

O Don Piano, Dan C and Jack_Straw like this.
  21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I watch his monologue every night. Rarely stay for the interviews afterwards. I know I'm going to hear political jokes about who-know-who, and that's all I'm looking for. Frankly, when things change, I am not sure how much I'll still like the show. As much as I like Colbert, I'm not sure this is really his forte. I remember when we first took over for Letterman, and it didn't quite get. But it turned into the right place at the right time for him.

22. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

He seemed to do ok before The Late Show. I think he'll be fine.

gd0, rogertheshrubber and jupiter8 like this.
  23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Looking at the ratings here, Colbert is winning the second half-hour as well as the first, which suggests he must have some appeal beyond his monologue. On the flipside, the tuneout rate for his second half-hour is larger than Kimmel's or Fallon's, which could possibly indicate his viewers watch more for the monologue than Fallon's or Kimmel's do. Of course, it could also partly be a function of the fact that his viewers are older, and probably don't stay up as late.

At any rate, I don't think the market for political humor will necessarily fade when the current President leaves office.

Dan C and mmars982 like this.
  24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The problem with Colbert's interviews is that he is more interesting and entertaining than most of his guests. I FF through most of the show after the monologue and the first bit he does from his desk. That's just my opinion of course but it could account for the tuneout of the second half-hour.

With respect to what happens a few years down the road, I don't know that he'll want to continue with the hour-long talk show format. I could see him seeking another outlet (theater?) for his talent.

25. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'm so glad that I've weaned myself from late night shows. I used to just tune in late for some music but don't even do that anymore. The monologues became so mean spirited and downright hateful politically that it was too much of a bring down. My wife has taken a fancy to Cash Cab for a late night wind down. Now there's a guy,Ben Bailey, who is funny, just plain funny, no social or political axes a-grinding or over the top sexual innuendo. Different format obviously but fun.

rburly and goat65cars like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.