The lead singer wasn't the best singer in the band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jake362, Apr 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

Carl Wilson over Mike Love
    Al Jardine over Mike Love
    Dennis Wilson (until the mid-seventies) over Mike Love

2. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

How Does It Feel from the Isolation album
    "I Won't Hold You Back" and "Afraid Of Love" both from Toto IV
    "Anna" and "These Chains" both on The Seventh One
    .....Got to go to bed to go to work early in the morning so I'll include the whole Kingdom Of Desire album where he sang lead on the entire album and showed himself as a fine ROCK vocalist.
    He has a really wonderful tone.

Lee Davis and carlwm like this.
  3. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo Thread Starter

Carl Wilson has a voice like honey

4. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Thanks. I'll check those out. Not caring for the radio hits on IV, I never bothered to listen to the rest of the album.... or any that came after.

Rockerbox likes this.
  5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

He was pretty over the top with Cocaine live, but in the studio I far preferred him to Coverdale.

6. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Hughes in the Purple years would ruin songs live. Burn is a classic, but his squeals on some live versions were as bad as it gets.

7. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Ringo dumbed down his vocals so John, Paul and George could keep their jobs.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I don't see that. Michael Anthony was a damn good background/harmony singer, and did fine with the occasional lead vocal live, but I don't think he had enough attitude and swagger in his vocals to be a true lead singer in a band like VH.

NDV probably has a more naturally gifted voice than Neal, but Neal is in his prime was an outstanding singer (and still is, to a pretty good extent). Neal is one of those singers that brings such emotion and character to his singing that you connect with it or you do not.

Waspinators and peskypesky like this.
  9. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

Polci had a voice like a crystal bell.
    Also note that Don Ciccone had an important vocal part on that record – "I felt a rush like a rolling ball of thunder" was him. "Silver Star" featured Polci as the sole lead and while not big here, was a smash in the U.K. "Down the Hall" was also solely Polci and did well in the U.K.

"The next album, Helicon, saw Polci and Ciccone heavily featured as lead vocalists. Valli, besides his co-lead chorus vocal on "Rhapsody" and some backing vocals, only taking a brief bridge lead vocal on two songs that were sung mainly by Polci." - Wikipedia

I guess my point is that in that edition of the Four Seasons, Gerry Polci was as much the lead singer of the group as Valli and factually more so.

10. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Jack Bruce over Eric Clapton in Cream

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The Go-Go's. I would say that Kathy Valentine, Jane Wiedlin and Belinda Carlisle are all about as good as each other.

12. WarEagleRK

Bruce was the primary lead singer in Cream.

13. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Gene Clark over Roger McGuinn.
    Brian Wilson (and other Wilson brothers) over Mike Love.

I also prefer Noel Gallagher's singing voice to Liam's.

14. WarEagleRK

I have to think someone in Cinderella sings better than Tom Keifer.

:D

Lee Davis likes this.
  15. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Ray White was easily the best singer in any of Zappa’s bands for the last ten years.

16. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

You could maybe say that Lovin' Spoonful drummer Joe Butler had a "better" voice than John Sebastian if you speak in conventional terms, and I always liked the tunes on the Spoonful albums that featured his lead vocals.

But Sebastian's vocals had character, and he could sing "pretty" too. So no real need to have a competition between them. I glad they both got to be heard.

bumbletort likes this.
  17. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Anybody in the Red Hot Chili Peppers has to be able to sing better than their singer.

18. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Disagree 100%. McVie has a lovely voice. So do a little of people. Nicks’ voice is unforgettable.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Better than the lead singer:

Helen Terry in Culture Club.

Annie Lennox in the Tourists.

John Cale in the Velvet Underground.

Max Florian likes this.
  20. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

There's a ton of clear, sweet voices in the music world, not to dismiss Christine McVie. She was a huge part of FM. But Stevie could never be replaced. I love singer/songwriters with unique voices. I like this post written about her on another site a few years ago: "She sounds unique. Her voice is wary and roadworn. It's shows vulnerability that most can relate to. There's pain there that is not forced on you, you just hear it in there. Mainly it's that she always sounds like her and you can relate to the songs and the singer because it "feels true" for lack of a better way of putting it."

21. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

easily

22. WarEagleRK

Doug Yule in the Velvet Underground.

extravaganza, geo50000 and Patanoia like this.
  23. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

There WAS a lead singer in Fleetwood Mac. His name was Dave Walker. Christine McVie was a better singer, as per the thread topic. I'd even say Bob Welch was better too.

Walker didn't stay long.

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Steve Priest>Brian Connolly

souldeep69 likes this.
  25. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I think this gets over-stated by the anti-Diana crowd. (Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Diana Ross either, but I do like her voice.)

Recently, I heard that love theme from 'Mahogany' song (#1 US in 1975) and it was a revelation as to how good Diana's vocals could be. I think on the "bright groovy pop" sound of mid-60s' Motown tracks, Diana's voice was better than Flo's.

Cachiva, zebop and peskypesky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.