The Led Zeppelin Live Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rockin' Robby, Oct 30, 2023.

1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I have no idea what exists in private collector’s hands.I really enjoy some of these Showco soundboards.We would all prefer multitracks but On a neutral system some of these dry thin soundboards do sound really good.There are dynamics,Bonham’s bass drum and Page’s highest notes.Some may like the audience tapes over these boards.I really hope at least a few more key shows see the light of day.They more than likely exist.
    I guess we are indeed spoiled by the abundance of Zeppelin audio and recently visuals.
    After all these years I still enjoy live Zeppelin seemingly even more than ever.
    Landover MD,5/25/77 Out On The Tiles/Moby Dick,excellent John Bonham solo!:hide:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    keef285, Gezza, Anthrax and 2 others like this.
  2. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

That is an incredible version, it's my favorite part of the original album and a performance I've listened to many times. I was so disappointed when a different version was used on the expanded re-release.

Regardless of whether or not it's an incredible run, I'd still love to have a box set with those three MSG performances, complete and properly mixed from the original multitracks.

limoges, Gezza, jay.dee and 5 others like this.
  3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I recon there's a copy of every soundboard recorded during the 1975 and 1977 tours in the hands of people outside the band. A lot have come out and the rest is sitting in a box somewhere either waiting for someone to pay the asking price or for the owner to decided when to sell.

Once everyone is willing to play ball, we'll get to hear them.

4. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Yeah, I've been (not so) patiently waiting for the final two 1975 L.A. soundboards to come out.

Rockin' Robby and steveharris like this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

We finally got a soundboard with the Wanton Song and When the Levee Breaks and the damn Wanton Song was cut. Baby steps...

6. mtracy64

mtracy64 Beckologist

The two things I want most, and have always wanted most, are Led Zeppelin shows from Scandinavia in 1968 and Yardbirds shows with Beck and Page both on lead. However, it is great that folks are digging hard to find lower generation tapes along with the occasional previously unknown show.

7. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I want a really good a sounding tape from 1970, like September 1970. I'd pay $1,000 for multi-tracks of MSG 9/19. Terrible day for rock music, great night for Led Zeppelin fans in attendance.

8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Absolutely, this would be incredible. In fact, I thought this was a huge, missed opportunity when the Super Deluxe box was released a few years ago. It was a GREAT opportunity to continue Jimmy's idea of an "alternate album" or "Portal in time" (or whatever Jimmy called it.) Not only did we not get alternate MSG 73' performances, we got the version of the main album with the awful edits that matched the film:realmad::thumbsdow

9. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Bonzo's Birthday Party - Live at The Forum, Inglewood, Los Angeles, California, USA. 31st May 1973 [Moonchild] - Soundboard + Audience

[​IMG]

What a terrific show! I have a feeling that this one has never been praised highly enough.

10. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Bonzo's Birthday Party was in the first package of tapes anyone ever mailed me. That and Frankfurt '80. Audience of course because the SB came out a bit later. Fun times.

Rockin' Robby and jay.dee like this.
  11. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I'm sure I'm missing something but why was that a terrible day for rock music?

12. CenturyKnocker

CenturyKnocker Forum Resident

Hendrix died previous day. Plant mentions it from the stage.

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Jimi Hendrix’s death

14. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Thanks folks, I don't want to type it out.

15. Oriolesfan

Oriolesfan Forum Resident

For a band as big as Zeppelin the 80 tour seems to get overlooked. Is there a general consensus which show was best and/or the best bootleg available?

16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Zurich is probably the best and most consistent from my distant memories. Its been played on Westwood One. Frankfurt is good too. Man I used to play those tapes all the time. It's been years now.

jay.dee, JeffMo, steveharris and 2 others like this.
  17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I personally consider Frankfurt 6/30/80 the best at the performance level. Zurich 6/29/80 Soundboard is probably the most popular.

jay.dee, Rockin' Robby and ODShowtime like this.
  18. Oriolesfan

Thanks

19. Oriolesfan

Thanks

ODShowtime likes this.
  20. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Pontiac 1977

JeffMo likes this.
  21. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

Really enjoying this thread.

I picked up a show based upon this youtube video of the Bath Festival.

This is obviously not from the well known Zep live channel that I usually rely on for sound quality samples. I like to preview a show before I buy a physical product.

So, I bought this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But when I put it on, it turned out the audio wasn’t what I expected. It is a good aud recording of a killer set list. It doesn’t sound quite as good as Texas Pop from 69, but it is no where near the quality of the video.

Turns out the video is from the Royal Albert Hall show. Jimmy’s Birthday Bash. I should have read the comments. Oh well. It’s not a horrible show. Bring it on home is amazing. I’m gonna check the second disc out tomorrow. Pagey’s outfit is classic!

[​IMG]

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Cool looking cd though - and great setlist!

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Tonight I’m playing Osaka 1971 and it’s hitting hard! :righton:

steveharris, keef285, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  24. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

Enjoy! A Japan 71 box would be enormous. Probably will never see it.

25. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

With a complete WLL medley!

steveharris, keef285, jay.dee and 2 others like this.