The Left Banke 2018 reunion with singer Steve Martin Caro

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by melstapler, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist Thread Starter

Recent photos from Winter 2018 display lead singer Steve Martin Caro rehearsing with George Cameron and Sam Kogon for a reunion of The Left Banke. With any luck, hopefully they will launch a world tour and enter the studio to record new material. The reunited version of The Zombies with original members Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent have maintained a rigorous touring schedule while releasing numerous quality albums of either new studio material or recent live recordings and I truly hope The Left Banke can duplicate that success with well-deserved recognition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Exciting! Love their music, bring on new material:goodie:

3. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Interesting. I saw a version of The Left Banke with Tom Finn open for The Zombies in 2012. They had a singer who nailed the parts but of Steve Martin Caro is in good voice this reunion could really be amazing. The reformed Zombies are one of the best acts on the road these days

4. melstapler

Definitely. Vocally, Steve Martin Caro sounded excellent on the unreleased studio recordings which were leaked from some sessions they did several years ago in Florida. I was able to hear some of those songs which were given to me by a fellow fan through tape trading. Those sessions were done with the late Michael Brown and it's a shame the project wasn't finished. George Cameron had noted a few years ago that the original plan for a Left Banke reunion was to include himself along with Michael Brown and Steve Martin Caro. Health issues prevented this from happening and sadly, Michael Brown left us far too early.

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Shame they couldn’t involve Tom Finn and/or Tom Feher but I think there’re…complications.

6. pablo fanques

There is a YouTube video of Michael Brown being brought onstage from the audience at one of the 2012 shows (not the one I saw at Highline Ballroom). He literally walks onstage, sits down at the piano and pounds out ‘Pretty Balerina’. Breathtaking

7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Wow, looks like it’s actually happening!

It had been 3 years since that ‘contract signing’ photo and I assumed it had blown over...

8. melstapler

As many of you may have noticed, these rehearsals took place at the historic Gram Parsons Derry Down. I find it interesting that Steve Martin Caro and George Cameron have been friends for over 50 years.

According to their post on Facebook:

"It was Steve's first time behind the microphone in over 15 years. We went through and workshopped much of the LB catalog."

I wonder if they will include any songs from the 3rd Left Banke album, "Strangers On A Train" aka "Voices Calling?"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Forum Resident

This is truly great news. I'm a longtime fan of the Left Banke. I regret that I didn't have the chance to attend any of their reunion gigs a couple of years ago. Well, I do live in Germany but I would have loved to cross the atlantic... Anyway, is there a website to find the tour dates when they decide to tour again?

10. melstapler

Same here. I didn't attend any of the concerts from the previous lineups because I was waiting until Steve Martin Caro would be back with the band. After all, most people wouldn't attend a concert of The Zombies if singer Colin Blunstone weren't there.

Here is their news page on Facebook:

The Left Banke

Hep Alien and Christopher B like this.
  11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Terrific news. I thoroughly enjoyed the Left Banke's set opening for the Zombies a few years ago, notwithstanding the absence of Steve. The analogy to a Blunstone-less Zombies is perfect. Please keep us up to date on this. I would travel far to see these guys perform.

pablo fanques and melstapler like this.
  12. darryl hollingsworth

darryl hollingsworth Well-Known Member

They could always ask Steven Tyler to come back too

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Any more recent news? It would be a significant miracle if Steve still retained the voice he had 53 years ago. There was nothing quite like it, though musical chameleon Mike Fornatale gave it a good try for the earlier reunion shows.

ETA: Just looked on the Wikipedia page. I was unaware that George Cameron had died. :cry:

Has Tim Finn had any further involvement with any of this, or is it all well and truly over?

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  14. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

IIRC at least Tom Finn wrote respectfully of George when the LB page announced his passing.

Tom Feher also has since died.

15. pablo fanques

Sad

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  16. melstapler

Here's a video clip of Steve Martin Caro rehearsing at the Gram Parsons Derry Down in Florida with George Cameron. Sadly, this would be the last time Steve sang with George.

somnar, Hep Alien and pablo fanques like this.
  17. texas.bluebonnets

texas.bluebonnets Active Member

I recently heard that Steve Martin Caro passed away. And i am a late comer too this fanship. Can anyone just share info about him? I know he moved from new York to Florida. But can anyone share with me anything about him. His voice is haunting.

melstapler likes this.
  18. melstapler

I believe SMC was residing in the Clearwater area and had also been caring for a loved one in recent years. He succumbed to heart disease back in January of this year. To think about what could've been is frustrating, because I truly believe SMC and George would've experienced a major comeback if they had reformed as The Left Bank 10 years ago.

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.