"The Leftovers" (HBO series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i love this show because they tease us with everything we'd expect to be teased with only to ultimately remind us that people deal with difficult subjects in very different ways.

this ain't a show about supernatural happenings, folks.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, but no.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You assume correctly.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and that is probably a really good move on your part.

'twin peaks' makes 'the leftovers' like a dr. suess book. talk about a convoluted mess....whew!

GodShifter likes this.
  5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Like when Kevin had to submit to the second level of identification. :whistle:
    Or when Patty tried to repair her broken glasses.

What if Kevin had picked Laurie as Secretary of Defense? I don't think that her plan would be to blow up the world.
    Evie was singing "Love Will Keep Us Together"

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    lschwart likes this.
  6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Patty sang "because their Kevins, identical Kevins" :laugh:

Entertainment Weekly saved me the trouble of watching the memory flash sequence frame by frame:

rufus t firefly likes this.
  7. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Yes, but Twin Peaks is supposed to be a convoluted mess:)

GentleSenator likes this.
  8. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think this series falls into the art film or TV classification the same as most David Lynch films or series. It's their vision, we're just witnesses to it. I don't think they care if anyone gets it. I admire HBO for sticking with it for three seasons.

JimW, agentalbert and GentleSenator like this.
  9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

A show written by Lindelof will end with unanswered questions? Who saw that coming?

marblesmike and GodShifter like this.
  10. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

The first two seasons, while leaving big questions unanswered, were much more linear than this one. They told a bit more of a cohesive story. I have no idea what might happen to end this. But I get the feeling many of us will not be satisfied.

EDIT: I'm actuality quite satisfied in that I don't have to watch the final season of Dexter again.

How's that for grasping at straws?

Scotian likes this.
  11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

david lynch probably did.

Scotian likes this.
  12. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

I am part way through the third episode of season 1 and am finding it very uncompelling. Not a single character I find very interesting, most are unlikeable to me. Does this get any better or is it best to cut my losses here?

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I felt the same when it started.
    Like many HBO series it takes a while to get rolling.
    It gets better IMO

GodShifter likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

First two seasons are quite good. Stick with it. The third season is one of the biggest turds on record for me. Just awful.

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I say, 'Give up.."..
    a lot of the characters here are quite, well...... let's say, I don't think ANYONE'S a hero here......

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

did anyone ever try to market the show as such? why does there need to be a hero?

agentalbert likes this.
  17. vince

Well.... I'm thinking the whole point, I assume, was for the audience to feel SOMETHING for one of these characters..
    we've got one day 'till the end...and, like Laurie said to John, "Might as well see this thing to the end."

18. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i absolutely feel something for them. the entire plot and story is a pretty big bummer. i watch and constantly wonder "is this how me or my loved ones would cope with something this insane?"

19. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I don't know how anyone could watch this for three seasons and not feel anything for Kevin and Nora. These are great characters.

JimW, Lonson, agentalbert and 4 others like this.
  20. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I did feel for them. At least I think I did. I know I want to. But they may have lost me this season. I'm still invested enough to see it through. But I don't know what I'm hoping for. Will it be end times? Will things go on as if there was no Departure at all? Will Kevin die? Nora? Is there anything else on? Did I leave the hose on in my garden? What is there to eat?

Questions need to be answered.

21. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

We'll except for minor questions about a few key elements of the plot (the one concerning the love story, in particular), not much--as I expected--got answered tonight.

But, as I also expected, the series ended with that same sort of affirmation of love that came at the end of each of the first two seasons. Disappointing from a philosophical perspective (I don't disagree, but I also don't find the idea all that interesting given all the feverish intensity we've been witness to), but not unentertaining. As usual, it was worth it just to watch the shifting expressions in Carrie Coon's eyes.

L.

22. vince

Tour de force for her.....BUT...
    You'd THINK she woulda called the press, and say, "Hey! All the departed are alive and doing well."

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  23. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I suppose. But I think the suggestion was that this is just the story she's finally decided to tell herself so be able to cope, and Kevin's decision to say he believes her is his acceptance of the fact that we all have to tell ourselves stories to cope with what's otherwise unbearable--something the show suggests we all ought to accept. Hers is a good story from the show's point of view because it ultimately affirms what is and opens to door to love of one kind or another, as opposed to giving into despair or metaphysical fantasies of escape.

L.

JimW, rufus t firefly and Paul Mazz like this.
  24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

A fine finale. I am ok with every minute that I invested in this series.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So I was kind of right with this theory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.