The Lester Bangs Appeciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind Thread Starter

The Heyday for music critics had to be the 1970s. Preeminent amongst them all was Lester Bangs, the drunken critc/poet who worked at Creem magazine for a time. His collected works, Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung: The Work of a Legendary Critic, by Greil Marcus, is a must read.

He was lovingly portrayed in the movie Almost Famous by the late, great Philip Seymour Hoffman.

"“The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.”

I hope I am not the only fan of his around here :)

[​IMG]

2. Christian Hill

3. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

linclink likes this.
  4. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

He helped me appreciate Astral Weeks the right way.

uzn007 likes this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    This is a must read. Not only does it give great, unblinkered by fan worship, insight into the man, but it almost doubles as a history of early CREEM magazine.
    I saw Lester around a lot back then, we haunted the same clubs (obviously) , but never interacted with him. My one enduring memory of him is from a New York Rocker Christmas party (1979) that took place in some squat on the lower, lower east side. I heard PIL's Metal Box blasting from one of the rooms, and there was Lester, doing some insane bat dance to the music. Everyone was just watching as he spun around with whatever girlfriend he was with at the time. I mean, how in the hell do you dance to a song like "Poptones"?:)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    garymc, Jimi Bat, ajsmith and 6 others like this.
  6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love Lester Bangs. Don't know what else to really say about it but you can count me in. I've read all three books mentioned in this thread.

edit: I thought of a thing to say. I may be the only one, but I didn't like Hoffman's portrayal of Bangs. Just seemed off to me.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    ajsmith likes this.
  7. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Reading back on a lot what he wrote...

He was never different just to be different. His opinions were sometimes uncool, but always honest and very well delivered.

In retrospect, he was basically spot on most of the time.

uzn007 and Christian Hill like this.
  8. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the two collections of his work. Haven’t read the bio, but will make it a priority to.

9. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

He published my first review in Creem. Sent me a nice note which I lost, unfortunately.

uzn007, Christian Hill and ajsmith like this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yep. Read Carburetor Dung 30 years ago, I’m sure. Loved it.

ajsmith likes this.
  11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

12. ralphb

During his tenure at CREEM, Bangs was the one who wrote most of those hysterical photo captions that were a highlight of the mag.

uzn007 and Christian Hill like this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I received Psychotic reactions and carburator dung as a Christmas gift

14. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I saw this play based about Lester Bangs in NYC last year (or was it 2017). Very well done. As a bonus, I just happened to be sitting next to Jim DeRogatis, the author of the bio on Lester (which I had already read). I recognized Jim strictly from his voice and it caused me to ask him if he was DeRogatis (he's a co-host on Sound Ideas radio show and podcast). He was very nice and we had a good chat before the show started.

Lester Bangs and the Soul of Rock Criticism

Christian Hill likes this.
  15. You are not alone. I have a first edition of the book in fine condition and I go back to it on a regular basis. Great stuff.

16. Christian Hill

nice link

17. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

His obituary of Elvis Presley is masterful: If love is truly going out of fashion, which I do not believe, then along with our nurtured indifference to each other will be an even more contemptuous indifference to each other’s objects of worship. I thought it was Iggy Stooge, you thought it was Joni Mitchell or whoever seemed to speak for your own private, entirely circumscribed situation’s many pains and few ecstasies. We will continue to fragment in this manner, because solipsism holds all the cards at present; it is a king whose domain engulfs even Elvis’s. But I can guarantee you one thing: we will never agree on anything as we agreed on Elvis. So I won’t bother saying goodbye to his corpse. I will say goodbye to you.

18. bc mike

bc mike Forum Resident

Try "A Box Full of Rocks." A documentary that covers Bangs' early years.
    Entertaining film and also a great soundtrack album.

19. ralphb

uzn007 likes this.
  20. Christian Hill

good stuff!

21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Love Psychotic Reactions as everyone's pointed out already. The Peter Laughner obit is great. His article about Kraftwerk is great, and prescient. The highlight of the book, for me, is the "Killing the Father" section about Lou Reed and Metal Machine Music (which he loved, natch). The article about going on tour with the Clash is great too. Also, actually, now that I think of it, the highlight of the book may be the "Maggie May" short story, a completely fictionalized account of the genesis of that song, which manages to be incredibly insightful and touching in writing about love, and then incredibly hilarious at the end (I won't spoil it). In any case, that book probably one of the top five essential books about rock music.

Over the last few years, I've been discovering more and more of his reviews on the Rolling Stone site. They're usually more serious and less outrageous than much of the writing in Psychotic Reactions, but like most of his writing, they're usually intelligent and perceptive (if not hilarious). For example: Led Zeppelin III – Rolling Stone

22. ralphb

That's one thing people forget about Lester, his perceptiveness and his empathy. If he didn't get something at first (Exile On Main Street) he did his damndest to at least try and understand it. A lot of that gets lost in all the "crazy Lester Bangs" stories. Bob Christgau once said that out of all the writers he edited, Bangs handed in work that was pretty much perfect.

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.