The Lighthouse new movie by Robert Eggers, director of The Witch*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by justanotherhifienthusiast, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

fantastic flick

palisantrancho likes this.
  2. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

could not stand it....

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

one of the worst movies i ever saw.

i wanted to do to the DVD what pattinson did to that bird.

i swear it 5 hours long, couldn't wait til it was over.

vegafleet and Ghostworld like this.
  4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I liked it, but not as much as The Witch or as much as I thought I would. It was odd with the B&W & the aspect ratio combined with a really aggressive surround soundtrack. The sound was almost a character of its own. I was playing with the volume the whole time watching it. Like The Witch, subtitles are essential.

EVOLVIST, GentleSenator and RexKramer like this.
  5. I enjoyed it. It was like watching him channel David Lynch.

Whoopycat and palisantrancho like this.
  6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

beautiful cinematography, great acting, the sea! a lighthouse! mermaids! tentacles! the best movie of 2019.

palisantrancho likes this.
  7. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Dafoe's speech cursing his partner was one of my fav movie theater moments in all of 2019, so intense!

8. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I watched this in the theatre and just watched it again last night after buying the dvd. I think it's a masterpiece. The look of the film is extraordinary. You don't see films like this very often. I thought it had elements of Kubrick and Lynch. It has some Shining type moments and the acting is about as good as it gets. I love early 1900 black and white films and this did such an amazing job with making this film look and feel like that era. In my opinion, This should have won best cinematography and both actors should have been nominated. I understand that it is a bit too artsy and bizarre to get any Oscar recognition. I'm not surprised that some people hated it, but this type of movie is right up my alley. One of my favorite movies in a long time.

When I came out of the mall theater after watching it, the reactions were some of the best I have ever seen or heard of people exiting a movie. Lots of rolled eyes and WTF was that? Ha ha. That made me smile.

Denim Chicken and MattG like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Pattinson's line at the end is what makes it work, though! :D

10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

This was a big waste of time. Saw it tonight

rjp, Ghostworld, Borgia and 1 other person like this.
  11. palisantrancho

This I don't understand. You may not have liked it, but you really think this was a waste of time? A beautifully shot movie with great acting. I am so happy that films like this are getting attention. It's definitely the type of movie that you either love or hate. It may not be everybody's cup of kerosene, but I'd say this is one of the best films of the decade. Do you like old silent films? Do you hate movies by David Lynch? I'm just curious. This movie definitely appeals to a certain type of person. I have seen it twice and was mesmerized by it both times. A lot of love went into this movie. I hardly find anything a waste of time. It takes time to experience things you may not like or you may love.

12. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I think this movie is a masterpiece - cinematography, acting, the crazyness. This movie is probably more suitable to people who also like theater.

Denim Chicken and palisantrancho like this.
  13. jojopuppyfish

Mulholland Drive is one of the best movies of the first decade.
    Just because you think a movie was great doesn't mean I have to like it or I don't get it.
    I have no problem with B & W BTW, but I prefer it with more grain.
    The ending sucked. And it was really boring.
    All you have to do is read this thread to see that others feel the same as I do.

And go on Netflix and read their reviews.....most people agree with me.

14. palisantrancho

I always judge a movie by the Netflix reviews. I guess I was wrong. Most people who have Netflix have excellent taste in movies.

I also love the 3 word in depth reviews. Waste of time says so much about the film.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Excellent!

wish i'd seen it at the theatre!

Denim Chicken and palisantrancho like this.
  16. jojopuppyfish

Sort IMBD by latest reviews and they are mostly terrible reviews of this film.
    Then again, maybe the whole point is that only you can understand the film and no one else

17. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I saw it down at the tiny Cinema Detroit.
    The itty-bitty theater combined with the narrow aspect ratio of the film enhanced the claustrophobic feeling of being cooped up in the lighthouse during the storm.
    It made me feel like I was there in the lighthouse.

Terrific film and one of my favorite performances by Willem DaFoe.

18. palisantrancho

Yeah. Nobody else on here is saying they loved it.

It is still holding a 7.7 score on IMDB after 76,000 votes, and a 90 percent on rotten tomatoes.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  19. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

This movie is an incredible experience. First time we watched it we waited till 1 am and shut off all our lights. Seriously what an experience! The look and the sounds of the film is incredible. And what amazing dialog. It really takes you into another world. Seen it two more time since and gets better each time.

EVOLVIST, Scope J and palisantrancho like this.
  20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Thought it was great. Not easy, but what the hell.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  21. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

One the my favorite things is the creepy way they moved

Particularly when he is running away from the screaming mermaid across those rocks. It was like a dream where your running but can't seem to get away fast enough. Also when the Thomas appeared out of nowhere with the axe to destroy the boat. Love the creepiness.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Saw it at the theater; it didn't help.

jojopuppyfish likes this.
  23. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I saw it in the theater and now want to see it again at home (with the subtitles on).

Denim Chicken likes this.
  24. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Despite having AMC A-List and the ability to see 3 movies a week, I missed this one. And need to rent it from Netflix in the next week or two to see what’s up. If it’s Lynchian then I might like it.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It was early Lynchian, when, after the witch, it should have been much more polished. “the lighthouse was akin to a rough student film on the level of Lynch’s Eraserhead , while The Witch held hope he was already
    A mature Bergman. A disappoint to say the least. But maybe the next
    One.

agentalbert, Borgia and JohnG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.