The Linn Karousel bearing upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaveyF, Apr 27, 2020.

1. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think there may be a few Linn LP12 adherents on this forum (linnies as they are commonly known). Linn has just released a new bearing design, after 32 years! This new bearing, called the Karousel, will be shipping in May. The upgrade includes the new bearing and a new inner platter, plus springs and grommets.
    The last bearing upgrade was called the Cirkus, and in my table it made a very noticeable and large uptick to the SQ. The new bearing holds out the same promise.
    What is nice, is that the new bearing is able to be fitted to all older model Linn LP12’s, so long as they have a Lingo 1 or above power supply. Not going to work on Valhalla or below..or for that matter with the latest
    Tiger Paw Tranquility mod!
    Who here is contemplating this upgrade? What does your Linn LP12 consist of now?

2. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

O r your "Triggers Broom" as it is known in the trade:)

SeeDeeFirth and Randoms like this.
  3. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

Circus, Kore,Lingo 1, Akito(the latest version) and Adikt MM Carttridge.

My next upgrade is to replace all those Jamicon caps in the Lingo.

The Karousel sounds tempting....doubt I'll spring for it any time soon though.

PineBark likes this.
  4. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have an LP12 with Cirkus so I am wondering how the Karousel compares to the Cirkus. I have the Greenstreet Audio subchassis (the Naim Aro version) so I'm wondering if that will complicate matters.

Scott

5. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

This weeks LP12 upgrade

6. PhotoMax

PhotoMax Forum Resident

I don’t have an LP12 but did get to listen to a demo the first time the Karousel was played in the USA. Very impressive! Repeated A:B tests with two similar set up LP12 tables, one with the old bearing and one with the new. From the chatter on the Linn club forum the opinion is this is a no brainer upgrade...

DaveyF likes this.
  7. DaveyF

Weeks?? Its been 32 years since the last bearing upgrade!:waiting:

JamboLinnman, steviebee and culabula like this.
  8. DaveyF

I believe the Greenstreet should work. From all accounts so far from folks who have done the mod, the new Karousel is a 'no brainer'.

Scott in DC likes this.
  9. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Time flies when you're snarky about the LP12!

JNTEX, Dennis Metz, Daddy Dom and 2 others like this.
  10. DaveyF

How would you know??:doh:

11. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

I was referring to the post I quoted, not you. I've read all the LP12 snark; I ignore it. PS - Karousel seems to quite uniformly get rave reviews. I've got an LP12 'on order' but it's going to be hand delivered and set up by one of the leading Brits, and who knows when he'll be able to travel to the States.

DaveyF likes this.
  12. DaveyF

@ Bart, I think you are going to be in for a treat once the LP12 is up and running.What model do you have on order?

13. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

It's going to be a bit of a hybrid. Woodsong plinth. Trampolin 2. Kore. Akurate Radikal. Audio Origami PU7 arm, and DV Te Kaitora Rua cart.

Daddy Dom and Randoms like this.
  14. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Wow, that's going to be a VERY nice deck. What wood for the plinth?

jeff

Randoms likes this.
  15. DaveyF

Nice! I will be curious as to how the PU7 plays with the DV and your LP12.
    Why did you go with the PU7?

Bart likes this.
  16. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

That arm was recommended to my by the gentleman who's going to build it for me; he's regarded as the leading LP12 expert in the UK, so I decided he probably knows what he's talking about! It leaves me some room to 'upgrade' more if I want in the future, and he's very happy with the price/performance, and performance overall. (I'd have liked an Aro, but too many practicality issues.) He's very happy with DV on the PU7, too.

Randoms likes this.
  17. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

32years to fix a bearing outstanding work , wonder what next weeks upgrade will be

18. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Currently: Cirkus, standard subchassis, Ekos 2, rebuilt Lingo 1, rebuilt Troika.

My cirkus is only about 2-years old, so I shan’t be contemplating the Karousel. I think a Kore would be the next and final step for my LP12, used of course.

19. puroagave

puroagave Forum Resident

I'm down for two Karousels. I haven't kept up, didnt they start delivering kits in March?

20. DaveyF

My Cirkus is about the same age as yours, yet I will be looking into the Karousel. The upgrade to Cirkus really made a huge difference, IF the Karousel does the same, it's a no brainer.

21. DaveyF

I have heard the PU7 on several occasions, it's a good arm. Never heard it on an LP12, although I do know that some folks say it is a very good match.

Bart likes this.
  22. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

It mounts like a Linn arm, apparently. So if I ever want an Ekos it's an easy swap.

23. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

There is a lot of history!

[​IMG]

A very long time since I've heard a PU2 on a LP12...

Only heard a Sondek mounted PU7 for an album side, but the music coming from it was superb and the Audio Origami arm seems extremely good value.

@Bart, did you decide on silver, or black? They both look good.

24. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Currently: Lingo 3, Cirkus, Kore, Trampoline 2, Ittok LVII, Audio-Technica ATP33/PTGII

Had the Cirkus and Kore installed last year. Was thinking of going Lingo 4 but now I'm at a pause with the Karousel. I'll have to talk to my dealer and see what the logical next step in sound quality would be.

25. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that -- pretty cool! I don't know the history of AO itself, and any connection to the original PU2.

When I was supposed to have the table -- mid April, but that was cancelled for obvious reasons -- they only had silver available. I'd originally specced out black. Now -- I really can't decide. I think that maybe with the black armboard, the black arm looks best (?)

Randoms likes this.