The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Yakr

Yakr Forum Resident

It really is great; I'm a huge fan of the trio, and enjoyed their Spark Of Life album with Joakim Milder a lot. Lovano fits in with them perhaps even better here, lovely warm tone and inventive playing. I liked your choice of words - "unhurried, exploring and always in the moment" - although the track L'amour Fou fills the role of the one track on each album that really picks up a head of steam and hurries along, like Night Train To You from Faithful, Cat from January or Actual Proof from Spark Of Life. Anyone watching this thread will find something to like in this album.

2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Shoot, I know this is a rabbit hole, but I just got my 1st ECM CD because I wanted to start to get into ECM stuff.

Ricardo Villalobos/Max Loderbauer - Re: ECM

It's good, and I like it, but it's not quite what I thought it was.

Anyway, I know I have this somewhere referred to in a Stereophile review, but I think there's like a very well regarded Keith Jarrett piano CD maybe? (Yeah, there's probably a few of them, but I think it was a 2 CD set, a concert ... ?? :hide:)

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  3. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Got this one the other day also. Very nice. It has some nice acoustic guitar tunes and then the electric comes out to finish off the collection. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    [​IMG]

GyroT, Plinko, JediJoker and 6 others like this.
  4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I spent the last weeks listening to Beethoven's piano sonatas almost incessantly so I am little burnt out on solo piano but I agree that this album is lovely.
    Probably the most played ECM album of the last two weeks for me.
    Google is migrating users from their old streaming service to the horrible YouTube Music and for some reason this album is not available on the new service. I am considering dropping Google for streaming even if the ability to upload my own tracks to the library is something I will miss...

Roberto899 and Dean R like this.
  5. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

Yeah, that Re: ECM is an outlier. I've listened to some of it. Not really representative of the ECM sound in the strictest sense but part of the broader ECM collage, more out at the end of the bell curve...

The Keith Jarrett you might be referring to:

Keith Jarrett: Munich 2016
    ECM 2667/2668 (2 CDs)

reviewed by Stereophile late last year.

There are so many recordings by Keith that I wouldn't even know where to start, other than his most famous recording, The Köln Concert from 1975. Munich 2016 is very highly regarded though so it's about as good a live solo piano recording of his as any. You should also check out the Trio stuff with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette.

kevin5brown likes this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I see that albums is a montage of many different ECM albums, almost like a hip hop sampling to create tracks from their catalog. I haven't heard it but it sounds like an interesting venture.

kevin5brown likes this.
  7. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Finally got around to listening to this one and I concur: match made in heaven! "L'amour Fou" is the only one I don't instantly love, but that's typical; I never seem to enjoy the seemingly obligatory "fast tune" that tends to stick out like a sore thumb on most recent ECM releases. Can't deny the top shelf playing on this one, though. It's solid, even if it sounds like it belongs on a different album. In any case, great album here. I hope this collaboration isn't a one-off.

J Borland likes this.
  8. Roberto899

Would that be the Andras Schiff collection you have been listening to?

9. Bobby Buckshot

I think there may be access on YT premium or something like that but overall ECM isn't available via YT. It does looks like ECM is well represented on a few of the other streaming services though.

10. Roberto899

I dove headfirst into Keith solo piano by getting Sun Bear concerts hahaha. Personally I would recommend starting with Vienna Concert.

Stu02 and kevin5brown like this.
  11. Roberto899

Not sure how I missed this one when it came out. I was going through a nasty divorce at the time so that's probably why, but I'm very glad it turned up in a something you might like. I like it very much. Spacy, percussive, guitar, and Nil's trumpet on top of it all. Great stuff.
    [​IMG]

Stu02, vapor minor and Music Geek like this.
  12. Music Geek

Yes. I haven't got the proper knowledge to make a serious comparison of the many pianists who have tackled Beethoven's sonatas but I like Schiff's collection.

13. Music Geek

The frustrating thing is that as a paying Google Play Music customer I was migrated to YouTube Premium so most ECM albums are available but for unknown reasons some albums are missing, Promontoire being one of them.
    I have contacted YouTube Music's customer support but they are totally clueless. I don't seem to able to explain that the absence of some specific albums is a "bug" not a licensing issue.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  14. Roberto899

I was going to ask what you thought of it. I have debated picking it up. I have liked what I have heard off of it.

15. kevin5brown

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. :D

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

An all time favorite ECM'er.

[​IMG]

17. kevin5brown

I had to post this because I thought it was ... appropriate. Went to Amazon, and just searched for Keith Jarrett because I was curious what would come up.

Koln Concert is #1, Munich is #2, and Fenice is #5. :righton:

18. kevin5brown

Duh, Fenice is not Vienna, don't know why I spaced on that ...

19. Bobby Buckshot

20. Music Geek

I have bought the whole collection of the Schiff/Beethoven sonatas when it was heavily discounted on the ECM website (the boxset format) so it wasn't a massive investment and I am happy with it.
    Once again I am absolutely no critical listener when it comes to classical music and I know that not everyone likes how Schiff plays Beethoven but it works for me.

21. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

ECM 1021
    playing the late 70s repress with alternate artwork (which was also used for the CD issue)
    [​IMG]

22. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Dave Liebman - Drum Ode (1975)
    ECM 1046, recorded May 1974

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE, GyroT, Stu02 and 4 others like this.
  23. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Good to hear. I have it on order

Roberto899 likes this.
  24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Odd in that I thoroughly like Scofield but this did not grab my attention

25. Roberto899

Interesting. I'm curious why it didn't grab your attention.