The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. kingzorn

kingzorn Well-Known Member

I would love to see a thread on the three labels I consider to be the most ECM adjacent: Hubro, Rune Grammophon, and Winter&Winter.

JakeM, Howard Bleach and ciderglider like this.
  2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Rune Grammophon have some nice looking CD designs. I own several of the Arve Henriksen recordings and like their artwork.

Max Florian likes this.
  3. Mirror Image

That’s great news! I definitely need to pick up What Comes After as I’ve been trying to find a copy of this one for years and have had zero luck.

Mook likes this.
  4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Amazon France which is usually the cheapest for Touchstone CDs has them out at the end of October. Quite strange given that they seem to be already available on the ECM shop now.

5. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

I think its due to covid. ECM's webstore just recently started shipping again to customers in the US; however, they've advised that all orders will be shipped to the US via sea freight and to expect ship times of 30+ days.

6. kingzorn

Here's a nice summary from Jazzwise on the new Rypdal re-releases:

Terje Rypdal's first new album in 20 years and 1970s classics among ECM releases

ECM has also announced the reissue of four Rypdal recordings from the 1970s – albums which helped to establish the guitarist. These are the eponymously titled Terje Rypdal (recorded 1971), What Comes After (1973), Whenever I Seem To Be Far Away (1974) and Descendre (1979). All have been slated for reissue in mid to late October on ECM’s Touchstone imprint. Among the artists featured on these recordings are: Barre Phillips (bass); Danish trumpeter Palle Mikkelborg; drummer Jon Christensen; Mladen Gutesha, the Sarajevo-born conductor and arranger; powerhouse bass guitarist Sveinung Hovensjø; and trumpeter Palle Mikkelborg.

Rypdal made his first appearance on ECM as a member of the Jan Garbarek Quartet on Afric Pepperbird (recorded in Oslo in September 1970), and was encouraged by label head/producer Manfred Eicher to make his own album the following year. This led to a half-century association with the label, which continues to this day.

For what it's worth, I've been seeing prices of $50 -$100 on Discogs for cds of these recordings that were released years ago. This is very good news.

7. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I've ordered What Comes After & Whenever I Seem To Be Far Away on CD, £9.99 each. Absolutely love these two albums & have been playing them a lot on Spotify.

caupina likes this.
  8. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

Reflections

Bobo Stenson
    Anders Jormin
    Jon Christensen

[​IMG]

Trk 1, The Enlightener, has that circular melody thing that makes my head swim.

9. Mirror Image

NP:

Andrew Cyrille: Lebroba

[​IMG]

s.magus and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. CrankSomeFrank

Jack DeJohnette
    New Directions
    In Europe

Jack DeJohnette
    Eddie Gomez
    Lester Bowie
    John Abercrombie

One of Abercrombies wilder efforts, it's not a calming record, as I suspect the Andrew Cyrille is also (not).

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  11. Mirror Image

I liked DeJohnette’s Directions albums, but I never reach for them too often. I will say Silver Hollow must be counted as one of DeJohnette’s best compositions and why it’s not a ‘jazz standard’ is beyond me. Have you heard this Andrew Cyrille album? It’s quite good I must say and there’s some beautiful music to be found here.

12. Mirror Image

NP:

Marc Johnson: Bass Desires

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven’t heard this album in years. Love, love, LOVE IT! Certainly one of the great ECM albums of the 80s.

13. Mirror Image

NP:

Michel Benita Ethics: River Silver

[​IMG]

14. kingzorn

Bass Desires was my Bill Frisell gateway drug. I'd never ever heard anything quite like Samurai Hee Haw before. Still haven't.

Power Tools (very non-ECM) sealed the deal.

CrankSomeFrank and Mirror Image like this.
  15. Mirror Image

Very cool. The first Frisell album I heard was his own Where in the World?, which I followed by Gone, Just Like A Train. From here, I started working my way backwards and forwards through his discography as both a leader and a sideman. Power Tools is a cool album, but it’s not my favorite Frisell. Probably my favorite work of his is with Paul Motian.

16. CrankSomeFrank

As a young aspiring guitar player the 1-2 punch of Frisell/Scofield was mind blowing. Not just my first Frisell but my first ECM.

Power Tools is raw & wicked. Love it.

Mirror Image likes this.
  17. Mirror Image

I generally dislike Scofield but when he’s with Frisell, I definitely find him more tolerable and, in fact, even enjoy his playing. I think the two complimented each other rather nicely.

Have you seen this?

18. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Great! Thanks. Sometimes I think Erskine is one of the very finest drummers to walk the earth. Nice to see Bill smiling so much here.

19. Mirror Image

Yeah, there’s some older footage of Marc Johnson’s Bass Desires, but the quality isn’t as good as this footage from 1988. You can definitely tell Frisell is having a lot of fun. I agree with your opinion of Erskine --- he’s one of the greats for sure.

20. Mirror Image

NP:

Nils Petter Molvaer: Khmer

[​IMG]

21. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Thank You for posting this! This sounds very experimental and something that i was looking for!

Mirror Image likes this.
  22. Mirror Image

Yeah, I think you’ll enjoy it. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with Molvaer’s work or not, but he seems to be the catalyst of a movement called Future Jazz which is blends jazz with electronica. Pretty interesting.

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  23. Mirror Image

A follow-up to my previous reply, you should definitely check out Arve Henriksen as well (if you haven’t already).

24. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

And for lovers of Khmer I'd highly recommend the new album Sulamadiana by Mino Cinelu & Nils Pettar Molvaer

25. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

Another vote for Sulamadiana. Anyone with a half decent system, aside from the great playing and outside the envelope compositions, it's an engineering marvel.