The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Rest easy, Jon. (1937-2021)

Jon Hassell
    Last night the moon came

dropping its clothes in the street (2009)
    ECM 2077, recorded 2008

[​IMG]

Tokyo Ghost, mcwlod, Eric_B and 15 others like this.
  2. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Just started seriously listening to Marc Johnson's Bass Desires project, prompted by a trove of live shows that were recently reseeded on Dime. Such killer, Top Gun-era jazz.

Interesting project for audio geeks too since their first album (1985's Bass Desires) was analog, their second (1987's Second Sight) was digital. Same engineer (Jan Erik Kongshaug), albeit different studios (Power Station NYC versus Rainbow Studio Oslo). The sonic difference is pretty stark. Appreciate that ECM was good about "DIGITAL RECORDING" labels and SPARS codes -- helps one figure out which mid-80's titles can be expected to have that AAA magic.

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Great album!

I did see the band live in Montreal, guess it would have been the late 80's.

Eric_B likes this.
  4. brimuchmuze

I think this was my first "ECM" Concert:

ECM Summit with Garbarek, Weber, Vasconcelos, Vitous, Abercrombie

Tuesday June 30, 1987, Salle Wildrid-Pelletier, Place des Arts, Montreal

ARTISTS: Miroslav Vitous, John Abercrombie, Jan Garbarek, Egberto Gismonti, Eberhard Weber

Wow, what a lineup! They did various configurations during the concert (solos, duos, etc) . Nice memories, wish I had a recording :)

What was your fist ECM concert experience?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

First time I remember seeing an ECM-connected act was Art Ensemble of Chicago in the early 90's (or, to stretch it further, Pat Metheny Group late 80's).

My most ECM-style concert experience was seeing a Jarrett solo concert in Chicago 2007. Seeing it live, the first half became so involving that at times it felt like I was onstage playing. Second half got more scattered and then the end of the show (five encores) became an over the top lovefest, but I'll never forget the first part.

vapor minor and brimuchmuze like this.
  6. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Over the years I have seen/heard Pat Metheny, Codona, Oregon, Ralph Towner, Dave Holland, Jan Garbarek, John Abercrombie and Tomas Stanko.

They were all wonderful concerts, especially Stanko, who I caught in a small club.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  7. Just got Manu Katche's "Neighbourhood" on vinyl at the famed 12 Tonar store in Reykjavik. I didn't even know that it had gotten a vinyl release, and it sure does sound great. VERY quiet pressing that is just a joy to listen to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I notice Sun Bear there in the bottom picture

9. Roberto899

My first ECM concert was Jan Garbarck, David Torn, Webber, and Di Pasqua It's Okay to Listen to The Gray Voice in the mid 80's sometime.

10. That basement room was just glorious. Even my 18-year-old son, for whom the trip was a kind of graduation gift found it cool. Nice that he indulged me a little time for the record store. Younger son loves those places, but the older one is all-digital. In his favor? He was able to eat his entire order of hakarl.

Curious delicacies: Hákarl

Roberto899 likes this.
  11. That is a superb album. I'm jealous.

12. Freddie Freeloader

Freddie Freeloader Forum Resident

I can't remember what my first ECM concert was. But one of the most memorable was by Ralph Towner, probably my favorite ECM artist, in a church somewhere in Berlin.

Another highlight was John Surman and Bill Frisell playing together at the North Sea Jazz Festival a couple of years ago.

13. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

I think the first time I saw any ECM artists live would have been the North Sea Jazz Festival in 1983, where I saw Chick Corea and Jaco Pastorious, but not playing together. Neither impressed me. In 1985 I saw Jack DeJohnette at NSJF, and he was excellent.

14. Amoepe

Amoepe Forum Resident

The first one was Stephan Micus at Jazzfestival Muenster in 1979. The best one maybe Jack de Johnette`s Special Edition at Jazzfestival Moers 1982. Too bad I never got a chance to see the Gateway Trio live.

15. Roberto899

I imagine hakarl is an acquired taste...hahahaha

16. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

Pat Metheny Group at UNLV's Artemus Ham Concert Hall in Aug 1982, Offramp tour. General admission 11 bucks I think.

17. brimuchmuze

Like the Disk Union T-Shirt and Bag!

From Japan?

18. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

Gary Burton at the Maintenance Shop in Ames, Iowa in 1982 or 3, and what a band: Mike Hyman - drums, Makoto Ozone - piano, Steve Swallow - bass. I didn't even know what ECM was back then, or much about jazz, or any of the players, but they owned that tiny club.

19. Yep. From my visit in January 2020. Got some good ECM stuff on CD during that visit, too. Keith Jarrett - Personal Mountains, Arild Anderson - Live At Bellesville, and Terje Rypdal - What Comes After CDs were all found on that journey.

I have a small collection of record store t-shirts and/or bags, and I do enjoy bringing them on trips - to other places. It's really kind of fun and sometimes starts conversations. I've met interesting record shop owners and had conversations all around the world: USA, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina, Brasil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, England, Iceland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Russia, Singapore, Japan . . . It's just something I like to do when traveling.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    oldjollymon likes this.
  20. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

First ECM concert for me was seeing John Surman and Jack DeJohnette in February 2003 at the Grillo Theater, Essen, Germany.
    Same place I saw Nik Bärtsch twice in recent years.

21. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

In a strange development, I found Arvo Part’s ‘Alina’ CD, then a couple of days later, I found his ‘Tabula Rasa’ CD. I’d heard of him but had not heard his music. I liked ‘Alina’ and am making my way through ‘Tabula Rasa’.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  22. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

I grabbed all of those shows as well. But I had semi-recently become familiar with the Bass Desires albums via Qobuz - I'd made a pandemic project out of listening to as many ECM albums that I hadn't heard before as I possibly could :)

Freddie Freeloader and Eric_B like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Never heard this lineup but I guess I'll listen to the album they did called Real Life Hits. I think this was Burton's first band with a piano, other than a failed attempt to add Chick Corea to his group in the 60's that he mentioned in his book.

24. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Art Ensemble of Chicago at the Roundhouse in London in March 82 while they were on ECM.

The following year I was at the same venue to see Lester Bowie with pretty much the same band as was on All The Magic.

Both were absolutely wonderful gigs.

I've also seen Kenny Wheeler, Dave Holland, Garbarek twice. Also Evan Parker lots of times but not while he was on ECM.

vapor minor, Amoepe and Roberto899 like this.
  25. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Wish I could find some of Maja Weber's paintings for sale -- love all the covers she did for ECM.

Tokyo Ghost, Phillipe, mcwlod and 9 others like this.