The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

The Cover’s a mess but the disc is clean!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gary Burton
    [​IMG]

Look up “underrated” in the dictionary, there is a photo of Mick Goodrick playing guitar. Dude is tops! He’s listed as “Michael” on this sleeve…

ultron9, Roger Thornhill, PhR and 8 others like this.
  2. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Couldn't resist an unplayed first German Travels today. A special record. Going Ahead into Wichita is so magical. I even like the extreme hoots from the crazed fans.

Does anyone (other than people who live in Germany) else get a little jittery when they find a German pressing of an ECM record? The Canadian Travels happens to be a deep transparent purple Quiex Sterling and sounds quite good. I assume people generally consider the German presses to be best for ECM releases. Lots of great US/Canadian RLs and Sterlings out there.....

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

4. brimuchmuze

Upcoming....

[​IMG]

ultron9, webbcity, Music Geek and 9 others like this.
  5. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Excited for this one. Not a lot of info on the web yet -- I assume this is the same quartet as "The Declaration of Musical Independence"?

brimuchmuze likes this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Great playing from Goodrick, and Abraham Laboriel's bass is a novel contrast to the more austere style of Steve Swallow.

ultron9 likes this.
  7. brimuchmuze

I think so, but as you say not a lot of detail yet.

Eric_B likes this.
  8. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Looking forward to this. I really like Shades Of Jade & Swept Away.

Eric S. and brimuchmuze like this.
  9. brimuchmuze

Somehow amazon.ca got early copies of this, so I ordered yesterday and have it in my hands now.

The band is the same, except the excellent Cuban pianist David Virelles replaces Richard Teitelbaum.

J Borland likes this.
  10. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Man do I love this album. 3/4 of what was about to become PMG, plus Eberhard Weber on bass. This was among the first of the Metheny CDs I bought back in the mid-80s, and those ECM CDs sure were expensive then. Tonight I'm listening in 24/96 from Qobuz and it sounds superb.

I'm going to mention a non-ECM release that I listened just prior, only because the details on Bandcamp note that two of the driving forces behind it "connected at a book club. Bonding over 70s ECM, contemporary minimalists, and Musique concrete the two began to discuss collaborating."

Peace Flag Ensemble "Noteland" - I think some people here would like this one. I stumbled across it on Qobuz while scrolling through the new releases recently and gave it a play because I liked the album cover.

11. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

wichita is great but i slightly prefer the studio version ... on the other hand you have great new tunes like the title track and "song for bilbao"

12. Someone In A Tree

Someone In A Tree Crow-flowers, nettles, daisies, and long purples

[​IMG]

Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays / As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
    [ECM 1190 / 1981 / AAD, rec. 1980]

[​IMG]
    Wee-Chi-Tah

ultron9, Jimbino, Roberto899 and 5 others like this.
  13. Recordingpianoman

Recordingpianoman Forum Resident

Earlier this year I decided to listen to every record in my collection (not a huge one, just a few hundred). Right now I’m in the jazz section, and at my Ralph Towner collection. I currently have my German pressing of Solstice spinning. This has to be my favorite of the entire label, let alone Towner’s solo work...

14. brimuchmuze

I agree with you, one of the absolutely best ECM albums.

ultron9 and GnuHigh like this.
  15. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

Learned from ECM Twitter that preview tracks from these new Andrew Cyrille and Marc Johnson albums are now streaming. The Cyrille date does indeed feature Frisell, Street, and Virelles. Preview track sounds great -- a little more straight ahead than the previous date.

16. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I got a "previews" booklet with my latest ECM mail order so if you don't mind spoilers I can reveal what's coming in the next months after Andrew Cyrille and Marc Johnson.

- Marcin Wasilewski Trio
    - Mark Turner
    - Mathias Eick
    - Craig Taborn (solo piano, live)
    - Ayumi Tanaka Trio (???)
    - Jorge Rossy Trio
    - Eberhard Weber (solo, live)

Intrigued by the last one as it says "Live in Avignon" so it can't be a collage of bass solos like the last two albums).
    I don't know piano player Ayumi Tanaka.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I haven't heard her yet but she has already recorded on ECM with Thomas Strønen, who I also haven't heard.
    About — Ayumi Tanaka

18. Music Geek

You are right she is on Bayou, a rather impenetrable album for me...

19. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

Lyle Mays-Eberhard
    His estate will be releasing his 13 minute mini-symphony Eberhard.
    Due out on Aug 27, 2021.
    Store — Lyle Mays

J Borland likes this.
  20. brimuchmuze

Some new High Res Transfers are available.

I believe these were all out on Japanese SACDs previously.
    [​IMG]

21. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Great list of upcoming releases.

Eric S. likes this.
  22. Music Geek

I wonder if Stefano Battaglia is still under contract with ECM. It's almost 4 years since his last solo album and even longer for his trio.
    I am a big fan of his and I love In The Morning (as I said more than once in this thread).
    I am happy about the list of new releases but I can't help being disappointed that there's nothing by him in the pipeline.

J Borland likes this.
  23. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

I was wondering why RTF and the Peacock title were listed under 'New Releases" on Qobuz when I was scrolling though last night.

24. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

Neither his website nor Wikipedia show any releases following Pelagos. Am also a big fan of In The Morning, would love to see more releases from him.

Music Geek likes this.
  25. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

NEW CRAIG TABORN SOLO!!! that is incredible news! I was wondering what his next release for ECM would be, this is amazing.

brimuchmuze likes this.