The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

I have no doubt, in the sense that there is a treasure trove they have not had time to get to yet. They are a machine, and Germans. Even they can't keep up with the music.

Amoepe likes this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I would guess not, as from comments I've seen about Eicher I get the sense that he is budget minded and rarely works on something that isn't certain to lead to a release. Keith Jarrett might have some unreleased concert recordings, although not all with Eicher's involvement.

3. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Did ECM do any more vinyl reissues after the Mal Waldron - Free At Last? I thought that might be the start of something.

Now: Jan Garbarek Quartet - Afric Pepperbird (1970)
    JG has such a peculiar catalog. I really like this one, but I can't stand SART. Then Witchi-Tai-To is a mighty fine one. But then I don't like Dansere. However, there is a lot to be said for trying different things and so I try my best to give them a fair shake.

4. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Have you tried "Paths, Prints"? I really enjoy his albums with a guitarist.

Phillipe likes this.
  5. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Oh yeah! '79 to mid-80s is my fave period, I think. I look forward to listening in the days ahead.
    I snuck in the non-ECM Esoteric Circle (great) and on Witchi now (great, too).
    Then I will clear my head.

brimuchmuze likes this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I seem to have fallen off the ECM train this past year. Not sure if I just not been hearing or not hearing what I like of new releases

7. mwheelerk

My, my, my, things have changed since May of 2017. Not that this change is overly dramatic in pure numbers but the fact that I now have 52 ECM titles since that time is pleasing to me. But, as I commented a few moments ago, only three titles since the beginning of 2020.

8. mwheelerk

I love the subtle beauty of so many ECM covers

Eric S. likes this.
  9. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

A new one on me:
    Barre Phillips - Mountainscapes (1976)
    Interestingly, never saw this one pop up on the ubiquitous Awesome! Obscure! ECM! Titles! articles the hipster rags pump out.
    Was scrolling through the Touchstones series on discogs and it caught my eye.
    This is classic 70s ECM without doubt (with a synthetic twist, perhaps).
    I love when one of those "I can't believe I haven't heard this before," records pop up, because then it makes the present excitable. Cool as heck on all fronts.

10. brimuchmuze

Three Day Moon is great too!

11. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Thank you, brimuchmuze. Just sampled a bit and I'm sold on devoting time and resources on the whole thing.

12. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

13. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Steve Kuhn with Strings (2004)
    one of the few ECM I have that was published after the 80s.
    Always a joy to listen and dream to.
    (I do at times suffer pangs of guilt for not supporting newer jazz artists, but what can I do? I just don't buy them).

14. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

PS listened again to Barre Phillips - Mountainscapes and was delighted to find the last track
    reminded me of the Gong pulse rock-out vibe. Interesting!

brimuchmuze likes this.
  15. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

A few days ago ECM tweeted about a YouTube clip featuring Ayumi Tanaka. I had a look today, not having come across her before. Even by ECM standards, her music is quite Webernesque.

BobSmith8901 likes this.
  16. terry toww

terry toww Forum Resident

This is a fantastic thread that has directed me towards some great ECM recordings.
    I'm wondering if some of the many aficionados on here could post their top five ECM recordings that exhibit a specifically pastoral and lyrical focus? I particularly enjoyed the 2020 release 'Rivages' by Kevin Seddiki but would like to explore out from there.

17. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

This is one of my favorite ECMs and favorite Cowell. It is also one of the most "unECMish" sounding ECM records! For me, earth shattering - combination of Cowell's playing and Clarke's funky bass - and part of the canon of great 1970s ECM recordings.

I don't know if any of the musicians ever recorded on any other ECM albums.

Dean R and Phillipe like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Stanley Clarke played on the first Return to Forever album on ECM, otherwise I can't think of any.

19. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

Looking forward to Subaqueous Silence later this month.

There's also a great album from this same trio called Memento on AMP Records from 2016. Beautiful melodies. Almost a sort of Nordic ambient chamber jazz, superbly engineered so you hear all of the nuances and silences.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  20. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

AMP is label that doesn't get the attention it deserves. I have a couple of releases by The Aloft Quartet on AMP, and I think they're pretty good. Nothing to frighten the horses, but interesting nevertheless.

BobSmith8901 likes this.
  21. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

I'll be checking out more from their catalog for sure! As I mentioned, aside from the music itself on Memento, I found the quality of the recording to be exceptional. And this is on Tidal HiFi, 16/44.1, streaming. Just dead-black background digital goodness.

ciderglider likes this.
  22. brimuchmuze

Now playing...

Bill Connors - Swimming with a Hole in my Body

[​IMG]

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

:thumbsup: I listened to my vinyl copy last weekend.

brimuchmuze likes this.
  24. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Steve Tibbetts - The Fall Of Us All (1994)
    ECM 1527, recorded 1990-93 in St. Paul, MN. and Boudanath, Nepal

I can't think of any ECM album that is even remotely as heavy as this 70 minutes relentless powerplay.
    After the brute opener Dzogchen Punk it gets "a little" more moderate but keeps a strong vibrating energy till the end.
    Even though Tibbetts is probably my all time favourite musician, I have to be in a certain mood for this album.

[​IMG]

25. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation, wasn't familiar with this one at all, and I'm really digging it.

vapor minor likes this.