The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Yes! I picked this up on a lark back in college and was thoroughly confused by it. Great album.

vapor minor likes this.
  2. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

I did give it a 2nd listen before reading your post and am gonna listen again soon after reading. The heavy cut with the kalimba (?) or is that Clarke (?) and monster drumming certainly leapt out at me. I'll have to go listen to the earlier Cowell I (hopefully still) love and compare.

Now: Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (1975)

Is it okay to come clean in an ECM thread and say that: eh, not a big fan of Keith. This is exactly 1 of the 5 KJ albums I own and never felt the need to acquire more. Maybe I'll get the bug one day. I do enjoy this one.

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Which ones do own? Maybe we can recommend something as he has a huge discography.

4. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Is ECM having distribution or production problems with its back catalog?

There are some albums I just can't seem to find.

One is Khmer by Nils Petter Molvaer, which was quite popular when it first came out and was reissued in 2019.

A store I frequent says the LP isn't available anymore but I could get a CD version from Japan for $40.

Even if I use Amazon (which I hate to do) the only copies available are from the UK.

5. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I've been listening to Incredible String Band's early albums this week. I was surprised to learn Robin Williamson has a few releases on ECM. I'd be happy to read a quick review of these albums from anyone who's heard them.

Alan2 likes this.
  6. brimuchmuze

Unfortunately there are a lot of ECM titles out of print.

You can buy this one on vinyl directly from ECM though.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have one of his CDs for ECM titled The Seed At Zero. Very nice acoustic guitar and voice session.

davebush likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Hmm, you like this one but don't want to get more? Something turn you off about the others?

Some of my favorite Jarrett albums are not on ECM, particularly the quartet albums on Impulse in the 70's.

Phillipe likes this.
  9. brimuchmuze

Yes, there are some great Impulse Albums with the American Quartet.

Still, I think "Survivor's Suite" is the best album by the American Quartet, but "Death and the Flower" is very close.

misteranderson and Phillipe like this.
  10. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Per KJ I have: Facing You; Expectations; Köln; Arbour Zena; Survivors Suite
    (and Kenny Wheelers' Gnu High).

After listening to Köln last night I felt there's definite room for another solo piano in the collection.
    I have heard plenty more over the years, of course, and did a sampling binge awhile back. In theory,
    the American Quartet would be a natural for collecting but for whatever reason, I don't move past the above.
    Point me toward a solo and I'll likely blindly follow your decree. Maybe a Euro group one? Thanks!

11. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

I had the pleasure of attending a solo RW show I think around the time of ECM. Lots of harp and recited bits. I think someone joined him at some point. Maybe his wife?
    But the strange thing was as soon as he finished, staff started quickly breaking down/setting up the stage. As far as I knew it wasn't a double bill. And it wasn't, it was a seperate event. Turned out to be Acid Mothers Temple! So I hung in for that. One of the great schizo bills of all time, even if it was a fake double bill. RW is an interesting fellow. Could pass for a threatening bike gang member, but then he whips out that harp!

Alan2 and davebush like this.
  12. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very briefly, they are all good, but The Iron Stone and Trusting in the Rising Light are easiest to get into, imo. The Iron Stone has a couple of reworking of ISB songs, so it might be a good point of entry. The ECM albums represent a very particular point in RWs career, characterised by musical settings of poetry and the use of musicians from the jazz field. He spoke of his fascination with certain poets as a response to 'wrought language', where the spoken words take in their own substance and a musical quality.

davebush likes this.
  13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I've been looking for a nice copy of this. There's one on eBay for $50 and a dozen or so on Discogs,mostly Euro, with shipping still pricey for me.

[​IMG]

J Borland and BobSmith8901 like this.
  14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

15. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

For people who enjoy Köln concert but never really got into Keith's other solo efforts for whatever reasons, I usually recommend the 3LP or 3CD set "Concerts" (ECM 1227-29), two concerts recorded 1981 in Bregenz and Munich.
    There are melodic glimpses and a lightness shining through Keith's play, that you won't find on any other solo record before or ever after, besides on Köln of course and - for the sake of completeness - in parts on Sun Bear Concerts (which I do not recommend at this point due to its monumental scale).
    My personal favourite solo record will always be "Vienna Concert" (ECM 1481) recorded in 1991. Its abstract and architectonical quality blows my mind anew every single time. It's like he's building a cathedral of sound in little less than 70 minutes, starting with the first stone (note).
    For many Jarrett fans "La Scala" (ECM 1640) has a similar impact like "Vienna" has on me.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  16. brimuchmuze

For Euro Quartet, Sleeper is a great live album, or Belonging for a studio album.

17. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

that makes three of us!

One of my favorites, and very unique album in the ECM catalog. Always wondered why it wasn't ever issued on CD.

I'm a fan of the MWT and really liking this one so far. Not usually a fan of 'pop covers' by jazz artists but "Riders on the Storm" sounds like it was written for this trio! Superb! Looking forward to getting my CD copy.

18. brimuchmuze

I noticed you have nothing from the Standards Trio.

Have you sampled that?

Some very beautiful music over the last 40 years!

I would suggest starting at the beginning, Standards Vol 1 & 2. Many, many live recordings to explore.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  19. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Very much appreciated, gentlemen. I went with VIENNA for a start. The most intriguing.
    Seems like "Death and the Flower," ought to be next as it's in my zone? (really dug non-ECM Expectations
    last night and cranked Survivors up, too for a maximum thrill).
    I'm familiar with the Standards Vol. 1 but resistant. Watched some live youtube awhile back and what
    I witnessed there felt did the trick better than studio. I do see there's a live one...
    But I just don't know about the Euro band. I'll just go for that Concerts at some point and see what happens.
    So Thank You Again.

Now (forgot Jarrett is featured):
    Paul Motian - Conception Vessel (1973)
    This was my first-ever ECM purchase as I probably had a vague idea of the label and liked the cover. I'd lost
    track of the vinyl, totally forgot about it when my memory cracked open, spotting the Touchstones reissue.
    Like it plenty, a fine one. Leroy Jenkins on the closer! I saw Leroy solo around 1980 at a jazz fest, just violin
    and theremin. First time I'd seen one (theremin) and he gave me a little tutorial after, what it was all about.
    Wish I could find recordings of that set up. Can't remember if he did effects with the violin or not.

Wounded Land and vapor minor like this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There are a lot of live Standards Trio CDs. Tokyo 96 is one that I like.

Phillipe likes this.
  21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Hands down Sun Bear box set. I am a moderate Jarrett fan but this is one 10 cd set that I wish was bigger. I continue to find nuances in the set hidden 25 years after first hearing this set. It is recently reissued in vinyl but I dont know if its a good reissue

22. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

I found a copy of this in a used CD store awhile back. It was definitely a bit more aggressive than I expected but I really like it.

CrankSomeFrank and vapor minor like this.
  23. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

Ralph Towner - Solstice (1975)
    What more can be said? This one escaped me in my youth, had never heard it until Touchstones.
    Nice surprise on how perfectly ECM it is!

24. Phillipe

Phillipe Forum Resident

What are the rules on these? Mainly a licensing/distribution deal for outside the USA?
    I don't think ECM when I play them, I think Watt. Upstate NY. Woodstock.
    Did Eicher have a similar deal with anyone else? Not including the Giuffre.
    Anyway, 2 classics. Her best, to my tastes.
    Carla Bley - Dinner Music (1977)
    Carla Bley Band - Musique Mecanique (1979)

25. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

I'm not sure, but I think JAPO had a similar relationship to ECM.