The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I've been digging E Rava's On the Dance Floor - a live, big band trib to Michael Jackson, it covers the waterfront in its broad sweeping embrace of everything from Sousa to Gil Evans to James Brown and beyond, so very NOT 'typical ECM'!

2. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

3. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for ECM to show up on one of the streaming sites. When it does, I know it will lead me to buy more of their cds!

ultron9 and Alan2 like this.
  4. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

You can't go wrong with ECM.

That said, you can stream some music at the ECM site.

ECM Records

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    jiffypopinski and Alan2 like this.
  5. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

thanks!

6. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

Big Eivind Aarset fan here (along with a number of other Norwegian musicians including Henriksen and Bang), and this one has been on my radar for awhile but haven't yet pulled the trigger. My wife and I are taking a Northern European cruise this spring and one of the first things I did after we booked it was google for a jazz CD shop in Oslo, and found this just a few blocks from the port: Bare Jazz AS - now I'm working up a short list of CDs and hope to grab a few there - Atmospheres is on the list.

Tonight I'm listening to another ECM release with Aarset in a supporting role:

[​IMG]

A very enjoyable listen indeed.

7. jiffypopinski

I had a tough time tracking this down for a reasonable price but it was worth it. Definitely one of Weber's most beautiful recordings.

[​IMG]

8. orson

orson Forum Resident

A view out window of a winter amber light sunset, a glass of red wine and an LP vinyl pressing of Jan Garbarek's Dis on the turntable. Sublime.[​IMG]

Rodney Toady, alankin1, Marzz and 3 others like this.
  9. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

After finishing the Sheppard CD, I decided to continue in ECM mode for one more, this gem by Charles Lloyd:

[​IMG]

What a great quartet!

mwheelerk, ultron9, alankin1 and 4 others like this.
  10. jiffypopinski

This is my first Muthspiel album. Gorgeous, smoky, meditative stuff! I have Rising Grace on the way. :pleased:

[​IMG]

ultron9, Marzz, Humbuster and 4 others like this.
  11. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Ralph Towner's SOLSTICE was the first time I was aware of ECM, found it on used vinyl at a fair. I have many of Keith Jarrett's albums and am just about to re-investigate THE SURVIVOR'S SUITE.

ultron9, Rodney Toady, Marzz and 3 others like this.
  12. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Nice. Did you find it online? I've had this one in my ebay wantlist for YEARS, and the dang thing NEVER shows up. It did appear once from an overseas seller, but I had to pass because of cost, shipping, etc.

jiffypopinski likes this.
  13. jiffypopinski

Such a glorious album!! All of Garbarek's 70s recordings are must-haves IMO.

BTW, does anyone have this amazing thing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a brand new copy a few weeks ago but haven't had the time to really sit down and devote myself to it. The quality is simply astounding and it's packed with essays, musings on some of the key albums over the years as well as a complete discography. Worth every penny!

ultron9, hkm3, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  14. jiffypopinski

Yeah, I got it from a domestic Amazon seller... it was just blind luck really. I had been checking discogs as well but it has proven to be one of the more elusive CDs I've been after. I can't recommend it highly enough though... it has this creepy, haunted atmosphere and Rypdal's stinging guitar lines are the icing on the cake. I soooooo want Phillips' other ECM albums. I wish they would do one of those mini-boxes for his 80s material. Especially Music By as that one sounds equally sinister.

vapor minor likes this.
  15. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Wow, what a great score. Seems like whenever I check Amazon, someone is trying to sell that CD for well over a hundred bucks! I too, would love to see his music reissued. Love Barre Phillips. I think I have just about everything he's involved with from ECM either on vinyl, CD or both! Mountainscapes and Three Day Moon are outstanding records. I'm lucky enough to have Mountainscapes on CD and original German vinyl. Barre's solo ECM record, Call Me When You Get There, that Vapor Minor posted a few pages back, is also incredible. Shame that it has never been released on CD. I also highly recommend Journal Violone II. Very sparse instrumentation, drummer-less, with eerie chilling vocals by Aina Kemanis and John Surman on various saxes, clarinet, synths, etc. Amazing.

vapor minor likes this.
  16. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I'll have to check that one that out. Thanks.

17. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Of course, I do have this amazing, beautifully made book. :righton: A must have for the dedicated fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can find this great photo shown above in good quality here: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81yAkwIVC+L.jpg

18. Maximum Volumizer

Maximum Volumizer New Member

I wish they would stream, I dont have the monetary funds to collect from their label. I understand why but us in the streaming century are not interested in physical product anymore. To be perfectly blunt, a lot of us are burnt out on physical media. We collected it all our lives and labels like ECM & Tzadik are losing more money from uploaders who upload the albums on the net using torrents & select web pages. :help:

19. John Abercrombie - Timeless
    [​IMG]
    Listening for the first time, I'm impressed!

20. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I'll have to check this out. I liked Rising Grace a lot.

jiffypopinski likes this.
  21. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Stream - Jakob Bro Interesting guitar led stuff.

22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Check if you local library offers Hoopla. They stream there.

23. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

I heard the English version is way better ;) That ping pong/table tennis photo is so great. One of them even has his shirt off!

Now, the live recording in this box; Recorded for Swedish Radio in June of 1976:

[​IMG]

Terje Rypdal - Odyssey In Studio & In Concert (Recorded 1975, ECM Records 2012)

tomymontana, Marzz, ultron9 and 6 others like this.
  24. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Jakob Bro - Streams (2016, ECM Records)

X-post with the vinyl thread, but why not. It's good.

Marzz, ultron9, alankin1 and 4 others like this.
  25. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Dominic Miller - Silent Light

New release out today (4/7) - solo guitar, with percussion on several tracks. Sounding great so far. Vinyl version will be released in several weeks.

mwheelerk, tomymontana, Marzz and 4 others like this.