The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Thanks for the rec. I like ambient and textured stuff a lot, but I'd like to hear some ripping from him as well. I'll check out that one!

CrankSomeFrank likes this.
  2. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

I discovered Northern Song (and Steve and Marc Andersen) back around when it came out and it's always been #1 for me, personally, when it comes to Steve Tibbetts. #2 is Safe Journey. I have a few of his other CDs on ECM from later in the 90's and while I enjoy them, nothing, for me, comes close to the space he created on Northern Song. And especially given the technology he used, I mean his brilliant use of tape loops! No one could ever do what he did then nowadays, regardless of the technology--the natural, analogue, organic, ambient sound he got on NS, he just owned it.

Safe Journey
    is as good as Northern Song but it's just different; but the logical progression from NS seemed obvious to me at the time. I gotta say though, this video is so incredibly enjoyable to watch and listen to. Steve is indeed a full blown electric guitarist with all of the idiomatic skills on the Strat just like on his acoustics. His attention to sonic detail is mesmerizing and these guys were not phoning it in on Test. I had no idea they were so good live, and this session, which must be from the mid-80's? sounds as fresh as anything.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The Scriabin Prelude with Mockup is one of my favorite Corea tracks on any album.

CrankSomeFrank likes this.
  4. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Bill Frisell/Thomas Morgan - Epistrophy (2019)
    ECM 2626, HiRes 24/96

[​IMG]

this inevitably led me to revisit this one yesterday...

Bill Frisell/Thomas Morgan - Small Town (2017)
    ECM 2525, HiRes 24/96

[​IMG]

both albums recorded during the same live sessions at the Village Vanguard in March 2016, so no big surprises on the latest album "Epistrophy". It became a diptych, both albums heightens each other in meaning. Beautiful stuff, plain and simple.
    Nice choice of catalogue numbers, too. Makes me wonder what ECM 2727 is gonna be.

5. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

My copy of Larry Grenadier’s The Gleaners arrived today. What a sweet release, full of depth and longing.
    Highly recommended.

brimuchmuze likes this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Today I received a copy of a German pressing of Collin Walcott's Cloud Dance. I've had the U.S. pressing for decades. Wow, it really illustrates – as good as the U.S. pressings can be – how much better the German pressings sound. It's like a veil was lifted and a compression filter disengaged. :righton:

7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The next set of "Touchstones" re-issues, out in May (some great albums here)

1024 Gary Burton / Chick Corea: Crystal Silence
    1030 Gary Burton: The New Quartet
    1032 Ralph Towner: Diary
    1038 Country / Jan Garbarek: Red Lanta
    1041 Jan Garbarek / Bobo Stenson: Witchi-Tai-To
    1043 Bennie Maupin: The Jewel in the Lotus
    1044 Julian Priest: Love, Love
    1048 Paul Motian: Tribute
    1052 Steve Kuhn: Trance
    1120 Bill Connors: Mist & Melting
    1128 Jack DeJohnette: New Directions
    1160 Steve Swallow: Home
    1193 John Surman: The Amazing Adventures ...
    1230 Don Cherry / Ed Blackwell: El Corazon
    1242 Miroslav Vitous: Journey's End
    1339 Edward Vesala: Lumi
    1352 Gary Peacock: Guamba
    1373 Dave Holland Trio: Triplicate
    1390 John Abercrombie / Marc Johnson / Peter Erskine
    1464 David Darling: Cello
    1577 Keith Jarrett: The Blue Note, 3rd CD
    1744 Trygve Seim: Different Rivers
    1752 Arild Andersen: The Triangle
    1760 Enrico Rava: Easy Living
    1906 Susanne Abbuehl: Compass

Mugrug12 and CrankSomeFrank like this.
  8. Josquin des Prez

Are the ones that were originally analog getting AAA vinyl releases? That would go up to 1193 in this list (not sure about the 12xx titles).

9. brimuchmuze

Don't think so. The last batch of 25 were straight re-issues of the previous CDs (in cardboard mini-LP sleeves). No vinyl or high res.

It's been a while since ECM re-released some classic titles on vinyl. Not sure why.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

I don't even buy CDs, nor do I have a player connected to my stereo. If anything I rip them on my Mac Mini and serve the rips using Roon. It would be nice if these showed up in 24-bit on Qobuz.

11. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Two of my favourites on there in the sublime Trance and the equally good Love, Love, and I've always really fancied getting the Bennie Maupin

yesstiles and Mugrug12 like this.
  12. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Miroslav Vitous - First Meeting (1980)
    ECM 1145, recorded May 1979
    with John Surman, Kenny Kirkland, Jon Christensen

[​IMG]

13. brimuchmuze

Agree, but based on the 1st batch of 25 Touchstones it doesn't seem likely.

14. brimuchmuze

I found ten titles that I didn't own already, including everything you mentioned above :) Pre-ordered!

Mugrug12 likes this.
  15. Recordingpianoman

Recordingpianoman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I love this album, which I found in a beautifully disorganized record store in Seattle (one where you don't look for something specific, but randomly find things you didn't realize you needed...). Paul McCandless on winds, Dave Samuels-vibes, David Darling-cello, Ratzo Harris-bass, and the great Michael DePasqua on drums. Very understated, and with Eicher having a writing credit on one of the tracks!

16. Josquin des Prez

Can you please say what the album is? The picture is too low res and your post doesn't indicate it either.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It's the s/t album by the group Gallery.

One trivia note about this album: Michael Di Pasqua is wearing a Subway (the fast food sandwich chain) t-shirt in the back cover band photo. He was involved in running Subway along with others from his family.

18. Recordingpianoman

Sorry about that! It's a self-titled album by Gallery. I think it's the only release by this particular group of musicians. It was released in 1982, and the catalog number is ECM-1-1206.

19. Recordingpianoman

Whoops! I replied before I saw the situation was already rectified... oh well

20. Mugrug12

There was subway in 1982?!
    Learning everyday

21. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Llyria
    [​IMG]

22. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Did you listen to it since ?

23. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Yes! I love it. I think it's even better than Silent Light. "Mixed Blessing" is a masterpiece. To be honest, I was concerned about how the bandoneon was going to fit, but it really works; I'm even getting some vague (likely coincidental) whiffs of Penguin Cafe on some tunes! Only one I'm not crazy about is the title track - those drums!

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't remember hearing of Subway until the 90's, but looking it up on Wiki, yes, it dates back to the late 60's.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  25. Mugrug12

Just grabbed a used vinyl copy of Julian Priester "love love". Gonna take it home and use my special cleaning regimen- mostly shoe polish (just kidding!!) and give her a spin. Never heard this one before but I know it's celebrated by certain folks so I'm excited to hear it.
    ;)
    Happy weekend ECM fans!