The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Yes I checked the CDs after posting and indeed they are analogue recordings.

Regarding the Touchstones packaging: I used to hate CDs in cardboard sleeves but I have changed my mind for two reasons: 1) no plastic 2) I am desperately running out of storage space for my CDs and you can store many more CDs if they are in digipak sleeves instead of boxes.

bluejimbop and vapor minor like this.
  2. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Now playing: Gary Peacock Trio, "Now This" (2015). I always have time for Peacock (and for Joey Baron), but the first time I heard this album I wasn't 100% sold on Marc Copland's piano work. Today it's sounding terrific and I wonder what I was thinking at the time. Funny how that happens! Anyway, this is a late period gem by Peacock.

3. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Bobo Stenson/Arild Andersen/Jon Christensen - Underwear (1971)
    ECM 1012 ST

[​IMG]

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Found this last week (the CD). Both players at their best and one of Burton's last for ECM.

[​IMG]

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Matchbook by this duo is great as well

6. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

7. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Terje Rypdal - Odyssey (1975).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ecarlson

ecarlson Well-Known Member

I have really been enjoying 39 Steps and Up and Coming from the John Abercrombie Quartet. Marc Copeland and Abercrombie really complement one another on both albums. Jacob Young's Forever Young is somewhat similar in that respect with Young and Marcin Wasilewski. Trygve Seim has been all over the albums I've been listening to of late.

Also for you Jakob Bro fans on here the Balladeering trilogy on Loveland records is worth checking out as is the Bro/Knak double album collaboration.

Howard Bleach likes this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

10. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Interesting. I might give this a listen. Rachael Podger just released these as well, but performed on violin.

I have the violoncello versions by Fournier, Starker, Harnoncourt and Bijlsma (all on vinyl). Fournier is my favorite.

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wonderful recording and performance. I have Fournier and Starker(not the others), and they are terrific as well. I'm not a classical expert by any stretch, but I would be surprised if you didn't find her renditions quite stunning.

Just bought this on vinyl will listen later today:

[​IMG]

12. StarThrower62

[​IMG]

This one is becoming my favorite Stanko album.

13. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Everytime I see this thread pop back up I put on an ECM album. I still love this album as much as the first time I heard it![​IMG]

14. StarThrower62

I saw DeJohnette last month. He's really loud in person. At times it was hard to hear Lovano. I can't imagine what he sounded like with the Jarrett trio?

15. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

That's interesting. Were you close to the stage? I saw the Trio back in '93 in Toronto but can't remember anything remarkable about the drum volume. I think I was around 20 rows back.

16. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I saw him in the 80s with Special Edition with David Murray, et al. That was amazing. One of the best jazz concerts I remember. Speaking of David Murray, I also saw World Saxophone Quartet around the same time. They really knew how to put on a great show.

ciderglider likes this.
  17. StarThrower62

I think it was 7 or 8 rows back. But I was on the drum kit side, so maybe that was the problem?

18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

You made me get this one out just now for the first time in over 20 years (vinyl). Beautiful.

Just found this yesterday at Barnes & Noble - 30% off!

[​IMG]

And, used --->

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Haven't had a chance to listen to the bottom three yet.

wellers73 likes this.
  19. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Pat Metheny/Charlie Haden/Billy Higgins - Rejoicing (1984)
    ECM 1271, US promo, cut by Roger Seibel at Wakefield, Quiex vinyl

[​IMG]

20. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Another Saturday morning graced by one of my favorites.
    EW hand picked these selected recordings himself, 1974-2000.
    Favorite partner Jan Garbarek with Rainer Bruninghaus from
    1990, a deliberate, atmospheric venture with the soaring solos
    on a title I enjoy, but don't play as much as I like (that would
    include a lot of my collection--never enuf time).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Stu02 and ciderglider like this.
  21. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

Nice! Descendre is my favorite Rypdal album, and I feel one of the best ECM albums of that era. Iced-out cosmic synth-jazz that has aged remarkably well. When the four-on-the-floor beat drops on "Innseiling," I'm flying.

JakeM, darkmage and Mugrug12 like this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I saw Jarrett's trio twice (1999 and 2004), no drum volume issues.

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

So I need to correct this. Yes I bought this, but it was on cd, not vinyl. I was confusing it with this recent purchase, which of course is on vinyl, and is exquisite. A beautiful 3 record set, in a hard box with extensive booklet/liner notes. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

kiddo4 and wellers73 like this.
  24. ecarlson

Thanks for this! Sliding right over from Copland and Baron on 39 Steps and Up and Coming to Now This. Also enjoying Tangents.

Howard Bleach likes this.
  25. ecarlson

I am finding the Abercrombie Quartet albums to be an unexpected treasure. The First Quartet box as already mentioned on this thread is great. The first three albums (Cat 'N' Mouse, Class Trip, The Third Quartet) with the Third Quartet are also sounding really good which I haven't seen mentioned here. And of course 39 Steps and Up and Coming. I guess with Timeless, Gateway, and the two Towner/Abercrombie albums always getting all the attention I was completely unaware of these albums.