The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Ya, Abercrombie had a lot of great bands. The Quartet from the late 70's is quite different than the most recent quartet of course.

You didn't mention a couple of Trios above. If you haven't heard them, add to your list :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then there is his solo album, and ...

2. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

This is so beautiful!

[​IMG]

I'm listening to the LP at the moment. I have the CD and the 192/24 download as well.

Giving the edge to the LP right now.

3. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Terje Rypdal (1971)
    ECM 1016 ST

[​IMG]

mcwlod, Mike burgess, JakeM and 3 others like this.
  4. vapor minor

Terje Rypdal - What Comes After (1974)
    ECM 1031 ST, recorded August 1973
    original German issue

[​IMG]

US promo leaflet for the wrong album... :sigh:
    [​IMG]

5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Fantastic. Might get to spin it today. I'm a big fan of Jon Christensen's playing as well, so anything he's on, I'm interested in.

Just $10, slightly used. Used ECM Records are almost always in great shape.

6. misteranderson

One of my favorite records of all time.

Mine is standard, no promo sticker, but I thought everything on ECM back then was on something like Quiex II. I can see through mine, like other Quiex records from that period of time (Synchronicity, Peter Gabriel's 4th, The Nightfly).

Mugrug12 and vapor minor like this.
  7. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I have had some bad experiences buying used ECM records on Discogs lately. I find it very hit and miss to buy used ECM records.

bluejimbop likes this.
  8. misteranderson

And speaking of Pat, I've had this one in the collection forever. --->

[​IMG]

White Label Promo, ECM PRO 030.

Recorded Aug. 31, 1977 at the Great American Music Hall, San Francisco
    Radio Broadcast by KJAZ
    "San Lorenzo" Recorded Sept. 4, 1977 at Seattle Opera House
    Radio Broadcast by KZAM

vapor minor likes this.
  9. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

The Kenny Wheeler title is a fairly listened to staple spin for
    weekend mornings. Love this title...

[​IMG]

mcwlod, conjotter, Yesternow and 2 others like this.
  10. misteranderson

I've never bought anything off Discogs. However, I'm in the NYC metro area, and maybe there are so many more of these records around, it's much easier to find them in shops. I've picked up used ECM titles for $5 that were in almost perfect condition.

11. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, I'm sure NYC area is great for that. I'm in St.Louis, and the situation for local record shops is not so good.

12. misteranderson

Sorry to hear that. I'm from Pittsburgh, and the Steel City has some good ones right now. St. Louis is a bigger town, and I imagined things would be better.

13. vapor minor

Impressive! Arguably one of the scarcest ECMs. Great record, too.

14. Josquin des Prez

Last time I went to the one nearest me I didn't see anything in the bins that was M- or even VG++. While I was there a salesperson who knows I like Blue Note jazz told me about a bunch they got in...and they put them all on eBay. I realized bothering to even go there is a waste of time. I haven't been back in years. The other store near me wanted $20 for a U.S. pressed Pat Metheny that was in OK shape. I couldn't find much that was in M-/VG++ condition.

15. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Chris Potter Underground Orchestra - Imaginary Cities (2015).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Been listening to this one a lot lately.
    [​IMG]

17. Josquin des Prez

I scored a German pressing of one my favorite ECM pressings, A.R.C. (Corea/Holland/Altschul). I've had the U.S. pressing for some time, but this is just sooo much better. Wow. IT's a pristine M-/M- copy. I paid about twice what I've found other good ECM German pressings for, but I have no regrets. This one is worth the extra cost to me.

At the same time I also got German pressings of Richard Beirach Eon and Art Lande and Rubista Patrol Desert Marauders. I paid much better prices for these (both for less than ARC alone). These two are new to me and I hope to give them a listen tonight.

[​IMG]

Stu02, bluejimbop, wellers73 and 4 others like this.
  18. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Last night played Paul Motian "dance". A beautifully recorded free jazz effort from Paul, David Izenzon on bass and Charles Brakeen on mostly soprano. All songs are Motian's and while it's not up there with his best imo there's lots of close listening with a big dose of extended upright bass techniques! Izenzon is on another level.

I really love the portrait on the back. Not sure if the others are still with us but RIP Paul...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Josquin des Prez

Art Lande and Rubista Patrol, Desert Marauders is indeed a nice surprise. I got a M-/M- German pressing for $5. I have never heard it before and wasn't expecting much since it's priced so low, but this album is great.

Score!

[​IMG]

20. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Love this record. Purchased when I decided I was going to hear everything Izenzon ever played on (still working on that - ha!).

Brakeen is still living as far as I know, but seems to be MIA. Shame, he's a great player. He's also on the follow-up to this LP, Le Voyage, which I have yet to hear.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  21. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Maybe you've seen this but if not here's something cool for you-

Docu short on the making of the Ornette trio's "who's crazy". Not good for sound quality but there's some cool footage and interviews w Izenzon and the other guys in Paris...

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Howard Bleach likes this.
  22. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Thanks! Yeah, I have seen this but always good to see it again. I wanted at one point to sample part of Moffett's interview to use as an intro to a song.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  23. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I am spending some time listening to my favourite piano trios this weekend and I thought I would list my favourite piano trio albums on ECM this century (a trick to reduce the Jarrett/Corea/Bley/Kuhn presence) so here it comes...

My absolute three favourites are:
    - Vijay Iyer trio: Break Stuff
    - Craig Taborn trio: Chants
    - Stefano Battaglia trio: In The Morning

Little comment on In The Morning: I don't think of Stefano Battaglia as a "true" jazz pianist and to be honest I haven't really cracked his Bill Evans reintepretations but, in my opinion, In The Morning is a masterpiece. The interpretations of Wilder's songs are so perfect that anyone asked to name the songs without knowing the originals would come up with very similar titles.... I mean, listen to River Run and tell me if you can think of a title that doesn't include the words "river" or "stream"...

Other great piano trio albums of this century:
    - both albums by Andersen/Tsabropoulos/Marshall: Achirana and The Triangle
    - Mats Eilertsen trio: And Then Comes The Night (this is one of the best recent ECM releases in my opinion)
    - Giovanni Guidi trio: City Of Broken Dreams
    - Jarrett/Peacock/DeJohnette: Somewhere (there is a sort of eerie atmosphere in this album that somehow sets it apart from the rest of their large production)
    - Colin Vallon trio: both Le Vent and Dance are wonderful.
    - Stefano Battaglia trio: both River Of Anyder and Songways. (They are very long albums and I think they would benefit from editing out one or two tracks on each albums but still they have a number of brilliant compositions)
    - Stefano Bollani trio: Stone In The Water
    - Marcin Wasilewski trio: the first untitled one and Faithful are my favourites, I think.

What are your favourites?

Stu02, mcwlod, ecarlson and 3 others like this.
  24. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

I agree completely with Battaglia's 'In the Morning' - absolutely love that release and listen to it almost weekly. In addition to your fine list above, I also really enjoy Bobo Stenson's 'Serenity' & 'Indium' as well as the Crispell/Peacock/Motian 'Amaryllis'. So many great piano trios on this label!!

Music Geek likes this.
  25. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Nice one... whenever deciding what of his to listen to, that
    feeling of handling sacred scrolls, or something like that,
    seems to occur. A very special musician Eberhard Weber.
    The first solo record of his I listened to, The Following Morning,
    so astounded me that I could never forget the experience ever.
    So many years of enjoying his catalog as leader and sideman.
    Both Solstice records are great too, the second maybe topping
    the first, I'm finally starting to believe.

NP... Seeds of Time is a lively, lovely little ECM beast, everyone
    seems to shine on this and what a line-up it is. One of his
    terrific quintets.

[​IMG]