The “Listening to Music on ECM” thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Chants is the best! Haven't played that in a long time But I love that album. Thanks for this post I'm actually not too hip on ecm piano trios of the new century so I will check these out and look forward to others picks.... thanks again

Music Geek likes this.
  2. Eric S.

Eric S. Forum Resident

Was very happy when I saw the UPS guys backing his truck up into the loading zone right outside my office yesterday since I knew my order from the latest batch of Touchstone releases was out for delivery, and when I got home I had some ripping to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmm, limited to 5 images. Also got Jack DeJohnette's New Directions as the 6th CD in this order.

It was a tough choice this morning but I decided to start the day off with the Gary Peacock title. Loving Erskine's work on this, I really wasn't familiar with him until last year when I picked up the four disc As It Was 'white box' release of his trio, a revelation for me which remains in heavy rotation for me these days.

3. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Indeed I should have included those albums by Bobo Stenson. Contra La Indecision is also very good.

4. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

What always gets me about Eberhard Weber is not just his bass playing, which is so lyrical, but his compositions. They just seem so well thought out and natural. I got to see Eberhard once. Living in Los Angeles I count myself lucky that I did.

5. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I am listening to something discovered serendipitously. I was playing some Ralph Towner Anthem earlier from my Roon library. I got busy with some things and I came back to Qobuz picking this out for me. Now I'm listening to the entire album and enjoying what I hear.

I am home auditioning a Naim NDX2 digital network streamer. It's a native Roon endpoint too. It sounds very impressive (but still not quite up to my analog rig). I think I will buy it. Even my wife wants to get it: I came home the other day and she was playing rock on Qobuz. In 24 years of marriage she has never before played the HiFi on her own. Win-win!

Andy Sheppard, Movements in Colour
    Qobuz picked out the tune "Nave Nave Moe" which prompted me to queue the album from the start.

Reminds me a little of John Surman and Collin Walcott.

[​IMG]

6. Music Geek

Arild Andersen plays beautifully on Movements In Colour. It's a pity that Andersen and Sheppard haven't recorded together again.

J Borland and Josquin des Prez like this.
  7. Harrocks

Harrocks Well-Known Member

wow, this thread is getting my ecm mojo going again properly after too long. Don't feel like I've ever really 'left', but haven't been actively listening for a while.
    Then I see these covers - some of them like old friends (naff I know, but true) ... 'Carry on no.1' indeed :)

8. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

ECM Sunday morning it sounds like, some standbys that never
    fail... / ;{,,, though a song framing Norway (most likely), I'll put
    in for a song dedication to my son, who is just settling in on an
    island in Alaska, He Comes From the North. Someone just
    gave me the vinyl record of Yellow Fields recently. It is in
    great condition too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mcwlod, vapor minor and Mugrug12 like this.
  9. ecarlson

ecarlson Well-Known Member

Nice list! Piano trio albums are among my favorites on ECM. I have many of the albums on your list but the Stefano Battaglia albums as well as Archirana and The Triangle were new to me and I've really been enjoying them. Somewhere was also a Jarrett trio album I hadn't considered so that was a nice surprise. Please keep the recommendations going! What would be on the next tier for you?

I would recommend Equilibrium or Invariant by the Benedikt Jahnel Trio or Black Ice by Wolfert Brederode although I'm not sure they are on the same level. Someone already mentioned Bobo Stenson albums which are some of my favorites. Does anyone recommend Find The Way by Aaron Parks?

Music Geek likes this.
  10. Josquin des Prez

Along the lines of piano trio suggestions. This was another Roon pick for me today, and I queued the full albums afterwards to play. I like it very much and added it to my library.

Steve Kuhn Trio with/Joe Lovano, Mostly Coltrane

[​IMG]

Jim Walker, Harrocks and Wounded Land like this.
  11. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Probably already discussed upthread; I ordered Anouar Brahem's latest, Blue Maqams, yesterday evening.

12. Josquin des Prez

I'm playing this now as a 24/96 stream on Qobuz. I think it sounds great. I'm already a big fan of Holland/DeJohnette. I love the sound of the Oud, but am more familiar with it in its traditional context (middle- and near-eastern music).

mcwlod and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  13. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Just listened to this today as well. Great record!

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  14. BobSmith8901

BobSmith8901 Forum Resident

Find The Way by Aaron Parks highly recommended. Check out his solo record Arborescence too.

Jackie P, Music Geek and Roberto899 like this.
  15. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Tigran Hamasyan, Arve Henriksen, Eivind Aarset, Jan Bang - Atmospheres (2016).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Dream Logic by Eivind Aarset:
    [​IMG]

17. kfan

kfan Forum Resident

Here I am listening to Terje Rypdal, After The Rain, on a quiet Sunday evening and I'm really digging the beautiful sounds.

I own many ECM recordings and I'm embarrassed to admit that this is my first complete listen to a Terje Rypdal recording. This is exquisite and spiritual. Where do I go from here?

[​IMG]

18. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Terje Rypdal is one of my favorite players. From here, I’d say go for Descendre or Waves.

kfan likes this.
  19. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I bought this on release, where it mainly passed me by, but recently my wife brought it back to my attention. Disc one is stunning.
    Tigran is one of my favourite musicians- live he is astounding- and his ECM album with the Armenian monks is an essential.

mcwlod, Roberto899 and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  20. Roberto899

Disc 1 is really amazing.

Dean R likes this.
  21. Roberto899

I would give Chaser or Blue a shot. I would for sure give Ketil Bjørnstad & Terje Rypdal Life In Leipzig a listen. The two trio records with Miroslav Vitous & Jack DeJohnette are really good too.

kfan and brimuchmuze like this.
  22. ecarlson

ecarlson Well-Known Member

Nice. Thank you!

23. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

I've been listeningt to those two a lot.
    I really love many Stanko records, but Dark Eyes has become my favourite one. One of those rare albums I like to listen both late at night as while working or driving.

And this Abercrombie just got stuck in my head and I'm returning to it almost every evening since I've bought it around month ago as a part of this Touchstone series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Music Geek

I fell in love with Terje Rypdal's guitar when I heard The Sea II
    [​IMG]

vapor minor and kfan like this.
  25. Josquin des Prez

I'm almost completely a vinylphile and traditionally somewhat of a digital curmudgeon. However, I just bought a Naim NDX2 I was auditioning for the past couple of weeks, and it's the best digital platform I've ever heard. I've been playing a lot of Qobuz via Roon and discovering some ECM titles.

Here's something I'm listening to now and it's fantastic. Anouar Brahem is a new artist discovery for me and I like what I'm hearing so far. The other night I played Blue Maqams, Thimar and Barzakh. Now I'm playing Le Pas Du Chat Noir and I continue to enjoy what I hear. Love the Oud.

[​IMG]