The LITTLE RICHARD Specialty hits SACD on Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. You need this disk!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

You meant worth every Penniman?

Great disk it is!

2. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I got the MOFI vinyl still sealed. As I recall it was extremely limited so I kept it sealed and never played it. I might just tear it open!

3. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Wonderful cd!

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

SACD now spinning, after years of resting in a drawer. Thanks !

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Depends which one (both from 1989) - the ACE 6CD sessions box sounds very good to me, with the Specialty 3CD sessions box it sounds like limiting and EQ was applied to the selections (from the same transfers?). I highly recommend seeking out the ACE set.

The one advantage of the US Specialty set is the large booklet which you don't get in the ACE CD box (although it has the basic information and some of the text and pictures in the CD booklets) - the European 3CD set is in a small box and comes with an edited version of the large booklet shrunk down so small that you can't read it, even with glasses on but also has another variation of the CD booklets.

Scans from the LP liners and sessionography from the ACE 8LP set can be found here:

Little Richard - The Specialty Sessions

I wonder why the US didn't get the full ACE sets - licensing costs or just not considered viable?

You'd think 6CDs of outtakes and masters from the Specialty recordings would be too much but it's the best sessions outtakes set there is, bar none. Take after take after take of incredible performances all round - it's amazing to hear.

It helps that Richard is not only a force of nature on vocals and piano but he also has the best bands and arrangements. Incredible rhythm and groove. OK, mostly I-IV-V song structures but when it's played like this you understand the essence of rock and roll - it's not about complicated structures, quite the opposite.

Also, they didn't call the mastering engineer Boppin' Bob Jones for nothing - the most extreme foot tapping sounds I've heard (not so with the Specialty 3CD set of sessions remastered by Stewart Whitmore which is less enjoyable to listen to).

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I assume through Discogs, the Greek seller was the only one that had it for a good price.
    Congrats.

RiRiIII likes this.
  7. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member

Reasonable? eBay ranges for the SACD now are $79 to $195

Amazon USA is $79 Amazon UK ranges $59 to $149 in US money

8. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Extraordinary sounding disc with some of the best music ever BUT (on my copy at least) it cuts off the very end of Lucille, which happens to be my favorite Little Richard song!!

2xUeL likes this.
  9. popscene

popscene Senior Member

One of the best SACDs in my collection, both in terms of sound and content. Foundational rock n' roll.

I was fortunate enough to find one for $7.99 in the Tower Records cut-out bin in 2006. How I miss those days...

Al Kuenster likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I am sorry, I didn't realize this was so rare. I bought my copy in 2011 for normal price. I figured it was still out there. I mean, this probably didn't burn up the racks with sales. Maybe it did?

So, I apologize. It's frustrating when one can't find something. I know how that feels..

11. Myke

For me, I've been seeing this on a daily basis, for about the last week. Some recording in my collection, any format, is suddenly OOP, and going for crazy money. Over my 7 years here, I used to see it now, and then, but never daily !?!?

EDIT : 5 years ago : Coming in August - Little Richard on MoFi mono SACD

CBackley and beccabear67 like this.
  12. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Got it. Love it. Play it. One of my all-time favourites.

CBackley likes this.
  13. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm very tempted sometimes to sell stuff that seems to be going for crazy prices. The few times I have, not that I regretted it so much (well maybe some of The Ventures CDs a little) but I would get maybe half the crazy price. Usually I just don't know something is going for a lot... now that I know about this it's a little tempting but not much because it's such a great sounding package, we just got it cheap in the past. :D

14. Myke

Great thing about aging, and retirement is, I have now had the time to garner some of that "wisdom," I used to hear about in my younger years.
    I've already been down the "selling items off, simply to survive " route, and believe me, I did get to taste the other side of "crazy prices," and it was exhilarating !!! Well over $100.00 for an SACD I had bought for $15.99 ?!?!
    But as time passed, I missed a few of those items, and had to rebuy them.
    Now, I'm at peace with enjoying them, in the time I have left, and hopefully, my son, and grandsons benefiting from any sales of those items, after I'm gone.

Mr. Explorer and beccabear67 like this.
  15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

ParloFax, The Killer and Peter_R like this.
  16. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Bought it 6 or 7 years ago, still give it a spin a couple times a year.

17. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

"Rip it Up" is the star here. Fantastic!

18. Thanks Steve; always look forward to your recommendations. Great when you recommend other's work too!!
    Steve has been promoting this release since Aug. 3, '12
    Steve previously promoted ACE [many other forum members as well] in a post on Jan. 13, '07.
    Steve back in Nov. 8, '02 was posting bout the ACE sources & transfers well get us the real deal.
    There have been many threads on this subject over many years; the MFSL is the Forum Fave.
    Dynamic Range Database:
    Album list - Dynamic Range Database
    Can't always go by the numbers.
    The Rhino does rate well tho!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Thank you;
    yes,
    another insanely expensive item,
    with a thread assuming everybody on here is rich and can just simply get this, if they find one.
    NOT affordable by any means.
    Forget it - unless you're rich, of course.
    That seems to be the assumption on this forum far too often - that everyone is rich.
    I'll stick with what I have of him, thank you very much...

20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

If you're not rich,
    here's what you should get:

[​IMG]

This can bring much joy, if you don't have any Little Richard (which is absolutely essential) in your collection.
    I have the 3 CD box set, got it years ago; had this before.

2xUeL likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Thanks for bringing this thread up, i have this copy below and sounds great to me, but looks like i will need to update.
    anyone have this one, what do they think of it?
    [​IMG]
    re-mastering by: Bob Fisher @ Pacific Multimedia, Corp.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  22. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Good compilation, the only downside being the added stereo digital reverb.

23. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Bringing attention to one of the true inventors of rock and roll is always a good thing. And Little Richard compilations are cheap and plentiful. I don't have a problem with Steve recommending this version even if it is hard to find. If anything I'm glad to know there's a "right" sounding version out there.

Prices may be crazy for the MFSL now, but it may not always be that way. Sometimes people stop paying the crazy prices and they come down a bit.

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Bought the SACD when it was new. This is my go to disc for Little Richard. Before that, it was The Georgia Peach collection compiled by Billy Vera in 1991 (with the frighteningly pink cover art).

[​IMG]

I think the pink cover is replaced with a purple one in current listings from streaming services.

There is a lot of overlap between them (21 tracks).

Tracks unique to The Georgia Peach are:

I'm Just A Lonely Guy [B-Side of 1955 "Tutti Frutti" single]
    Kansas City/Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey [1959 single]
    Shake A Hand [1959 single]
    Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On [1959 single]

Tracks unique to the MFSL are

By The Light Of The Silvery Moon [1959 single]
    I'll Never Let You Go [B-Side of 1958 "Baby Face" Single]
    Baby Face [1958 Single]

The Georgia Peach has a slight track list advantage and is available cheap, but the MFSL is the best sounding of the two. Both are great and darn near comprehensive.

SinnerSaint, skisdlimit and bluesfan like this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, if everyone is showing off the compilations they have instead of the MoFi disc, here's what I have.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.