The LITTLE RICHARD Specialty hits SACD on Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs. You need this disk!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Well problem solved!
    Decided to have a look at the shelves and guess what I found - MFSL copy in vinyl.

I had a funny feeling it might be lurking there - and here I was ready to pull the trigger on a $75 copy I had just found on the interwebs. That's the problem having 7000 records on the shelves - not easy to find everything.

Speaking of memory - next to the MFSL copy was my original Specialty Mono copy - and a 2012 RSD copy. I seem to recall there was something special about the RSD release? From original tapes as well?

Davidmk5 likes this.
  2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Sounds like a need to get your collection entered on a spreadsheet or database. Makes it simple to track what you own and avoid unnecessary purchases. :)

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  3. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Stopped that years ago. Now I'm afraid to start it again - sounds like a lifetime of work

4. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I'm usually a stickler for "original artistic intentions" but I do prefer how these songs sound without the artificial reverb added.

5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

BTW, the Mofi Lp is one single album ['Here's Little Richard - 11 tracks] while the Mofi SACD is a 2for1 deal [Here's Little Richard + Little Richard - 23 tracks].

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I don't understand what you wrote at all. Can you restate? Play any Specialty 45 from the 1950s. No reverb.

CBackley and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  7. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Well problem 1/2 solved!

The problem with the SACD remains no way to rip and extract the digital files - and finding the SACD

8. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I grabbed that one a few years ago as a local store was blowing them out , I think it's okay , i spin it in the car .......

My main copies for little Richard are the two Record store day Viny lp's for Here's little richard & the S/T (One red vinyl , the other white Vinyl ) , no idea who mastered the lp's or what the sourcing is , but i enjoy spinning them a lot , they sound really good to me , but that said i have nothing to really compare them to .

Thanks for the thread on the SACD , i'd certainly grab it if i ever see a copy for a reasonable price , you never know what turns up in stores ;)

9. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I don't know the source but I've heard a digital file of "Lucille" without any added reverb, whereas I recently acquired an original Specialty 45 and there is definitely artificial reverb on the track. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure it's the same take. I'm not home now but I'll post links to audio clips later.

10. Steve Hoffman

Make sure it's a 1950's cut, not from Columbia Manufacturing (who added 'verb to everything from every company)...

11. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Is it just me or does Keep-A-Knockin' have some sort of tape warble on the MOFI disc? I like it overall but would use the Ace version for that one track...

clhboa likes this.
  12. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

From memory, this version sounds like mine. The uploader claims it's "from a 1957 Specialty 45" and I'm hearing artificial reverb on his vocals in it (most noticeable during the instrumental breaks):

Let me also add that there appears to be two similar but different takes floating around, which I can most easily differentiate by listening to the inflections in Richard's voice.

13. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Must get this disk! Time to scour the used shops

14. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Well, finally got around to ordering the MoFi SACD.
    Thanks Steve.
    I also went and got the 192/24 FLAC files from HD Tracks, will be interesting to see how they compare.
    On the fence on the vinyl MoFi "Here's Little Richard" from 2008. But may end up picking that one up too.
    Questions for the fanatics:
    1. For the second album, the self-titled "Little Richard", was there a MoFi of that?
    2. Is the Record Store Day release from 2014 all analogue? Ie., is it worth going to get? Or, what is the best version of the second self-titled record?

15. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

Anyone looking rid of the SACD? :-(

16. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I'd be very interested to know how they compare - pls keep us posted. As great as the MoFi is, it drives me nuts every time I play it b/c it cuts off the last note of my favorite LR song, Lucille.

1. I assume you mean on LP. Not as far as I know.
    2. I heard it was AAA but I don't know anyone that's heard it.

James_S888 likes this.
  17. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Cool. Will do. That was also why I decided to get the hi rez download too - comparison. HD Tracks are pretty good normally. I am expecting the 192/24 files to be the DSD files converted and upsampled to 192/24, but....

1. So far as I know, there was never a MoFi vinyl release of Little Richard, the S/T second album, only the SACD. Which I've just picked up.
    2. I "heard" it was AAA. I'm trying to get it confirmed. Anyone here know? Steve? Anybody else in the know?

18. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

The tape drag was on the original single and to me, it belongs there.

19. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I am now surprised to hear the three dimensional monaural sound of the SACD! Amazing!

Myke and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Did you just get it or did you do a system upgrade?

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I happened to find a copy and bought it yesterday.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yup. Me, too! The vinyl has half the number of songs, but the sound is terrific!

24. It is one of finest sounding SACD’s that I’ve ever heard.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

No mofi of 2nd lp

2014 sounds great. Better than my original Canadian record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.